James Maddison sell on clause? Bid from WEST HAM (1 Viewer)

itsabuzzard

The problem with Armstrong in the last two seasons is that he's joined two teams that both already have a really good strikeforce. Barnsley had Bradshaw, Hamill, Winnall, and also Kent funnily enough. This season he's at Bolton that have Madine, Le Fondre and a couple of other first choice players.

As many teams just play one striker now he gets given one game every blue moon to impress otherwise he's out. If he goes on loan to Blackburn it will be even harder to get in the team. Dack, Antonsson, and Graham play for them. Of all the players we had here on loan that season though, he was the best comfortably.

Everyone knows my thoughts on Murphy, and he's gone to the Premier League as he does have that special something. The problem is, he has no consistency, and it was the case here, at Norwich, and now at Newcastle. You will get a world beater one day, but then nothing for 10 games. He's peaked early and I expect him to drop off now. He won't be able to get away with it for much longer now he is at the top.

Kent was the best player I've ever seen play skill wise, but as STP has said above, he couldn't pass, shoot, or cross. The 4 assists and 4 goals in 2 and a half seasons is not a joke. His contribution is extremely poor given his ability and how many games he has played. Like Murphy, has stuggled to cut it at the top this season. I still think he can kick on, but he desperately needs some coaching.

Maddison was always one that impressed me. That goal at Crawley to keep us up in his first pro season just oozed class and confidence. Yes, he was always a bit lightweight, but that doesn't seem to be so much of a problem now. I remember my friend who's a Norwich fan messaging me to ask about Maddison and Murphy (after they signed Maddison and loaned him back), and I told him straight up the former would be the better prospect in the long term. I think that's still true.

Still, it amazes me with the four players above that we still managed to fuck up promotion that season. Look where we are now...
I'm baffled. If Kent couldn't pass, shoot or cross, then you could hardly call him a footballer, and might as well have starred in the circus.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Otis

I seem to remember people here licking their lips at the idea of getting £2m for him, and me pointing out that he could be sold on for 10 times that. At this rate, I’m going to be right and it makes me mad that we’re in a position where we can’t keep players like this, at least for a few seaons until their true worth is realised.

A bit surprised in the article that apparently he’s being likened to Deli All, who for me is a different sort of player – stronger, more direct and more selfish.
But when we sold him he WASN'T worth 10 times that amount. If he had been playing for us the way he is now playing for Norwich then he would have been worth a lot more, but he was a young player still developing and very new to the first team.

Took him a bit of time to find his feet there.

He certainly had the potential to be worth 10 time more, but at the point of our selling him he was nowhere worth anything near that amount.

Look at how Sterling has developed at Man City. A player goes to a higher league club or better club and they work with them and make them better and more complete players.

steve cooper

But when we sold him he WASN'T worth 10 times that amount. If he had been playing for us the way he is now playing for Norwich then he would have been worth a lot more, but he was a young player still developing and very new to the first team.

Took him a bit of time to find his feet there.

He certainly had the potential to be worth 10 time more, but at the point of our selling him he was nowhere worth anything near that amount.

Look at how Sterling has developed at Man City. A player goes to a higher league club or better club and they work with them and make them better and more complete players.
Isn't that what Calista is saying though? why sell a potentially top class player at the first opportunity when keeping hold of him for a couple of years potentially could add millions to their value

ceetee

I am very pleased for Maddison that he is progressing so well.
I wonder if he would have had the same opportunity if Norwich had stayed up and battled relegation again.
It's an ill wind as they say.......

Otis

Isn't that what Calista is saying though? why sell a potentially top class player at the first opportunity when keeping hold of him for a couple of years potentially could add millions to their value
But then players usually develop that much quicker at a better club, playing against better opposition and working with much better coaches.

So, staying here might well have added a lot of value, but I don't think we can guage how much.

I have to add, I didn't want to see Maddison sold, but accepted that we probably had to.

I just don't see us ever being able to sell him at 10 times what we actually sold him for.

NOW he is worth a lot more for all the reasons above, better players, better opposition, better coaches.

Calista

I accept what you’re saying Otis, and I think you’re right that we probably had to sell him, and not for £20m.

I was just expressing my sheer frustration at the lowly status of our club – having a young player who (at least to some of us) was very likely a future England international, who was obviously going to be worth a huge amount of money, and who I absolutely loved watching. And seeing them slip through our fingers, powerless to stop giants of the sport like Norwich City get so much more out of him than we did. Not only in terms of money, but the entertainment they’ve had out of him too. All we got was the first few appearances of a teenager finding his feet, brilliant though he was.

