Jordan Shipley - is he good enough for league 1 (3 Viewers)

covcity4life

I find Shipley a strange player to comment on as at times I feel he pulls out of 50/50s then at others he makes important tackles. He appears to disappear for long periods but then has a great shot or plays a lovely pass. He has played out of position but contributes with commitment and passion. He provides good balance down the left and helps the full back no end.
He is good enough for L1 but if he wants to play higher must involve himself more on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EXACTLY THIS

His fanboys like to pretend that every1 hates him but it's simply not true. He clearly has his good points. But not consistent enough to command a starting spot currently.

There is no "hating" going on at all. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

covcity4life

'his fanboys' is not ridiculous though?

Don't think anyone is obsessing over him.
I would say the are. Refuse to accept any criticisms of him. At least those that do argue a case for him to be dropped also acknowledge what he does do good.

No need for victim mentality from tho we that want him to retain his spot.

Martin180

The worst part of the whole match day " experience " as a fan is seeing our own supporters boo , moan and jeer one of our own season after season ......

Shipley is a steady player who still has his flaws but at the moment his strengths outweigh them . Get behind the kid and we could mould him into a terrific holding midfield player , or just continue to berate him because "he's shit"

Esoterica

I would say the are. Refuse to accept any criticisms of him. At least those that do argue a case for him to be dropped also acknowledge what he does do good.

Who would you play there instead and what would the team/formation be?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think Shipley is good enough but like many of the squad lacks consistency. Like the team overall plenty of players play a good half then disappear from the match for the rest of it. He is no different. Young lad who is still learning his craft and asked to do so in a position he is not entirely suited for

He is one of those players that doesn't stand out but the team overall loses its balance when he is not involved.

Yes he makes mistakes, but whereas Bayliss gets away with it because is a "star", Shipley gets hammered for it

skybluegod

I think Shipley is good enough but like many of the squad lacks consistency. Like the team overall plenty of players play a good half then disappear from the match for the rest of it. He is no different. Young lad who is still learning his craft and asked to do so in a position he is not entirely suited for

He is one of those players that doesn't stand out but the team overall loses its balance when he is not involved.

Yes he makes mistakes, but whereas Bayliss gets away with it because is a "star", Shipley gets hammered for it

I think that is it.
Bayliss makes just as many mistakes, and also misses a lot of challenges, but because he can go on a great run or can slide through a decent pass it is often overlooked.
Shipley is OK, he's not the best but not the worst. Has bad games, has good games. If he was any better/more consistent he would have left in summer. Simple as really

covcity4life

I think that is it.
Bayliss makes just as many mistakes, and also misses a lot of challenges, but because he can go on a great run or can slide through a decent pass it is often overlooked.
Shipley is OK, he's not the best but not the worst. Has bad games, has good games. If he was any better/more consistent he would have left in summer. Simple as really
I have said on threads that bayliss never makes right pass at right time. why are shipley fans making this narrative that he gets it worse tha anyone else????

covcity4life

Who would you play there instead and what would the team/formation be?

well first off i was happy to give him game time to get back to form btw, thanks for assuming i want him out.

however as it is taking him some time(and once again i must put on record that i am not saying he will never return to form or do anything beneficial) i would look to rest him unless the team are picking up wins which is ok to buy him some more time

i would have given allasani a chance on left but hes now out on loan
so now if shipley needs time out i would be happy to see thomas or hiwula play on the left again and see what they do even if not natural positon. thought hiwula did ok there on opening day

understand argument that they wont track back as much but as i said earlier many a time i see players waltz past shipley so i dont think it would make a big a difference as some think.

djr8369

well first off i was happy to give him game time to get back to form btw, thanks for assuming i want him out.

however as it is taking him some time(and once again i must put on record that i am not saying he will never return to form or do anything beneficial) i would look to rest him unless the team are picking up wins which is ok to buy him some more time

so now if shipley needs time out i would be happy to see thomas or hiwula play on the left again and see what they do even if not natural positon. thought hiwula did ok there on opening day

understand argument that they wont track back as much but as i said earlier many a time i see players waltz past shipley so i dont think it would make a big a difference as some think.

Remember that when Hiwula was on the left it was Doyle and Ogogo in the middle and Bayliss on the right. IMO a midfield with Hiwula, Bayliss and Thomas in wouldn’t be balanced defensively enough. I think this is why Shipley is starting.

covcity4life

Remember that when Hiwula was on the left it was Doyle and Ogogo in the middle and Bayliss on the right. IMO a midfield with Hiwula, Bayliss and Thomas in wouldn’t be balanced defensively enough. I think this is why Shipley is starting.

A good point and i understand the logic behind it. I just dont see shipleys defensive game as good as others do. seems im not alone

Heres hoping he has a great game tomorrow though. we will need it to get anything.

