Martin Cranie (2 Viewers)

saveitforthewombles

The problem with “look at other teams” is most teams already had a squad full of championship quality players and aren’t in the process of converting a L1 team into a championship one

Yeah, including those teams who finished below us?

saveitforthewombles

Last season we signed:

- A young midfielder with some of the best stats in europe
- A young striker from this division with great stats in the league below
- A young midfielder from the Prem with great stats in the league below
- A couple of cheap gambles from abroad
- Loaned in a young CB from the Prem who had had a good season in Germany
- A couple of promising young players who had done well in the league below

This season we’ve ;
- A 31yo GK who couldn’t get in a squad last season and last played seriously 4 years ago
- An AM last playing in India who has had his contract ripped up before that with known attitude issues turned down by clubs at this level and below
- A 31 yo striker who was released by a club that was nearly relegated and not rated by their fans
- A young striker who struggled to get in our side last year (I actually rate him, but at £1m you’ve got to question the wisdom considering out budget and squad needs)

We’re now looking at:
- A Norwich U23
- A 35 yo CB
- A player who had no club last year
- A kid who didn’t exactly set the world alight in L1 last year

It feels like we had targets (Walsh, James, Patterson, Twine, Sarkic/Walton, Panzo maybe) who we couldn’t afford and are now scrabbling round the frees and loans like a Football Manager player. Why that is I don’t know, you’d have thought Robins and the scouts would’ve been told the budget requirements.

And we still have most of those players. Now building up the squad. Said it before:

- Moore > Marosi
- Waghorn > Biamou

Plus the benefit a full season in the Championship will have on O'Hare, Walker, Sheaf, Hamer.

We are short in three positions - LWB (Maatsen), CB (Crainie plus one more) and a CM. All have been called out by Robins.

Relax. Trust in the process that has got us this far in a short period of time.

shmmeee

And we still have most of those players. Now building up the squad. Said it before:

- Moore > Marosi
- Waghorn > Biamou

Plus the benefit a full season in the Championship will have on O'Hare, Walker, Sheaf, Hamer.

We are short in three positions - LWB (Maatsen), CB (Crainie plus one more) and a CM. All have been called out by Robins.

Relax. Trust in the process that has got us this far in a short period of time.

My entire point in that post is we aren’t following that process this season.

slowpoke

The problem with “look at other teams” is most teams already had a squad full of championship quality players and aren’t in the process of converting a L1 team into a championship one
And we beat a lot of them Reading, Cardiff, Brentford, Stoke, Barnsley, Millwall(twice) Bristol City, QPR,
or where they all on the beach when we played them ?

COV

We went on a good run at the end, but let’s not pretend we weren’t amongst teams like Derby all season.

You’re saying that some matches last season didn’t count now to try and bulldoze your point across?

saveitforthewombles

How so? Senior player upgrades? A couple of loan signings LWB and CB? And ideally a CM (although James didn't join until mid-season). Struggling to see how we've veered way off course tbh. Oh, and we still have all of the younger players from the year before.

The market has changed too.

Just don't get the negativity - the one thing this management team has bought themselves is trust.

shmmeee

You know full well the point being made.

That we didn’t lose every game therefore we don’t need to improve the squad? I genuinely don’t.

I don’t see how you can have watched us last season and not think we need improving.

COV

That we didn’t lose every game therefore we don’t need to improve the squad? I genuinely don’t.

I don’t see how you can have watched us last season and not think we need improving.

I don’t know why you automatically jump to extremes.

Fact is you don’t have any idea if we’re stronger or not, or indeed if any other club is stronger- we’ve spent millions in the past and gone onto have dire seasons, then some years we’ve spent next to nothing and had better seasons.

You have seemingly also totally lost sight of the position we’re in and how weird this window is, you are expecting us to do things that barely any other club is doing, including those with a lot more money than we have.

shmmeee

Agree to an extent but I think you could make the case that signing Sheaf and Gyo on permanents follows the model. We just had them last season and we have to hope they improve on what we saw last season.

Gyo is a good signing in isolation (I don’t count Sheaf as we made the deal last season and it just kicked in this year. We couldn’t have got out of it). I just question the wisdom of spending £1m on him when we’ve got massive holes elsewhere in the squad.

slowpoke

Of course we need improving Manchester City think they need improving ffs!
Is Gorkeres andWaghorne improvements on Baka and Max
Is Bright potentially an improvement
that could be a significant one
Is the return of a fit Jodi Jones an improvement.
There is still work to be done especially in defence that might take right to the end of the transfer window to end of August.
Let’s cut to the chase do you think Mark Robins is up to the task yes or no.

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

Gyo is a good signing in isolation (I don’t count Sheaf as we made the deal last season and it just kicked in this year. We couldn’t have got out of it). I just question the wisdom of spending £1m on him when we’ve got massive holes elsewhere in the squad.
I don’t disagree entirely but What about the youngsters coming through and that most of the players we had last season are likely developing into established championship players?

Sky Blue Harry H

Some of the 'concerned' posts are being triggered by our pre-season results where we have been fielding patched up sides, weakened due to Cov-id and people returning from injury etc. Expect the posts to continue after the Naarwich game today, then settle down as new signings start to appear and Rose/Hyam return. We'll be fine.

Last edited:

fatso

Turns 35 in September,
Played 23 league games last season and 24 thr season before and 15 the season before that, his age and fitness is a worry for me. In fact he hasn't played 30+ league games in a season since 2015/16.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
He will probably be rotated with Mcfadzeen, neither will play 2 games a week every week, so between them they've covered 1 position, and we will always have that experienced head in the defence.
We've also got Rose, Hyam, Drysdale and Pask competing for a start and no doubt a loan coming in.
Now we just need a decent LWB!

fatso

Uninteresting Martin Crainie fact.
Last week he bought a £900 lawnmower from Pearmans on Corley Moor.(I know this as I bought a lawnmower there today,cost considerably less than £900, and the guy in the store told me).
Maybe we've signed him as a grounds man rather than a player!

Or maybe he has been told to cover every blade of grass?

fatso

But we havnt sold anyone either!
Managing to keep hold of Hamer, Ohare and Dabbo is significant progress for a selling club.

We've also added Waghorn, Gyokres and Bright, and completed the deal for Sheaf.
And dont forget we also have Jones back in the mix.

If we can bring in a couple at the back, and get our covid cases back fit and playing, I'm sure we will be ok.

Just out of interest, I think we invested quite heavily in Gyokres, and MR sees something in him that could transform our front line from last years team (shouldn't be too hard to do)

So it's not all bad news!

skyblueeyesrevisited

One thing we lacked last season was experience. Adding some more experience is good for me. As someone once said ‘You do not win anything with kids’

Greggs

It’s alright, if we get him you can give up, like you said in another thread. Win-win for you.
oh piss off.........
Lets be happy we are signing shit players eh????!!!! You got a season ticket?

Greggs

Cranie Fadz and Drysdale........................

Users who are viewing this thread