James Maddison sell on clause? Bid from WEST HAM (3 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
If he gets sold by Norwich isn't that then just the re-sale fee? Any other things like England Caps / Norwich getting promoted with him will obviously just be nulled.

RoboCCFC90

They have just sold Pritchard I think.

They have sold Pritchard to Huddersfield, but from what I have seen they were under no pressure to sell anyone in this window.

They sold Murphy for £12m in the summer and also offloaded;

Ruddy
Bassong
Whittaker
Bennett
Mulumbu
Turner
Lafferty

Who were all in the higher reaches of the wage bracket at Carrow Road.

With Pritchard being sold it would suggest it's even less unlikely for Norwich to listen to offers for Maddison.

Some Wolves fans seem to think it's a done deal however.

better days

They have sold Pritchard to Huddersfield, but from what I have seen they were under no pressure to sell anyone in this window.

They sold Murphy for £12m in the summer and also offloaded;

Ruddy
Bassong
Whittaker
Bennett
Mulumbu
Turner
Lafferty

Who were all in the higher reaches of the wage bracket at Carrow Road.

With Pritchard being sold it would suggest it's even less unlikely for Norwich to listen to offers for Maddison.

Some Wolves fans seem to think it's a done deal however.

From what I heard Robo they have a problem with players like Naismith on huge contracts who have no resale value
They'll have great difficulty offloading this type of player unless it's on loan with Norwich still paying the bulk of their wages

RoboCCFC90

From what I heard Robo they have a problem with players like Naismith on huge contracts who have no resale value
They'll have great difficulty offloading this type of player unless it's on loan with Norwich still paying the bulk of their wages

Naismith has offers from Hearts and Rangers, he will soon be off the wage bill - potentially albeit on loan and Cameron Jerome looks to be off as well this window.

I can't imagine with the players that they've sold (Pritchard and Murphy) they're going to be struggling this window.

better days

Naismith has offers from Hearts and Rangers, he will soon be off the wage bill - potentially albeit on loan and Cameron Jerome looks to be off as well this window.

I can't imagine with the players that they've sold (Pritchard and Murphy) they're going to be struggling this window.
Time will tell
It's terrible for fans of clubs that over extend themselves
They end up with guys at the end of their careers on huge contracts that have to be honoured and the only way of funding it is to sell the young players who are the club's future
Plus the cost of paying up Alex Neil's contract

Liquid Gold

To be honest I'd rather them sell him when they're not struggling as they could demand a higher price from any buyer

eastwoodsdustman

Time will tell
They end up with guys at the end of their careers on huge contracts that have to be honoured and the only way of funding it is to sell the young players who are the club's future

Surely no club would be so stupid as to...... Oh hang on a minute.

RoboCCFC90

Time will tell

I find it baffling myself to be honest.

With the Clubs that are being linked with Madders, they've all got the finances to do a deal IMO, I guess it's a waiting game to see if Norwich sell.

My hope is that Norwich sell and MR can benefit from that..

SkyBlueCRJ

These accounts show the performance between 16/17, however Norwich have since sold Jacob Murphy for £12, halved their wage bill with high earners like Ruddy leaving.

A lot can change from June 17.

I don't understand your point? Yes a lot can change but the sale of Jacob Murphy was probably deemed a necessity sacrifice for Norwich F.C. to remain competitive in the Championship this season - on and off the pitch. Those figures would have improved due to player sales alone. Like I said as they were not successful in getting promoted a significant amount of internal funding would've been needed to comply with FFP. The longer a club stagnates in a league, the more money it's likely to lose on commercial revenue. E.g. Attendances, advertising, boxes etc. Especially when a club isn't doing well on the pitch - note Norwich's current position in the Championship. Norwich's turnover has already fallen from 100m to 75m last year - it's impossible for their owners to rescue this freefall alone without breaking the current rulings. If the owners cannot make up this windfall where do you think the income is sourced? So surely I was correct in inferring that they are under pressure to sell?

Yes key earners have been offloaded, but look at the names that have already come in since the summer. They need to remain competitive in the transfer market each season so how is this funded? Gone are the days where owners pump millions of pounds into the club due to FFP rulings therefore more and more clubs are transitioning themselves as 'player selling clubs' - something that is a relatively new entity for those such as Norwich.

A total of 8 players have been acquired by undisclosed fees this season with the likes of James Husband and Grant Hanley at the likely forefront of Norwich F.C's expenditure this summer. It's a safe assumption that a proportion of their summer transfer activity would have been funded by the £12 million (before tax) income of the Jacob Murphy sale. Like I previously mentioned - player sales is clearly needed to remain competitive. It's clearly a trend and not a coincidence that two of their key players have been sold in two corresponding transfer windows.

It's premature to suggest they would've halved their wage bill as they still have some significant high-earners on their pay roll. Especially with the amount of incoming players they have signed this season. Also note who is remaining at the club: Russell Martin, Stevan Naismith, Cameron Jerome, Wes Hoolahan, Matt Jarvis. Like I previously mentioned, Hanley and Husband would've been at the forefront of their spending this summer and I cannot see them being on minimal wages. But you could spin this and infer that for a club with the stature of Norwich only bringing in just two notable Championship promotion winning players suggests money is in fact tight?

