James Maddison sell on clause? Bid from WEST HAM (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Grendel

When he was with us either as our player or a loan back we were promotion contenders. It was the following season we were relegation fodder.

Oddly enough as I actually attend games I am aware of that. My point is the majority of his appearances resulted in a down turn in form - it’s impossible to see why that would improve so dramatically it would have bridged the point gap to survive.

If we really have 3 million then that’s more than Stones was purchased for and it’s a very good deal.

skybluetony176

Oddly enough as I actually attend games I am aware of that. My point is the majority of his appearances resulted in a down turn in form - it’s impossible to see why that would improve so dramatically it would have bridged the point gap to survive.

If we really have 3 million then that’s more than Stones was purchased for and it’s a very good deal.

Are you for real. Have you seen the quality of his football this season? He was not too shabby for Aberdeen last season either.

He’s a very decent footballer. It wouldn’t kill you to give him some credit for that. He or a player with his ability could have made a big difference last season, we never really did replace him. We didn’t have a single player with his attributes last season not even to the standard he was playing at in the 2015/16 season let alone the standards he’s been reaching since.

Grendel

Are you for real. Have you seen the quality of his football this season? He was not too shabby for Aberdeen last season either.

He’s a very decent footballer. It wouldn’t kill you to give him some credit for that. He or a player with his ability could have made a big difference last season, we never really did replace him. We didn’t have a single player with his attributes last season not even to the standard he was playing at in the 2015/16 season let alone the standards he’s been reaching since.

This is a discussion on transfer value. His value wouldn’t have increased by relegation. I don’t watch Scottish football and I haven’t seen him at norwich - if you have it’s nice to see you are watching some live football for a change. The fact remains no one else wanted this player at the time for such an apparent giveaway price.

skybluetony176

This is a discussion on transfer value. His value wouldn’t have increased by relegation. I don’t watch Scottish football and I haven’t seen him at norwich - if you have it’s nice to see you are watching some live football for a change. The fact remains no one else wanted this player at the time for such an apparent giveaway price.

11th game of the season yesterday for me thanks. Not sure why you felt the need to make me make that point. All you’ve done is make yourself wrong twice.

Surely even you can see that we never had a player of Maddison’s quality last season, even replacing Maddison’s quality he possessed when he was with us and he’s only got better since. Diluting the quality of your squad season on season is a recipe for relegation and that’s what happened.

Also kind of ironic (maybe that should be moronic) that you admit that you haven’t seen him play either in Scotland or for Norwich. It’s like you’re admitting that you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about as part of your argument as to why you’re right. Well that and convincing yourself that I don’t go to watch us play so therefore you must be right.

You’re admitting that you’re basing your opinion on a combination of something you don’t know anything about (ie how Maddison has progressed as you’ve confessed to not even giving his career a passing glance) and complete fantasy (as you keep making out I don’t attend games). You’re not ever going to be right basing your opinions on that and you must be a special kind of moron if you’ve convinced yourself you are.

Grendel

11th game of the season yesterday for me thanks. Not sure why you felt the need to make me make that point. All you’ve done is make yourself wrong twice.

Surely even you can see that we never had a player of Maddison’s quality last season, even replacing Maddison’s quality he possessed when he was with us and he’s only got better since. Diluting the quality of your squad season on season is a recipe for relegation and that’s what happened.

Also kind of ironic (maybe that should be moronic) that you admit that you haven’t seen him play either in Scotland or for Norwich. It’s like you’re admitting that you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about as part of your argument as to why you’re right. Well that and convincing yourself that I don’t go to watch us play so therefore you must be right.

You’re admitting that you’re basing your opinion on a combination of something you don’t know anything about (ie how Maddison has progressed as you’ve confessed to not even giving his career a passing glance) and complete fantasy (as you keep making out I don’t attend games). You’re not ever going to be right basing your opinions on that and you must be a special kind of moron if you’ve convinced yourself you are.

No you haven’t a clue about how the transfer market works. How a player progresses beyond transfer is clearly an irrelevance as he will increase a fee from performing in the championship . His value at the time is his value and I repeat no other better fee was offered.

Were fleetwood wrong to sell Vardy for the fee they got? No.

