Is a new Goalkeeper a priority (1 Viewer)

Grendel

letsallsingtogether

That’s nothing to do with the goalkeeper commanding his area?
Come on Grendel he is one man everyone has to do their bit it is a team game not a singles match.
It is my opinion nothing else, if you believe every loss is down to him fair enough.

Grendel

Come on Grendel he is one man everyone has to do their bit it is a team game not a singles match.
It is my opinion nothing else, if you believe every loss is down to him fair enough.

I don’t believe that but I do think Willis and Hyam are our best players - the corner last week was due to Andreu dozing off - this week sterling may have lost his man but why on Earth was Burge even starting on the far post? It’s very odd positioning

SkyBlueCRJ

from what I’ve read Robins has a lot of faith in Addai, so I can see him knocking on the first team door soon, but Burge will do me for now.
Imo O’Brien needs to go.

Unless we pay him off we're stuck with him until January. We should've sorted the GK situation in the summer. Every fan knew that despite being in the team of the year, Burge would still be a question mark in goal. However, it's not like MR doesn't know this I'm sure the fans aren't thinking something he isn't. But during the Jan window this MUST be our No.1. priority assuming there are no long term casualties to replace.

SkyBlueCRJ

Exactly. I think MR has strengthened the squad in all but 2 or possibly 3 areas:-
CD - existing players are good enough
GK - I believe we need a better goalie if we are to challenge for promotion
Strikers - jury is out

I think we'll almost definitely need one more CB along with a GK in the Jan window. Even if it's one in on loan. If one out of Hyam, Willis or Davies suffers a long term injury we'd be far too thin in that area and it would be a big ask to throw Thompson into the mix week in week out. I personally think we're fine on the striker front now Chaplin has arrived. However an injury to JCH and another would be need to be brought in.

Forever_Blue

Unless we pay him off we're stuck with him until January. We should've sorted the GK situation in the summer. Every fan knew that despite being in the team of the year, Burge would still be a question mark in goal. However, it's not like MR doesn't know this I'm sure the fans aren't thinking something he isn't. But during the Jan window this MUST be our No.1. priority assuming there are no long term casualties to replace.
That’s what I mean, get rid in January.

Gibbo

Burge's positioning for their goal was bazaar. He wasn't even close. It was almost as if his ability to judge the landing point of a curved ball - i.e. a corner - is completely wonky.
That said I thought the goalkeeping in Div 2 was pretty bad. Judging by Oxford and Gillingham Div 1 is little better so Burge would appear to be about par for the division. He is not the weakest link in the team either. The weakest links remain right back and target man striker - JCH and Grimmer.

BigadamL

Might of been sterling’s man at the corner but the goal keeper will always have a better chance of saveibg the ball if he stands near the middle of the fecking goal and not mid judging the wind and trying to run to the back post, twice in two corners he did it.

I’m not his biggest fan I will admit but he is a good shot stopper but he doesn’t learn from his mistakes, today the corner before the goal he misjudged the wind and ended up jumping around like a nob with his legs kicking about, a good keeper will then think o it’s a bit windy how about I don’t come rushing out so I don’t misjudge the ball again. The mistakes he makes are the same mistakes week in week out.

SlowerThanPlatt

Burge's positioning for their goal was bazaar. He wasn't even close. It was almost as if his ability to judge the landing point of a curved ball - i.e. a corner - is completely wonky.
That said I thought the goalkeeping in Div 2 was pretty bad. Judging by Oxford and Gillingham Div 1 is little better so Burge would appear to be about par for the division. He is not the weakest link in the team either. The weakest links remain right back and target man striker - JCH and Grimmer.

Bazaar sounds like a Dutch number 10

Cov kid 55

I don’t believe that but I do think Willis and Hyam are our best players - the corner last week was due to Andreu dozing off - this week sterling may have lost his man but why on Earth was Burge even starting on the far post? It’s very odd positioning
I agree that Burge didn’t do particularly well for their goal, seemed more intent on their man rather than his position and watching where the ball was actually going. I disagree with you on his save low to his right, it wasn’t routine, he was down sharply, the forward must have been very close to him. On balance I think he’s doing well for us.

Adge

Yep, the good the bad and the ugly all in 90 minutes of watching our keeper.

Captain Dart

Solid midfielder & a target man are priority for me tbh in Jan.
Already recruited. The problem is too many changes, performances should improve considerably in the next few weeks.

SlowerThanPlatt

A target man to play with Chaplin none of the above are that.

Maybe Robins doesn’t think a ‘target man’ is necessary for the way he wants to play then if he’s had months to recruit one and the strikers he has signed are not in that mould?

We’re also playing with one striker

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

Maybe Robins doesn’t think a ‘target man’ is necessary for the way he wants to play then if he’s had months to recruit one and the strikers he has signed are not in that mould?

Max hasn't been injured for months.

cc84cov

Max getting injured as I think he was planning to play him with Chaplin.

AFCCOVENTRY

Burge is better than LoB. But he isn't a top L1 keeper. Average for this league. Oxford keeper was shocking.

Squad wise there isn't anyone pushing Burge and that isn't great for competition. In Jan we should get rid of LoB and get a keeper who can seriously challenge.

Pete in Portugal

Burge played well in the Barnsley game. If he can reproduce that level of performance reasonably consistently, and hopefully improve his distribution, then I'll change my opinion of him.

Otis

We still need another keeper. I would be inclined to ditch O'Brien in Jan and bring someone else in.

Users who are viewing this thread