Is a new Goalkeeper a priority (1 Viewer)

Colin Steins Smile

Also forgotten about Eric McManus who was...........forgettable.
Didn't Ramsbottom carry on as No1 when Glazier finished?
I also forgot about Eric McManus - good spot.....as for Ramsbottom carrying on after the great Bill. I'm can't remember.....is there anyone else who can help on this one?

fernandopartridge

Burge was fantastic in the closing stages of the season. Notts County away as a good example.

Even the very best keepers drop a couple of clangers over a season. It's the nature of the position.

He's fast improving. We should back him. Get behind all the lads for the new season.

That save from Stead was wonderful and absolutely crucial, if De Gea had made it they'd still be on about it now/

fernandopartridge

Not a priority. He's improved quite a lot since Robins took over. He will make mistakes but goalkeepers don't usually hit their peak until later in their careers. He's on the right trajectory. You don't get voted into team of the season for nothing.

Mucca Mad Boys

I doubt Robins will be looking for another keeper, both are in contract. Burge is nowhere near as bad as some on here make out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

To sum up some Cov fans, against Stevenage at home, when McDonald’s dodgy clearance put Stevenage’s Revell through on goal, 1v1 and he scores, some idiot shouts ‘for fucks sake Burge’ when it goes in...

Generally speaking, a lot of sports fans either can see no wrong in the players they like, and no right in the players they dislike. Burge has made some really good saves to keep us in games, but a lot fans take exception to his kicking — an attribute I don’t necessarily prioritise very highly for a GK.

Magwitch

Neil Ramsbottom took over from Bill Glazier and he was okay but the fans never really took to him Glazier was a bit of an icon. So after a couple of seasons manager Gordon Milne splashed the cash for Millwall icon Bryan King, big signing at the time. Kings first two home games he made bloomers which he never really recovered from the fans just didn’t take to him so in came young reserve Jim Blythe, inexperienced aged about 20 secured his spot, and became an international. Ironically couple of seasons later he got injured in the middle of yet another relegation scrap, in came a younger Les Sealey he too grabbed his chance and became one of our best. ever. Both Les and Blythe proved being young and inexperienced doesn’t matter if you are good enough.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

So the people that voted him as GK of the year are clueless?

But wait, I suppose the actual football people know jack diddly squat compared Barry from Radford...

Big Barry was probably a founding member of the 'McNulty is fucking shit' brigade.

I'll never forget the way McNulty was vilified last season, anyone with any basic knowledge of football, even your average Bazza, could see McNulty was getting closer and closer and it was only a matter of time before he started scoring. I remember being giving dogs abuse by my mates and some other fans in the carriage on the way back from Accrington for daring to say that I thought he would get at least 15 league goals by the end of the season.... I never expected him to go on to get 28 goals mind!

If anyone needs to go it's O'Brien. I would want us to keep Burge and maybe bring in an experienced keeper. I really hope Burge can improve his consistency though.

Nick

Administrator
It was even funnier on here when somebody was slating mcnulty saying we needed Collins and that nazon wouldn't pass to McNulty because he wasn't top scorer.

It was obvious that McNulty needed more chances as his movement was there it's just he wasn't really picked out at the start of the season with decent passes.
Big Barry was probably a founding member of the 'McNulty is fucking shit' brigade.

I'll never forget the way McNulty was vilified last season, anyone with any basic knowledge of football, even your average Bazza, could see McNulty was getting closer and closer and it was only a matter of time before he started scoring. I remember being giving dogs abuse by my mates and some other fans in the carriage on the way back from Accrington for daring to say that I thought he would get at least 15 league goals by the end of the season.... I never expected him to go on to get 28 goals mind!

If anyone needs to go it's O'Brien. I would want us to keep Burge and maybe bring in an experienced keeper. I really hope Burge can improve his consistency though.

skybluetony176

The only reason we’d need a new goalkeeper would be if we were in the championship. Burge is more than adequate in league one and two, especially with a decent for this level defence in front of him.

Mucca Mad Boys

It was even funnier on here when somebody was slating mcnulty saying we needed Collins and that nazon wouldn't pass to McNulty because he wasn't top scorer.

It was obvious that McNulty needed more chances as his movement was there it's just he wasn't really picked out at the start of the season with decent passes.

It was hilarious, apparently he wasn’t a ‘natural goalscorer’ even though at Portsmouth he scored a goal every 2.7 games so a reasonable projection was around 17 goals. I also remember the outcry when we missed out on Collins, but, he cost a substantial amount for a L2 striker at approximately £300k. Considering McNulty scored more goals over more games, there’s no doubt that between the two, McNulty was the better choice — though a strike force of those two in L2? We’d have given autos a good go!