To be fair when we argued about Wilson you claimed he was worth more than Oxlade-Chamberlain so why I’m even bothering I don’t know.

skybluetony176

No you haven’t a clue about how the transfer market works. How a player progresses beyond transfer is clearly an irrelevance as he will increase a fee from performing in the championship . His value at the time is his value and I repeat no other better fee was offered.

Were fleetwood wrong to sell Vardy for the fee they got? No.

To be fair when we argued about Wilson you claimed he was worth more than Oxlade-Chamberlain so why I’m even bothering I don’t know.

I actually didn’t. I asked the question why teams can get fees like Southampton did for Oxlade Chamberlain and we get a fifth of that for players who are in a similar position and similar quality at the same stage in their career being sold from the same league. Let’s just be clear that this is Wilson who’s scored two hat tricks now in the premier league at one of the less glamorous clubs that’s not a team of superstars. Someone you tried to make out couldn’t score once Clarke was sold when statistics said otherwise and then IIRC you lost a bet on how many goals he would score in the championship for Bournemouth you saying he wouldn’t get into double figures (20 in the end). You’re hardly an authority on gauging players quality or value yourself.

£1.7m for Vardy was great business for a conference team and good scouting by Leicester. Wouldn’t argue with that. Doesn’t mean we got a good fee for Wilson though, especially when you consider fees for similar age, similar quality players out of league one. Wilson is another quality player, not that you would give him any credit either. Same as Maddison, to do so would go against your mentality.

Robccfc87

Serious question: Barkley albeit being out of contract soon moved for 15mil, do you think Maddison is worth more or less than him? Few lads I know say that they say Barkley on premise he has performed in PL and can control game, others say JM cos as he has better attitude and more potential due to age. Just curious.

SlowerThanPlatt

Serious question: Barkley albeit being out of contract soon moved for 15mil, do you think Maddison is worth more or less than him? Few lads I know say that they say Barkley on premise he has performed in PL and can control game, others say JM cos as he has better attitude and more potential due to age. Just curious.

Probably around the same I think. Murphy went for £11m and they rate Maddison higher

Skyblueweeman

Barkley has kind of been there and done it in the EPL and got into the England team. Injuries and his contract situation has kind of de-railed his progress somewhat but based on what he's achieved, I'd say he's probably worth more. As it stands though, #JM10 is currently doing well so one could argue that he'll become better than Barkley. I'd also say Barkley is a little more defensive than #JM10 so not entirely the same positional players.

At the moment and based on what they've achieved, career to date, you'd have to say Barkley is worth more but based on the here and now, #JM10 is seemingly destined to greater things and therefore closes that gap on value/worth.

Robccfc87

Yep pretty much my standpoint too, it come up because I said Chelsea would've been better going for JM but got shot down by a few as Barkley is "much better".

Skyblueweeman

I can see why they'd say though to be fair. Looking ahead though (and no one can predict the future), Maddison looks decent and if he carries on the way he is this season, he'll become a great player.

Skyblueweeman

Anyone who couldn't see the the talent that he had when he was with us doesn't understand football.

Yeah, but good players perform better in better teams. I reckon if you put Maddison in our team now, he wouldn't look as good as he does at Norwich. I might be alone in thinking that but I think playing with better players raises your game.

At the time, that 2nd half of the season when he 'came back', he wasn't as effective and I can understand why some might have questioned that talent.

Colin Steins Smile

Yeah, but good players perform better in better teams. I reckon if you put Maddison in our team now, he wouldn't look as good as he does at Norwich. I might be alone in thinking that but I think playing with better players raises your game.

At the time, that 2nd half of the season when he 'came back', he wasn't as effective and I can understand why some might have questioned that talent.
The other thing to consider is the quality of the pitches that he's currently playing on, which suit him. He's not really the type of player to thrive on some of the mud heaps our lads are now playing on.

Captain Dart

Not yet. Barkley has actual England caps & will probably get more if Conte can sort him out.
Besides Barkley was sold with only 6 months left on his contract, if he had 18 months left he would easily have gone for twice as much.

tigersb

Fact is,you sign a premiership player there is a going rate
You’re not paying the same for a league one player

steve82

Maddison was right to move on from us at the point he did. A respectable stable club and a manager in Alex Neil at the time came in for his services and offered him a handsome deal and a future to develop and continue his rise in the game.