RoboCCFC90

I don't understand your point? Yes a lot can change but the sale of Jacob Murphy was probably deemed a necessity sacrifice for Norwich F.C. to remain competitive in the Championship this season - on and off the pitch. Those figures would have improved due to player sales alone. Like I said as they were not successful in getting promoted a significant amount of internal funding would've been needed to comply with FFP. The longer a club stagnates in a league, the more money it's likely to lose on commercial revenue. E.g. Attendances, advertising, boxes etc. Especially when a club isn't doing well on the pitch - note Norwich's current position in the Championship. Norwich's turnover has already fallen from 100m to 75m last year - it's impossible for their owners to rescue this freefall alone without breaking the current rulings. If the owners cannot make up this windfall where do you think the income is sourced? So surely I was correct in inferring that they are under pressure to sell?

Yes key earners have been offloaded, but look at the names that have already come in since the summer. They need to remain competitive in the transfer market each season so how is this funded? Gone are the days where owners pump millions of pounds into the club due to FFP rulings therefore more and more clubs are transitioning themselves as 'player selling clubs' - something that is a relatively new entity for those such as Norwich.

A total of 8 players have been acquired by undisclosed fees this season with the likes of James Husband and Grant Hanley at the likely forefront of Norwich F.C's expenditure this summer. It's a safe assumption that a proportion of their summer transfer activity would have been funded by the £12 million (before tax) income of the Jacob Murphy sale. Like I previously mentioned - player sales is clearly needed to remain competitive. It's clearly a trend and not a coincidence that two of their key players have been sold in two corresponding transfer windows.

It's premature to suggest they would've halved their wage bill as they still have some significant high-earners on their pay roll. Especially with the amount of incoming players they have signed this season. Also note who is remaining at the club: Russell Martin, Stevan Naismith, Cameron Jerome, Wes Hoolahan, Matt Jarvis. Like I previously mentioned, Hanley and Husband would've been at the forefront of their spending this summer and I cannot see them being on minimal wages. But you could spin this and infer that for a club with the stature of Norwich only bringing in just two notable Championship promotion winning players suggests money is in fact tight?

I saw the comments in the bold before I started reading - what stature does Norwich have?!

RoboCCFC90

As a consistent Championship promotion favourite?

Beg my pardon it's not really a stature is it, Norwich have been up and down for as long as I can remember.

They're a club that has failed on several occasions to stabilise itself in England's top division, I don't believe that is something to aspire too.

SkyBlueCRJ

Beg my pardon it's not really a stature is it, Norwich have been up and down for as long as I can remember.

They're a club that has failed on several occasions to stabilise itself in England's top division, I don't believe that is something to aspire too.

You're not understanding my point whatsoever are you. When did I mention Norwich being a club to aspire to? Bit of an odd comment considering I've just been detailing how their financial model is failing for the past few posts. Plus, you've just contradicted your initial point completely by labelling them as unstable?

Londonccfcfan

Easily nearer 15m and that's a bargain.
Wolves are spending silly money so 15m is nothing to them it seems.

About 18/19 years ago we bought Robbie Keane off them for 6M Probably about (20m) in todays money.

Funny as we were the premier league club then buying the hottest talent in Championship at the time. How times change.

RoboCCFC90

You're not understanding my point whatsoever are you. When did I mention Norwich being a club to aspire to? Bit of an odd comment considering I've just been detailing how their financial model is failing for the past few posts. Plus, you've just contradicted your initial point completely by labelling them as unstable?

Unstable financially and unstable in terms of not bein able to consolidate in England's top flight are two different things, please don't insinuate that I meant the former when it is quite clear I meant the latter.

I do understand your point, I don't agree with it, but I understand what you're suggesting.

SkyBlueCRJ

What so you categorically disagree that Norwich's financial model has shifted towards a 'player selling' direction due to the fact that they have failed in succeeding in promotion to the Premier League two years running - and as a result because other revenue streams have dried up?

Captain Dart

Grendel

Are you saying Nick meant it? I didn’t take it that way. I thought Nick was clearly saying it tongue in cheek myself.

I don’t know what your talking about. I said it. The disappeared Dongo believed Haynes if played as a wing back had the potential to be the new Bale.

Someone else compared Hussey to Bale after a win at York in a cup game.

Chipfat

He has got all the ability in the world and now seems to have all the options that any young player would love. Plenty of big clubs are in line it's just when now and not if. Big money, big future and why the club put clauses in such as caps as add ons, it is not beyond him or the realms of possibility that it could happen.

Bennosdancingfeet

Granted it will, but we seriously need to get out of this league this season. I feel if we don’t do it this season then another 3 or 4 seasons loom.

Terry Gibson's perm

Give us a decent budget for next year though

Or along time for it to disappear off to the Cayman Islands.

I don’t see why everyone is getting excited about this windfall as so as that old witch gets a sniff of some cash she will be back interested

skybluetony176

I don’t know what your talking about. I said it. The disappeared Dongo believed Haynes if played as a wing back had the potential to be the new Bale.

Someone else compared Hussey to Bale after a win at York in a cup game.

I had a quick search. Couldn’t find anyone referring to Haynes as the new Bale and the only person I could see referring to Hussey as the new Bale was Nick but it was clearly tongue in cheek.

Users who are viewing this thread