Jordan Shipley - is he good enough for league 1 (1 Viewer)

Garryb80

He gives us balance in defence and attack. Yesterday he did loads of decent work helping Sterling (in the way Baker did with Christie a few years back) as did Thomas in the first half too, to the detriment of their own game a bit. Shipley is a good player and the manager will pick him as he does what he’s supposed to do. I’m surprised nobody has picked up that Thomas made way for jones yesterday when Sunderland were effectively down to 10 men. Maybe Robins see’s that Shipley is more important to the team as a whole.
Or maybe Thomas had just clashed with the keeper and potentially had a knock.

Garryb80

He is carrying Michael Doyle. I like Doyle and wish he was 27 but he isn’t he’s 37 and it’s starting to show after an hour or so on the ball Doyler is fine but off it his recovery is wanting and tho opposition start commanding centre midfield, happened again yesterday. Shipley had to adapt his game early yesterday playing in front of a make weight left back and behind a lightweight winger and against some not that long ago premiership players, was Shipley better yesterday than Bayliss ? imo yes, was he better than Thomas ? Imo yes.
Better than both..no.. worse than them.. no. Thomas has no end product but up to that point he offered far more. A point made several times by the commentators on Sky. Bayliss too has far more to offer.

eastwoodsdustman

Better than both..no.. worse than them.. no. Thomas has no end product but up to that point he offered far more. A point made several times by the commentators on Sky. Bayliss too has far more to offer.
A team is a sum of all of the parts. We’ve looked disjointed whenever Shipley hasn’t played. With the others available it’s clear that Robins appreciates what Shipley offers and keeps picking him.

Magwitch

Don’t get me wrong Bayliss is potentially a class act I like Thomas too but Shiperly offers something neither have it’s called the ugly side of football all good teams have them.

Garryb80

Don’t get me wrong Bayliss is potentially a class act I like Thomas too but Shiperly offers something neither have it’s called the ugly side of football all good teams have them.
I disagree with this. He barely makes a challenge so I don't get where this notion he does 'the ugly side' comes from. Bayliss makes far more challenges than him and yet still offers more.

Garryb80

A team is a sum of all of the parts. We’ve looked disjointed whenever Shipley hasn’t played. With the others available it’s clear that Robins appreciates what Shipley offers and keeps picking him.
To me he offers the same as Vincenti did last season. Limited midfielder with a decent work ethic and doesn't make many challenges. Difference being Vincenti got dog's abuse on here while Shipley is bullet proof with many. Similar to Chaplin being given exemptions but Bakayoko written off after 1 match

djr8369

A good example from yesterday was when Sunderland were breaking down our right with most of the team dragged out of position. It was Shipley who appeared from the opposite side and got a foot in to put the ball out and break up the attack. I think Sterling had a better game because he wasn’t playing behind Thomas and had Shipley covering him.

MR said the other week “he does a lot of work fans don’t see”. I wasn’t sure what he meant but after yesterday I’m starting to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magwitch

To me he offers the same as Vincenti did last season. Limited midfielder with a decent work ethic and doesn't make many challenges. Difference being Vincenti got dog's abuse on here while Shipley is bullet proof with many. Similar to Chaplin being given exemptions but Bakayoko written off after 1 match
With respect you are talking tripe

Sky Blue Harry H

A good example from yesterday was when Sunderland were breaking down our right with most of the team dragged out of position. It was Shipley who appeared from the opposite side and got a foot in to put the ball out and break up the attack. I think Sterling had a better game because he wasn’t playing behind Thomas and had Shipley covering him.

MR said the other week “he does a lot of work fans don’t see”. I wasn’t sure what he meant but after yesterday I’m starting to see.

Thank you - remember that piece of play specifically, and thought the same at the time (covered their break from the other side of the pitch and made a vita challenge).

covcity4life

Lol he kicked ball out for s throw in. Man of the match hahahah

All this ugly side bullshit. Opposition run past him like it's a dad vs son in garden. And he's scares of 5050s and headers. Ugly side lol

Only thing he offers is a good shot and fact he has a brain for right pass. He just rarely executes. Still potential to get better but he doesn't need to be a starter until that happens!

Skybluefaz

Lol he kicked ball out for s throw in. Man of the match hahahah

All this ugly side bullshit. Opposition run past him like it's a dad vs son in garden. And he's scares of 5050s and headers. Ugly side lol

Only thing he offers is a good shot and fact he has a brain for right pass. He just rarely executes. Still potential to get better but he doesn't need to be a starter until that happens!
These are my thoughts exactly. He's so easily beaten in one on one's it's ridiculous.

Irish Sky Blue

I think Bakayoko was written off by some before he played a match.

Otis

We lose balance to the side when Shipley doesn't play.

Simple really.

He's not played particularly well at all, but he does give the side balance.

