January transfer window (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

I’m sure we are scouring the market for a left back we have the young Scottish lad Josh Reid who I would of hoped be knocking the door by now he has had Scottish premier experience with Ross County but not come to the plate yet which is disappointing.

better days

I’m sure we are scouring the market for a left back we have the young Scottish lad Josh Reid who I would of hoped be knocking the door by now he has had Scottish premier experience with Ross County but not come to the plate yet which is disappointing.
I suspect Robins is happy with Todd Kane as cover for Maatsen
Wouldn't be surprised to see Kane hold onto his spot if he carries on playing as he did when Maatsen was sent off

junglej13

Its really funny how the fan base split on Maatsens performance vs Bristol , i actually thought like 50% of us that he was having a great game untill sending off
He will clearly go on to become a very good player in my eyes but is very wasteful at the moment. He's been much better than Van Aanholt was during his loan here.

CanadianCCFC

I'm not convinced on Maatsan, so a LWB for me and cover or someone to challenge O'Hare

giphy.gif

SBAndy

Appreciate we’re well stocked for strikers, but Ellis Simms at Everton only has 7 months remaining on his contract. Worth a look?

Terry_dactyl

On the basis of watching a couple of YouTube vids, and speculation on here, I wanted us to sign Scott Twine last summer.
Seeing that he appears to be doing rather well this season I haven’t changed my baseless faith that we should sign him in January.
I’m not even sure which position he plays but in my mind he’s a sort of attacking midfielder, who can also play ‘up top’.
I’m basically imagining he’s a sort of David Platt/Platini/Cantona sort of player…playing for MK Dons.

Edit: Bergkamp!

fatso

Its really funny how the fan base split on Maatsens performance vs Bristol , i actually thought like 50% of us that he was having a great game untill sending off
But he got sent off for letting his man run off him unchallenged and then panicked and tried to drag him down in the box!
In short, what he did before that is irrelevant once you give a pen away and get sent off.
He got out of the shit because Brizzle were absolutely crap in the second half.

baldy

JCS has played 13 championship games wouldn’t really call that provern.
MacFadz about a 100 so fair enough that is.

Don‘t be dense - JCS played for Blues,(that’s Birmingham City in case you didn’t know),a couple of years ago too

long way home

MR must be happy with the way the squad has performed but is no way going to be happy if he can't improve the squad. The only issue he has is if the owners will allow him to break the budget to push on if not he has to offload some. That is not going to be easy as the list is long Joebello, Hilsner, Shipley, De Costa, Drysdale and Pask are names that are closer to an exit door than a 1st tram changing room. So would not be shocked to see those being moved on. Another name to consider is Walker, could he be someone we could cash in on or is he happy fighting for a place.

As for ins extend O hare & Hamer, try to get Eccles back fully fit and look at 2 potential signings that would get into every game day squads. The position are a left sided def LWB/CB and competition in the Mid a box to box type. If we get that it's a good window, holding on to O hare is key I would of thought.

SleepyGinger

Appreciate we’re well stocked for strikers, but Ellis Simms at Everton only has 7 months remaining on his contract. Worth a look?
Surprised he didn’t go out on loan this season. Looked good at Blackpool last year I’m sure there’s a few teams in this league that would be interested

Tea & Busquets

Surprised he didn’t go out on loan this season. Looked good at Blackpool last year I’m sure there’s a few teams in this league that would be interested
would’ve shouted him ahead of Street but i could’ve sworn he was in Everton’s plans, he’s bloody good.

Offhegoes

McCallum is a better player at this moment in time, but Maatsen is a young kid, just getting used to this level, he will make the odd bad mistake (like his red card against Brizzle) but there's a lot of development opportunity in him, he has the potential to play at the highest level.

McCallum was good in the air, and defensively sound, but Maatsen is faster, has more trickery, and offers far more attacking threat. Some of McCallum passing last season was shocking. + We're 4th in the league, with 3 of the same back 5 that played regularly last season. I would suggest Maatsen is an upgrade.

Sky Blue Pete

McCallum was good in the air, and defensively sound, but Maatsen is faster, has more trickery, and offers far more attacking threat. Some of McCallum passing last season was shocking. + We're 4th in the league, with 3 of the same back 5 that played regularly last season. I would suggest Maatsen is an upgrade.
Think the analyst stuff would say it’s our wing backs are meaning we are conceding as all our centre backs are performing. It’s such a balance though as they make us tick going forward often

SkyBlueMatt

With Maatsen, Kane & Dabo covering the RB & LB positions, it's unlikely we'll be able to bring in anyone who is considerably better in Jan. I can't see any point there. ST, CB positions are also fine.

If we are going to have any money to spend, it has to go into midfield.

Offhegoes

Pask and Drysdale don't seem to be part of MR's plans, I wonder if Robins is thinking George Burroughs and the new lad Abel Alabi may be adequate cover for the CB position. If we lost JCS and McFadz to injury (or suspension), one of those would need to be called upon. I don't want to see Dabo or Sheaf there again.

larry_david

Drysdale has played league 2 in a promotion winning side and league 1 in a mid table team. He's also just turned 22, whilst admittedly not young young, he's still young and I can't imagine he's a write off just yet. Leave George B and Alabi where they are for now.

blunted

There’s a lot more to it. More important factors are we are no longer playing a league 2 standard striker and a conference standard goalkeeper. Also Sheaf is a huge improvement on kelly and James.
Moore to date has been a massive improvement. Gyo and Godden (now fully fit for the first time since we signed him) likewise. Think Sheaf is class but can lose concentration near the end of games. Kelly is an integral part of our squad and got a contract extension for more than just his footballing ability which is fine for the Championship. James was head and shoulders above most of the midfielders in the Championship last season. He would be a Coventry player and in the team ahead of Sheaf (who is still learning) if he had signed for us. The reason James isn't a Cov player were his wage demands balanced against his injury problems. It is no coincidence he was one of the first players we tried to sign in the close season. I think McCallum slightly edges it over Maa who is still making those learning curve errors. If I had to bet on who will end up the better player, I would say Maa (barring injuries). McCallum is older with more experience. He made his mistakes with us and before his injury was progressing nicely at QPR. We could use McCallum's superior goalscoring ability and those long throws but that train has left the station.

Sky Blue Pete

Moore to date has been a massive improvement. Gyo and Godden (now fully fit for the first time since we signed him) likewise. Think Sheaf is class but can lose concentration near the end of games. Kelly is an integral part of our squad and got a contract extension for more than just his footballing ability which is fine for the Championship. James was head and shoulders above most of the midfielders in the Championship last season. He would be a Coventry player and in the team ahead of Sheaf (who is still learning) if he had signed for us. The reason James isn't a Cov player were his wage demands balanced against his injury problems. It is no coincidence he was one of the first players we tried to sign in the close season. I think McCallum slightly edges it over Maa who is still making those learning curve errors. If I had to bet on who will end up the better player, I would say Maa (barring injuries). McCallum is older with more experience. He made his mistakes with us and before his injury was progressing nicely at QPR. We could use McCallum's superior goalscoring ability and those long throws but that train has left the station.
Says who about James?

Users who are viewing this thread