As a consolation at least he remained on loan but the loan didn't work as fans turned on him after initial worship like status the day he left, he gained a lot a criticism for his poor displays and big time charlie attitude diving around in a side that was crumbling and slipping away from the play offs.

His tweet of a lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of sheep was ill thought in whatever he was trying to implying at the time as his performances were of simba a baby lion.

What he needed at a time his wages and profile shot up was managing better as a player and young man on how to behave on the pitch still and interaction on social media when under the spotlight from our own fans. A big learning curve there.

The loan at Aberdeen was ideal and seems to of developed him as a man, individual and as a player to help propel him to the season he's enjoying and continuing his rise in the game.

Robccfc87

Maddison was right to move on from us at the point he did. A respectable stable club and a manager in Alex Neil at the time came in for his services and offered him a handsome deal and a future to develop and continue his rise in the game.

As a consolation at least he remained on loan but the loan didn't work as fans turned on him after initial worship like status the day he left, he gained a lot a criticism for his poor displays and big time charlie attitude diving around in a side that was crumbling and slipping away from the play offs.

His tweet of a lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of sheep was ill thought in whatever he was trying to implying at the time as his performances were of simba a baby lion.

What he needed at a time his wages and profile shot up was managing better as a player and young man on how to behave on the pitch still and interaction on social media when under the spotlight from our own fans. A big learning curve there.

The loan at Aberdeen was ideal and seems to of developed him as a man, individual and as a player to help propel him to the season he's enjoying and continuing his rise in the game.
So Maddison or Barkley then?

Joy Division

Agree that applies all round to every player. He may not have been as effective during the second half of the season but the talent and attributes were still there, this is what I mean about people being able to identify the qualites of a top top player.

stevefloyd

Just want someone to buy him soon for stupid money so we get something back before the transfer window closes then we can go shopping .....hopefully

Speedies_Chips

I think most people realise that and John Fleck is another example that emphasises your point.

SkyBlueCRJ

It seems that Norwich have a financial plan that depends on promotion back to the Premier League this season
That appears to be unlikely as things stand
Have a look at the report attached. The Chelsea FA Cup replay will help raise some cash but I strongly suspect they will need to sell player(s) in January
I'd heard they were skint but didn't know the background
The cost of Championship football - Norwich City accounts show loss of £2.7m

Really interesting read. Note that Ed Balls has admitted that things will become problematic if they fail at achieving promotion this season. In other words it's likely key players will have to be sold to generate the revenue to counter their losses. Jez Moxey would have cost them a huge amount, when he was at Wolves he was on in excess of £1 million a year if I remember rightly. Also interesting how much Alex Neil cost to sack, such a danger these days putting managers on 'long term contracts'.

Captain Dart

Really interesting read. Note that Ed Balls has admitted that things will become problematic if they fail at achieving promotion this season. In other words it's likely key players will have to be sold to generate the revenue to counter their losses. Jez Moxey would have cost them a huge amount, when he was at Wolves he was on in excess of £1 million a year if I remember rightly. Also interesting how much Alex Neil cost to sack, such a danger these days putting managers on 'long term contracts'.
I was surprised to hear Derby gave Gary Rowett a 3 1/2 year deal today, that could be a costly mistake.

Captain Dart

Reminds you of the days when we put Pressley on a 4 year contract :banghead:
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: that's better...
wait a minute David Bell, the headaches have started again...

Nick

Administrator
It seems that Norwich have a financial plan that depends on promotion back to the Premier League this season
That appears to be unlikely as things stand
Have a look at the report attached. The Chelsea FA Cup replay will help raise some cash but I strongly suspect they will need to sell player(s) in January
I'd heard they were skint but didn't know the background
The cost of Championship football - Norwich City accounts show loss of £2.7m

Can see it being a few years when most clubs outside of the premier league are going to have to live within their means and they will have to have terms in player contracts to release them as soon as they get relegated from the premier league.

Users who are viewing this thread