Adge

He's our Poundland James Milner. All over the pitch, battling away, chasing and harrying and refusing to give the opposition time to play. A team is the sum of its parts, and Shipley is an integral cog in the machine right now. How people can't see his value at this level is beyond me.
People will forgive lack of ability I guess if they see maximum effort and to be fair to Shipley he does this which nobody can really question. Compare this to “some of our own” amongst that abysmal team that went down to L2 without even a whimper who didn’t really try at all whilst in the Sky Blue shirt.

johnwillomagic

Think he is good enough for league one - weird one although he hasn't really played that well this year our team looks more balanced with him in it.
There is a temptation to hook him and play Jones and Thomas both wings but think that would leave us really suspect defensively.

I think at the moment he should keep a start xi shirt...just!!!

djr8369

Think he is good enough for league one - weird one although he hasn't really played that well this year our team looks more balanced with him in it.
There is a temptation to hook him and play Jones and Thomas both wings but think that would leave us really suspect defensively.

I think at the moment he should keep a start xi shirt...just!!!

Think we could play those two on the wings of the two in the centre were good enough to control games.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As a squad player yes. He's not going to pull up trees but will provide a good balance doing stuff that goes unnoticed like positioning and can cover for a few positions if absolutely necessary. I'd be more likely to play him away than at home though, where I'd prefer a more attacking option.

Covstu

He hasn’t been a stand out player but I don’t think he ever will. I don’t like him on the left as he has little pace compared to our options on the right and I think this is why people are starting to call him out. Would love to see him in the centre, Doyle was overrun yesterday unfortunately but equally I don’t think Doyle looks as good without Kelly.

Always liked shippers, he adds a lot to the team

Mucca Mad Boys

You say that, but Shipley v Oxford played his part in two goals. By contrast, how many goals has Bayliss scored/assisted? 0. Likewise with Thomas.

Bayliss is a better player, but so far he hasn’t been that productive either.

ccfchoi87

You say that, but Shipley v Oxford played his part in two goals. By contrast, how many goals has Bayliss scored/assisted? 0. Likewise with Thomas.

Bayliss is a better player, but so far he hasn’t been that productive either.

That's the thing, Shipley not only provides shape and discipline to the left midfield role but he pops up with big contributions regularly. We are a much better team with him in it despite him not having as much ability as others.

lifeskyblue

I find Shipley a strange player to comment on as at times I feel he pulls out of 50/50s then at others he makes important tackles. He appears to disappear for long periods but then has a great shot or plays a lovely pass. He has played out of position but contributes with commitment and passion. He provides good balance down the left and helps the full back no end.
He is good enough for L1 but if he wants to play higher must involve himself more on the ball.

City Boy

Drop him and play two attack minded wingers that will run at both their full-backs, then see how much support that full-back gives to their winger...it will diminish. The left side of our pitch currently has no threat whatsoever unless its JCH out there trying to show Shipley how to do stepovers but failing miserably haha.

Granted, our goal came from the left, but that was after 2 defenders decided not to clear a ball that had ricocheted forward.

fernandopartridge

I thought he played well today. He's not a 'jodi jones/Luke thomas' but he adds something to the team and gives us balance, shape and defensive cover. Made a number of important blocks and one of the reasons sterling seemed happier to bomb forward, he also tucks in and covers when bayliss bombs forward.

He ain't no world beater, but he's nowhere near out of his depth in this league. The lad is still only 21 and only in his second season of first team football. Give him a break.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Indeed, some of our fans are utter drips

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He hasn’t been a stand out player but I don’t think he ever will. I don’t like him on the left as he has little pace compared to our options on the right and I think this is why people are starting to call him out. Would love to see him in the centre, Doyle was overrun yesterday unfortunately but equally I don’t think Doyle looks as good without Kelly.

Always liked shippers, he adds a lot to the team

I was wondering earlier if Shipley could eventually be groomed for the Doyle role, as he does a lot of unseen work and prefers the centre by all accounts. I think he could, provided two things:
1. He stops pulling out of challenges
2. He becomes more vocal and starts to organise, which may come as he gets older and more of a senior player.

He's someone I can see being here for years because he's got that versatility but doesn't have enough for other teams to want to buy him. A bit like Telfer.

Esoterica

Hadn't even made a first team start in L2 1 year ago so has to be allowed more time to fully adapt to L1.

You couldn't play an attack minded left winger anyway while Bayliss and Thomas are in the side and Doyle is the DM. What makes Bayliss great can also be dangerous for the team when they nick the ball off him on one of his dribbles, especially when Doyle can't cover the ground fast enough to provide meaningful cover on the break these days. Shipley's defensive discipline/awareness is what makes him valuable to the side at the moment and why we have a better balance with him in it.
Replace Doyle with a more mobile DM and you could look at alternatives to Shipley but until someone steps up their leadership contributions then Doyle won't get ousted and consequently neither will Shipley.

JulianDarbyFTW

A point somewhat linked to Shipley is that the whole raft of new players (and I understand some were for the development squad) have been left on the bench or in the reserves because last year's players have managed to step up to the plate.

Users who are viewing this thread