January Transfer Window (6 Viewers)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I would love to see 3 or 4 decent players come in. Yet again, I know it is never going to happen. We do seriously need some reinforcements though.

shmmeee

Middlesbrough, Bournemouth, Swansea, Barsley and Hudds are the clubs Sky Sports have linked with O'Riley. We're at least a better proposition than the last two in that list, but would be tough trying to compete with Bournemouth and the others.
Not in terms of what £ we could offer to both MK Dons & the player.

And herein lies the issue with SISU. We have bigger crowds than all bar one but it’s laughable to consider us competing with them.

Close thread. Robins says nothing in nothing out.

I'm sure he pretty much says this nearly every transfer window, if people get moved on then we will have funds for new players, its as simple as that, we got rid of Bright and Signed Todd Kane.

Winny the Bish

Close thread. Robins says nothing in nothing out.

giphy.gif

shmmeee

I'm sure he pretty much says this nearly every transfer window, if people get moved on then we will have funds for new players, its as simple as that, we got rid of Bright and Signed Todd Kane.

Sort of, last season he said we couldn’t sign anyone ready made and “it’s all ifs and buts and I don’t know yet”.

Season before he said no one in, but we sold McCallum and loaned him and Giles in.

Brighton Sky Blue

He does usually refer to ‘irons in the fire’ or hoping to get one or two if that’s his intention. What he’s said here matches up with what we’ve heard from the ITKs about just getting people tied down to contract extensions instead.

The squad as is will probably go on to get the same points total as last season with a similar league position. From how we started the season that can only be seen as a disappointment. The owners aren’t fit for purpose.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I see Ryan Giles has been recalled again, not saying we should go in for him, but that is interesting decision from Wolves I think, unless they are gonna loan him out to a better performing team

SBT

End the season already. What is the point if we aren’t going to strengthen

Not that anyone’s delighted with no new signings in January (I think we’re looking a gift horse in the mouth), but hasn’t this current squad shown that it’s capable of being pretty damn good in this division? I wouldn’t mind seeing another 20 games personally.

Brighton Sky Blue

End the season already. What is the point if we aren’t going to strengthen
Not that anyone’s delighted with no new signings in January (I think we’re looking a gift horse in the mouth), but hasn’t this current squad shown that it’s capable of being pretty damn good in this division? I wouldn’t mind seeing another 20 games personally.

It’s shown it’s dangerously thin and has no depth except at RWB and up front

shmmeee

I think the squad has shown they can’t all play at the intensity required without backup TBH. And it’s paper thin (see Dabo at CB, Wilson in, No cover for Hamer, etc)

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I think the squad has shown they can’t all play at the intensity required without backup TBH. And it’s paper thin (see Dabo at CB, Wilson in, No cover for Hamer, etc)
Imo Wilson is a good back up to Moore, there is better out there obviously but you must remember who we are and where we have come from, we aren’t necessarily the most attractive club to join due to finance, but we were definitely overperforming

Liquid Gold

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Brighton Sky Blue

The no one in or out is a bit silly for me. We have a fair amount of deadwood that needs to go out anyway. The fact we will keep those which are not up to this level is very disappointing in my view.

Doesn´t exactly do a lot to encourage the supporters.

Ahead of summer we were told the more tickets are sold the more help the manager will get. Turned out to be bollocks and we’d spend the same amount regardless.

shepardo01

The no one in or out is a bit silly for me. We have a fair amount of deadwood that needs to go out anyway. The fact we will keep those which are not up to this level is very disappointing in my view.

As people have said though,
Re the "deadwood"... there has to be someone who wants said "deadwood"!!
It's not as easy as just getting them "out"!

Terry_dactyl

Yeah…although I would be happy if we tied down O’hare and Hamer to longer term contracts.
If we can keep the nucleus of the side and slowly improve the team every year, seems a sensible way to go.

Liquid Gold

As people have said though,
Re the "deadwood"... there has to be someone who wants said "deadwood"!!
It's not as easy as just getting them "out"!
Depends what we're categorising as deadwood though.

Shipley I'm certain has no future here but would be wanted by a L1 club. We may be holding out for a fee which we won't get but at that point you may as well cut your losses and give him away with a hefty sell on clause.

If Hilsner and Jobello are never going to play again then cancel their contracts and possibly save on a little bit of wage.

shepardo01

Depends what we're categorising as deadwood though.

Shipley I'm certain has no future here but would be wanted by a L1 club. We may be holding out for a fee which we won't get but at that point you may as well cut your losses and give him away with a hefty sell on clause.

If Hilsner and Jobello are never going to play again then cancel their contracts and possibly save on a little bit of wage.

Shipley - again, can't just "give him away" He is under contract. Loan move could be a possibility, but he has been in match day squads, and with Covid biting, is a candidate to play.

Hilsner and Jobello - you can't just cancel a contract. Mutual consent is a possibility, but likely to only happen if they have a suitor that is willing to take them on. What would you do if your employer said that you were going to have your contract cancelled - for no reason- and had nothing lined up?

shepardo01

Sure, but it doesn´t even sound like they are going to try.
These days, you don't really try.
Every club in the football league will know about players that aren't playing (and of course those that are!).
You don't even need to go to games, or even u23s games as if they are recorded, they are usually accessible via platforms such as Wyscout. (Used by agents, scouts, analysts etc)
People will be fully aware of Shipley, Hillsner and Jobello.

larry_david

Shipley will go. He's been in almost every since squad for the past 2 months and not once stepped on the pitch. What's worrying about this is, no matter what the score or the outcome of the match, MR doesn't use him but instead of bringing in a young u23s player for the experience or the step up, he keeps listing Shipley. Why is that? Do we not have a single u23 player who could step up in a crisis?

Liquid Gold

Shipley - again, can't just "give him away" He is under contract. Loan move could be a possibility, but he has been in match day squads, and with Covid biting, is a candidate to play.

Hilsner and Jobello - you can't just cancel a contract. Mutual consent is a possibility, but likely to only happen if they have a suitor that is willing to take them on. What would you do if your employer said that you were going to have your contract cancelled - for no reason- and had nothing lined up?
I'm sure you could give Shipley away to a L1 club for free. I think it's just playing semantics to say you can't when really what we're talking about is arranging a free transfer for a player who isn't wanted here, will want to play football and will be wanted at that level. If we're keeping him because of a last resort of COVID then it's a waste of resources as if he's gone we can call a game off for not having 14 players.

Hilsner and Jobello, again this is semantics. You can pay up a players contract and release them unilaterally. This may mean we make no savings but there will be secondary costs aroun insurance, training etc. that we save on if we aren't going to use them anyway. If we were to offer them a mutual termination on 90% salary I'm sure we'd get acceptance as they can then pick up a new club where they can play.

"What would you do if your employer said that you were going to have your contract cancelled - for no reason- and had nothing lined up?"

That is a false equivalence. What is more like reality is being on a 12 month contract somewhere and after 9 months them telling you they don't need you, paying you 3 months instead of notice and then letting you get on a find another job.

Users who are viewing this thread