January Transfer Window (2 Viewers)

oldfiver

If you have a wage budget for the season and you give a player a new contract on an extra 2-3k a week then that money will come from that wage budget, meaning you can't then use it to pay another player you're looking to sign.

C'mon G. We know you're smarter than that.

Isn't extending a player contract almost like buying a new player?

Frostie

Could do without the extra £11k+ for VAR this weekend too tbh, especially as it's bound to screw us somehow.

Sky Blue Harry H

Parachute payment clubs = money to throw around
A handful of clubs with owners who have deep pockets = money to throw around (Stoke, Forest, QPR, perhaps now Hull)
Other clubs who throw money around e.g. Reading, Derby, Bristol City = impending doom
Clubs who don't throw money around (having had fingers burnt) Luton, us ?

Until they deal with the top group, the rest are trying to secure one potential promotion place (if that). A team outside that top group could easily spend £10m and fail to get promoted....they need to level up the playing field.

Last edited:

Grendel

Frostie

I was trying to think of another Prem team we’ve played recently. Was it on at Watford a couple of seasons back?

In the EFL Cup? Don't think so, believe it's only used at Wembley for the Semis & Final in that competition.

oldfiver

Could do without the extra £11k+ for VAR this weekend too tbh, especially as it's bound to screw us somehow.

Dont Southampton have to pay it?

They might then recover it from sales as they can deduct expenses

So we lose 45% of £11k ??

Frostie

Dont Southampton have to pay it?

They might then recover it from sales as they can deduct expenses

So we lose 45% of £11k ??

Sorry, you're right that I quoted the total cost which is shared by the 2 clubs:

FA Cup games where VAR is used, sees a charge of £9,251 + VAT made by PGMOL.

That VAR money is deducted from the gate receipts amongst other expense, before the money left over is shared 45% for each club and 10% into the central pot to help fund the prize money.

So I guess will cost us more like £5k

RegTheDonk

Didn't realise the VAR cost, presumed the FA would pay that. Bloody hell.

Would it be cheaper to bribe the officials? :D

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

What position are we in ?

The Twilight zone.

giphy.gif

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If we have to contribute towards VAR costs, then they should leave it out.

What if we refuse to pay and just say we want the game without it? If we were playing any team outside the prem we wouldn't have it anyway. Especially as chances are it'll work against us anyway.

Ccfcisparks

Watching that Bushiri who we were linked to in the summer play for Hibs tonight. Good job we didn’t go in for him, he’s absolutely shite

steve cooper

Ah ok that makes sense sorry for making assumptions

I’m pretty certain it contained a significant increase in salary from now but again I may have assumed this
It says here O'Hare signed a new contract, I don't read that as an extension to an existing contract.
I think it's fair to assume an increase in pay, however that may not start until the end of his existing contract.

SlowerThanPlatt

It says here O'Hare signed a new contract, I don't read that as an extension to an existing contract.
I think it's fair to assume an increase in pay, however that may not start until the end of his existing contract.

No it would start as soon as he signed it

SlowerThanPlatt

We need to go back to the model we had when Sisu took over which means buying the best young L1 talent really. Which you won’t do for nothing. We should be looking at the likes of Twine and Sykes in L1 to move us forward but they won’t come for free.

Brannagan is the one we should try to sign if Oxford don’t go up - Blackpool had 3 bids turned down

Users who are viewing this thread