Covstu

So we will then revert to a shed load of attacking players which would probably result in us getting ripped to shreds and conceding more?

covcity4life

So we will then revert to a shed load of attacking players which would probably result in us getting ripped to shreds and conceding more?
or it might lead to us scoring shed loads and winning. I am just saying worth a try if his form doesnt come back soon

but let me get this right, are you saying shipley is UNDROPPABLE

yes or no answer s all thats required

skybluegod

I have said on threads that bayliss never makes right pass at right time. why are shipley fans making this narrative that he gets it worse tha anyone else????

Where have I said CC4L does this?
It is a general statement about a trend i have noticed

Otis

Is anyone saying he's brilliant though and beyond criticism?

Think most of his 'fans' are just saying he does a job.

My stance is that I rate him, but that he hasn't played very well this season so far.

I do think he gives a balance to the side though and also shape. Think that's why Robins is picking him.

covcity4life

Where have I said CC4L does this?
It is a general statement about a trend i have noticed
fair enough but people are responding to me as if i am head of the jordan shipley haters club rather than look at the points i am making. not asking people to agree just not cry as if its so terrible to be thinking of plan bs

Covstu

or it might lead to us scoring shed loads and winning. I am just saying worth a try if his form doesnt come back soon

but let me get this right, are you saying shipley is UNDROPPABLE

yes or no answer s all thats required
no one has ever said he was but to say he isn't good enough for League One is ridiculous. I think people forget he is a young lad and has a lot to learn (and out of position) but I can see why MR is playing him there as there isn't a better solution at the moment

covcity4life

no one has ever said he was but to say he isn't good enough for League One is ridiculous. I think people forget he is a young lad and has a lot to learn (and out of position) but I can see why MR is playing him there as there isn't a better solution at the moment
once again i never said that. there is a thread on him being good enough for league one and i said jurys out as he still so young

this is perfect example of making people out to be haters.

Covstu

Nope, its the title thread that has started the discussion! You are just the most vocal on picking the lads faults out...

Esoterica

I'm not assuming anything, you said:
But not consistent enough to command a starting spot currently.
and so I asked who you would play instead. First rule of troll club is to remember what you've said.

You've now confirmed you'd play a right footed striker who hasn't played in the league for 6 weeks at left midfield when our 1st and 2nd choice left backs are injured. Thanks for the clarification.

covcity4life

I'm not assuming anything, you said:

and so I asked who you would play instead. First rule of troll club is to remember what you've said.

You've now confirmed you'd play a right footed striker who hasn't played in the league for 6 weeks at left midfield when our 1st and 2nd choice left backs are injured. Thanks for the clarification.
i am just making you aware are this isnt case of shipley out no matter what, this is coming about because of a long period without playing well now. as for troll club, leave me out of it. too mature for trolling. i bet you follow youtube streamers too LOL

and yes i would give 2 fight footers a go(striker or left midfield) over a left footed centre mid who is not playing well at left wing. its worth changing it up to see if we can improve. if we dont we can always ut shipley back in and the res tmay help him physically and mentally), not like we are on fire with him in team though so no harm in trying a different player there. Allasani prefereable to that of course

covcity4life

Nope, its the title thread that has started the discussion! You are just the most vocal on picking the lads faults out...

not at all. because people respond with tears i have to repea tmyself so they understand.

shipleys been good for cov. currently hes playing poor. whether u agree or not the discussion really doesnt need so many pages, its jsut people being offended that some fans would be happy to see him replaced for a few games that has led to so much discussion.

rob9872

I'd be inclined to play him at LB tomorrow and Saturday. I thought Willis was half expecting someone behind him to pick Cattermole up for the goal on Saturday. Thomas should have ran back with him, but as our RB I thought JW was too central. Doyle gave the ball away and we never recovered. If we can get Dujon back to his natural RB, then Shipley at LB might offer us another option. Possibly even Bayliss out wide in front of him, allowing Kelly or Ogogo alongside Doyle to be tighter for the next couple of tough fixtures.. Hopefully by then we'll have Junior Brown or Brandon Mason back fit.

covcity4life

I would say a fair few are jeering Shipley. I've certainly heard it.
I havnt. And if they are must be a reason? Youndont really think it's solely cos they hate home town academy players do you?

Easy to make it a case of goodies and baddies but it's not the real world.

It's only October. If he is eventually dropped it doesn't mean he won't force his way back in. No one is giving up on him wanting him sold.

covcity4life

If that's true I accept I'm wrong. I'm not going to put it past the sky blue 'faithful'. Whilst I would like to see him dropped at the moment I'd never boo or jeer the lad.
Doesn't matter. Anyone who enteetains idea of him being dropped must be treated like they boo and jeer

its the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread