London Bridge (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Well more may be dead if he hadn’t been on day release. That’s such a moral maze isn’t it?

Well if he’s been hanged another murderer wouldn’t have received hero status Pete

Sky Blue Pete

Well if he’s been hanged another murderer wouldn’t have received hero status Pete
Very true. Although this labelling doesn’t help anyone. It means someone can look at a man risking his life to save others on a Friday afternoon and not recognise it for what it was

covcity4life

Im not saying i dont believe in redemption

But slitting throat and strangling a disabled girl??? You need more than participating in a pile on to tip the scales to HERO status

Otis

I am always so disturbed by the notion that innocent people would be hanged, or killed by whatever method was chosen. It has happened before and would happen again.

I always think how would I feel if that was a relative of mine and they were wrongly convicted and executed.

Grendel

I am always so disturbed by the notion that innocent people would be hanged, or killed by whatever method was chosen. It has happened before and would happen again.

I always think how would I feel if that was a relative of mine and they were wrongly convicted and executed.

Well two people were wrongly murdered and how would you feel if they were your relatives?

covcity4life

How would you feel if your daughters throat slit?

Otis

Well two people were wrongly murdered and how would you feel if they were your relatives?
Sick to the stomach. This has been an issue debated and debated throughout the ages.

We bring back capitol punishment, innocent people are going be killed by the state.

Grendel

Sick to the stomach. This has been an issue debated and debated throughout the ages.

We bring back capitol punishment, innocent people are going be killed by the state.

How many miscarriages of Justice have their been in the last decade which would have meant the death penalty

covcity4life

How do you think I would feel? Completely devastated.

You are getting away from the point though. We are talking about this one, single, isolated event yesterday.

The guy yesterday seemingly acted heroically.
You are missing the point instead of admitting you are wrong. No one is doubting the act he did yday

Dont call him a hero though . I made up a scenario for terrorist and you refused to call him a hero cos you see how dumb it is

Just apologise and move on. Actually you dont even need to apologise. Just learn from this and move on

Otis

You are missing the point instead of admitting you are wrong. No one is doubting the act he did yday

Dont call him a hero though . I made up a scenario for terrorist and you refused to call him a hero cos you see how dumb it is

Just apologise and move on. Actually you dont even need to apologise. Just learn from this and move on
Ha.

Nice try.

Otis

How many miscarriages of Justice have their been in the last decade which would have meant the death penalty
No idea. One would be one too many.

Seems justice was served yesterday though by the brave people and police at London Bridge and I am very grateful for that.

Otis

You are getting bogged down by one single word.

heroic
/hɪˈrəʊɪk/

adjective
  1. 1.
    having the characteristics of a hero or heroine.

Brighton Sky Blue

A conservative study from the USA found that at least 4% of its executed inmates were innocent. This figure does include the 1.6% who were correctly released before the sentence was carried out but even so shows that innocent people will be killed by the state in a small number of cases.

US death row study: 4% of defendants sentenced to die are innocent

Grendel

No idea. One would be one too many.

Seems justice was served yesterday though by the brave people and police at London Bridge and I am very grateful for that.

None for breach of the terrorist act - why should people have to risk their lives for a creep who should be dead anyway?

Grendel

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well we don't know yet because we've yet to know how many will be overturned in future.

But just a few months ago Sean Hodgson had his murder conviction quashed for a crime 40 years ago. He'd had been long dead.

Other high profile cases are the Birmingham Six and Barry George. Although I can't put names to them there have been several cases of women convicted of murdering their children that have been overturned. Derek Bentley is a famous one who was actually executed. I remember some years ago a guy had his conviction quashed after almost 30 years for murdering a girl in a churchyard. And these are just off the top of my head and I'm not a student of law or interested in wrongful convictions.

Otis

None for breach of the terrorist act - why should people have to risk their lives for a creep who should be dead anyway?
It's a tough one and one that does trouble me greatly.

Thing is with many of these terrorists, they seem happy to die anyway, so it doesn't work from the deterrent angle.

Bottom line is, this scumbag shouldn't have been released.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's a tough one and one that does trouble me greatly.

Thing is with many of these terrorists, they seem happy to die anyway, so it doesn't work from the deterrent angle.

Bottom line is, this scumbag shouldn't have been released.

That is the even bigger danger with terrorists - you risk making them a martyr and are providing ammo for the recruiters to say how the state is anti-islam or whatever.

Grendel

Well we don't know yet because we've yet to know how many will be overturned in future.

But just a few months ago Sean Hodgson had his murder conviction quashed for a crime 40 years ago. He'd had been long dead.

Other high profile cases are the Birmingham Six and Barry George. Although I can't put names to them there have been several cases of women convicted of murdering their children that have been overturned. Derek Bentley is a famous one who was actually executed. I remember some years ago a guy had his conviction quashed after almost 30 years for murdering a girl in a churchyard. And these are just off the top of my head and I'm not a student of law or interested in wrongful convictions.

I’m talking terrorists

Grendel

That is the even bigger danger with terrorists - you risk making them a martyr and are providing ammo for the recruiters to say how the state is anti-islam or whatever.

A lazy ridiculous argument. The sight of khan quivering with fear with a noose round his neck waiting for his spine to crack will not make him a martyr, a law enforce my officer having to shoot the mad fucker is far more likely (though still won’t) to do it

Grendel

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No my first response to a typical leftie apologist NW was to point out this should be for terrorists

Bullshit. You moved the goalposts.

It's also a very skewed idea that the death penalty should be reserved for terrorists. And going back to my original point of miscarriages of justice the Birmingham Six still apply

Grendel

Bullshit. You moved the goalposts.

It's also a very skewed idea that the death penalty should be reserved for terrorists. And going back to my original point of miscarriages of justice the Birmingham Six still apply

Well I’ve already expressed my view on that

Otis

If it was a heroic thing he did, he would be a hero for that one instance yes, if he risked all to save someone's life.

You are looking at it too globally, as if in saying he is a hero for this, he is a hero in anything and everything.

What I said makes perfect sense.

We need to look at this one incident in isolation for what this man did yesterday.
Here.

Astute

Wish I'd have kept my gob shut for once :shifty:

Users who are viewing this thread