SlowerThanPlatt

He was never going to stay for too long. Clubs tried to take him at 15 but he signed his scholarship here. I do agree we shouldn’t have sold him that January though

Otis

I accept what you’re saying Otis, and I think you’re right that we probably had to sell him, and not for £20m.

I was just expressing my sheer frustration at the lowly status of our club – having a young player who (at least to some of us) was very likely a future England international, who was obviously going to be worth a huge amount of money, and who I absolutely loved watching. And seeing them slip through our fingers, powerless to stop giants of the sport like Norwich City get so much more out of him than we did. Not only in terms of money, but the entertainment they’ve had out of him too. All we got was the first few appearances of a teenager finding his feet, brilliant though he was.
As I say, I didn't want to see him sold and of course you have to look from a club's perspective that a player can suddenly go backwards or have a long term injury that totally devalues them.

With the shoe on the other foot we would have been laughing all the way to the bank looking back if Liverpool had indeed paid really good money for Conor Thomas.

Calista

Yes, the Conor Thomas point is a fair one and there will always be examples where young players don't fulfill their promise and the buying cliub loses out. However, if we'd sold Conor Thomas I'd merely have been a bit miffed, whereas Maddison's talent was on a different level altogether.

Hobo

The point is a player won't necessarily develop at the same rate staying, just because they have developed at another club after we have sold them.

What has developed Maddison into the player he is at the moment is playing at Coventry, Norwich and Aberdeen.

Grendel

If he was that good and that cheap why wasn’t there a queue of premier league clubs chasing his signature?

Mucca Mad Boys

I was very annoyed when we sold Maddison to Norwich, for what I believe to be £3m up front + add-ons to make it worth £9m, because I thought we should've demanded a larger fee, between £5-10m would've satisfied me. However, in hindsight, if he does have a sell-on clause, this could actually be a shrewd transfer for us because if there's a nice sell-on clause, we could be in for quite a windfall.

Calista

If he was that good and that cheap why wasn’t there a queue of premier league clubs chasing his signature?

Good question, and I don’t have an answer :)

Having said that, I think he was being monitored by Spurs etc. wasn’t he? Then from memory he got quite a bad injury with his rash challenge in that game at Walsall, and he hadn’t been back that long when Norwich (who were in the Prem at the time?) decided to take the plunge.

If you’re still saying we got the best possible value for the player, fair enough. But I reckon we flogged him to the first bidder to plug a gap in the revenues.

clint van damme

almost like that was wrote before. he did ok, but nothing more in that game

thought he was one of the better players on the pitch in a fairly poor game.
Wingy described it as like a training game and I'd agree with that but I still think Maddisons ability was there to see.

ccfcway

Having said that, I think he was being monitored by Spurs etc. wasn’t he? Then from memory he got quite a bad injury with his rash challenge in that game at Walsall, and he hadn’t been back that long when Norwich (who were in the Prem at the time?) decided to take the plunge.

If you’re still saying we got the best possible value for the player, fair enough. But I reckon we flogged him to the first bidder to plug a gap in the revenues.

not sure what question your responding to, as I must have blocked the person who asked it, but it looks like they were saying something like "how come loads of clubs didn't want him and we got great value ?"

if its anything like that, surely its the same as saying why did only Leicester go for Vardy at £1m ?, must mean he isn't all that either ?

Calista

not sure what question your responding to, as I must have blocked the person who asked it, but it looks like they were saying something like "how come loads of clubs didn't want him and we got great value ?"

if its anything like that, surely its the same as saying why did only Leicester go for Vardy at £1m ?, must mean he isn't all that either ?

You’ve got the gist, but to be fair the person concerned didn’t say we got “great value”. From the fact that they were comfortable with the sale, I just assumed that they must think it was good business, and that CCFC did the best we could out of selling the player.

Not sure how you can live without that particular person’s posts btw, everybody else seems to enjoy them ;)

I wouldn’t know how to block a person, and can’t imagine doing it. We’re only discussing a football club.

ccfcway

You’ve got the gist, but to be fair the person concerned didn’t say we got “great value”. From the fact that they were comfortable with the sale, I just assumed that they must think it was good business, and that CCFC did the best we could out of selling the player.

Not sure how you can live without that particular person’s posts btw, everybody else seems to enjoy them ;)

I wouldn’t know how to block a person, and can’t imagine doing it. We’re only discussing a football club.

click on your username in the top right hand side of the page. A drop down appears with "people you ignore".

Grendel

Even if we did we sold him at the end of January. It’s inconceivable that if we’d kept him he’d now be worth more in league 2

Users who are viewing this thread