James Maddison sell on clause? Bid from WEST HAM (1 Viewer)

The Great Eastern

I have a few Canary ST holders as friends and they're raving about him. To those on here who think he's going to be average at best, dream on. He has another 5 or 6 years to go before he hits his peak. Lets resurrect this thread then & see how much humble pie needs eating.

SlowerThanPlatt

He had the chance to join a very big club at 15 I believe but rejected it, the big clubs have been aware of him for years even before he made his debut at CCFC.

That group was very good. Got Harries at Swansea, Thomas at Leicester, Sambou at Everton, Maddison at Norwich and the Kelly Evans twins/Stevenson in our first team.

NorthernWisdom

That group was very good. Got Harries at Swansea, Thomas at Leicester, Sambou at Everton, Maddison at Norwich and the Kelly Evans twins/Stevenson in our first team.

Yep, credit for the coaches for that group.

I'm too lazy to work it all out, but assuming they rocked up at CCFC at 12-ish (fair?) what season would the first team have been having at that point?

skybluegod

Doesn't take a genius to see how good Maddison is. We sold him too cheap.

So what? so is Ravel Morrison doesn’t mean he’s worth 20 million. Hell or even 200,000 at the moment. It’s all good saying how good somebody could be but until they prove it they aren’t worth it. And Maddison wasn’t sold 2 years ago. And he isn’t worth that much still.

For the time we got the correct price. It’s too easy to say we sold him too cheap, when it’s taken him 2 years to establish himself. I’m not fussed. Think we got a good price for him if the reported figures are to be believed.

pusbccfc

I have a few Canary ST holders as friends and they're raving about him. To those on here who think he's going to be average at best, dream on. He has another 5 or 6 years to go before he hits his peak. Lets resurrect this thread then & see how much humble pie needs eating.

Agreed. A few posts on their forum say he's the best they've had in years.

PVA

He can go right to the top, he has an incredible amount of natural ability and that was clear from the first moment he played for us, he was technically head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch whenever he played.

He has more ability and technique in his big toe than Callum Wilson has in his whole body, and he does alright for himself.

Two brilliant goals last week.

SlowerThanPlatt

Another fine finish today and MOTM in the East Anglia Derby. Let's hope we have a half decent sell on because his stock is rising with another impressive display

CJ_covblaze

Joy said the club has an investment in his whole career no matter how many moves he makes. Guessing that means it’s a similar deal to what we got with Sturridge.

letsallsingtogether

Joy said the club has an investment in his whole career no matter how many moves he makes. Guessing that means it’s a similar deal to what we got with Sturridge.
Let's hope he plays for 20 clubs then and they all pay a fee for him.

The Reverend Skyblue

I live very close to Norwich and go into the city everyday and the fans and local papers hardly ever mention him.
He's got potential, full stop.
He needs to show it consistently at Champ level.

ccfcway

I live very close to Norwich and go into the city everyday and the fans and local papers hardly ever mention him.

Commentator on Talk Sport today said he had spoken to Darren Eadie, Darren Huckerby and Dean Ashton in the past week and they all said Maddison was a real talent.

That was before the game !

Super Graham Withey

Never the mind the sell on clause,SISU will pocket that. Just pleased that at a time when Coventry's youngsters have so little to cheer football wise that they could see one of their own go right to the top.

mark82

He is doing so far this year. He was Championship player of the month in September and has carried it on in October. It's hardly like he's going unnoticed. He'll be a premier league player this time next year one way or another.

shmmeee

Not defending them but we don't know what the deal was. Sell on clauses are more important when selling prospects like Maddison than an up front fee.

We can make some educated guesses.

- A final potential figure of about £6m was mentioned if all parts of the deal pay off
- the initial figure was “modest”
- Anderson mentioned “three parts” despite only talking about two in the Telegraph article at the time: player related (apps, goals, playing for England) and club related (promotion etc)
- Probably safe to assume part three was sell ons.

Conjecture, but if he didn’t mention them they probably aren’t the biggest part. You’re probably looking at £2-3m up front cost (maybe spread over a few years), another £2m or so in addons between club and player and say a 10-20% sell on clause.

Numbers from my arse obviously. But it puts it in a ballpark. Long story short is at best we sold him for about £6m all in.

Grendel

We can make some educated guesses.

- A final potential figure of about £6m was mentioned if all parts of the deal pay off
- the initial figure was “modest”
- Anderson mentioned “three parts” despite only talking about two in the Telegraph article at the time: player related (apps, goals, playing for England) and club related (promotion etc)
- Probably safe to assume part three was sell ons.

Conjecture, but if he didn’t mention them they probably aren’t the biggest part. You’re probably looking at £2-3m up front cost (maybe spread over a few years), another £2m or so in addons between club and player and say a 10-20% sell on clause.

Numbers from my arse obviously. But it puts it in a ballpark. Long story short is at best we sold him for about £6m all in.

If that was the case then it would be a very good deal for a player who played a handful of games in league one.

Grendel

I think that was clear from the first moment he hit our team. It's early days yet but he could do anything. Wouldn't surprise me if he played for England one day.

Given that Jake Livermore is an England international again where would be the surprise.

CJ_covblaze

Given that Jake Livermore is an England international again where would be the surprise.

The vast majority of the people using this forum would do a better job than Livermore.

Warwickhunt

His stock keeps rising the more he plays! Rumoured that the Tottingham are sniffing around☺

Sbarcher

R5live said it was an inspirational ball through from him.

ceetee

Well I hope our midfield were watching. Even inspiration isn't enough for them to play a through ball

Grendel

Does he still wear a headband?

dongonzalos

Class player.
Would have to question someone’s knowledge about football if they didn’t realise what we had on our hands when Maddison was playing in that Mowbray team.
(Take away the diving, a trait that many flair players seem to show).
Hope we have got the add inserted that people suggested.

shmmeee

If that was the case then it would be a very good deal for a player who played a handful of games in league one.

Depends. If it’s the full £6m that’d put him just below Deli Ali, and would also probably mean hes been a massive success and played for England (as he’s hit all the addons), but would be about right IMO.

The devil is in the details. If for whatever reason he ends up bringing in £3-4m and is still successful (maybe just not meeting certain clauses) then not so much.

But yeah, generally speaking £4-6m for a highly rated young L1 player is OK.

Users who are viewing this thread