The Chesterfield away game demonstrated he had ability, from the highlights, he dominated that game and you could tell he was player who could take control of games.

Grendel

I think a lot of people forget he is 25, for a goalie that is not old in fact it is said goalies don't usually reach their peak till 30ish.

I believe he will get better, he's certainly improved from where he was a few seasons ago.

Naturally other options are available but I don't think they need to be a priority.

The notion of this peaking at 30 is an urban myth

PVA

You really think a team could get promoted and keep as many clean sheets as we did with a keeper that costs a team more points than he wins?

In fact I'm not sure it's even possible for a professional keeper to lose a team more points than he wins, I think it's nearly impossible. It's a ridiculous thing to say.

skybluepm2

You really think a team could get promoted and keep as many clean sheets as we did with a keeper that costs a team more points than he wins?

In fact I'm not sure it's even possible for a professional keeper to lose a team more points than he wins, I think it's nearly impossible. It's a ridiculous thing to say.

Not really is it? Games he single handedly threw away with clangers, in comparison to those where he arguably won us the points? Off the top of my head; Luton at home. Exeter away, Forest Green at home, Mansfield at home, and he started the debacle against Yeovil. 5 games and I’m sure there were a couple more. That’s not criticism, it’s stating pure facts. Can you say that there were 5 games that he offset the points lost? 2 perhaps at a push.

All I’m saying is that although there’s no doubt he improved, there is no way we can drop points in that manner next season through individual goalkeeping errors. We are heading for the league above and need better quality, without a shadow of a doubt. Keep him as an understudy.

luwalla

Not really is it? Games he single handedly threw away with clangers, in comparison to those where he arguably won us the points? Off the top of my head; Luton at home. Exeter away, Forest Green at home, Mansfield at home, and he started the debacle against Yeovil. 5 games and I’m sure there were a couple more. That’s not criticism, it’s stating pure facts. Can you say that there were 5 games that he offset the points lost? 2 perhaps at a push.

All I’m saying is that although there’s no doubt he improved, there is no way we can drop points in that manner next season through individual goalkeeping errors. We are heading for the league above and need better quality, without a shadow of a doubt. Keep him as an understudy.

Not sure its 'fact' that all those losses were down solely to him ... is it it ?

Looking at matches where he offset these 'factual lost' points, id say he was pretty solid for most of the back half of the season. pulling off good saves in many matches... for a start you could pull out both Wembley trips right away as highlights, and the notts county away match, so there is a promotion & a cup win. Conversely id say it isnt fair to pin the wins solely on him, any more than it is the losses in other matches. But fair to say he pulled off some vital saves at vital moments in those matches, that could have seriously change the way the match went. So based on the argument of cost points vs instrumental in the wins... id take the promotion & the cup win , for a couple of goal kicks that go astray or clanger that all players makes ( the worlds best goalkeepers have made them in this World Cup! )

skybluepm2

I don't agree.

Agree. Both aren’t good enough for this level and I’m baffled as to why we haven’t gone out and prioritised a number one. Despite Burge’s positive moments today, he could’ve cost us dearly. ‘That’s what you get in League 1’ doesn’t cut it for me. There’s better out there. 2 howlers from O’Brien and 2 in the same game from Burge (albeit 1 resulting in a goal). We are only on game 7!

pastythegreat

Agree. Both aren’t good enough for this level and I’m baffled as to why we haven’t gone out and prioritised a number one. Despite Burge’s positive moments today, he could’ve cost us dearly. ‘That’s what you get in League 1’ doesn’t cut it for me. There’s better out there. 2 howlers from O’Brien and 2 in the same game from Burge (albeit 1 resulting in a goal). We are only on game 7!
He could of cost us much more today. Flapping a leg around at that corner not only would of been a pen if contact was made, but a red card too. He was pushed and pulled out of position FAR to easily by their player. As a keeper you have to do better. He should of had a defender between the 2 of them to start with and needed to be much stronger. After the goal v Notts county away in the league he'd of learnt his lessons. Clearly not, one of the main reasons he's not good enough. He's not learning and hasn't improved (in my eyes) at all in the time he's been here.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Terry_dactyl

For what it’s worth I thought burge looked very solid today.
It looked to me like he needed a bit of protection in the lead up to the one that went past the post from the corner and I thought the goal was due to sterling, not him.
He looked assured. Not often I’ve said that!

covcity4life

If there is a good one going at xmass we need him

Burge MAY do enough like last yesr but it's gonna come down to luck

Garryb80

For what it’s worth I thought burge looked very solid today.
It looked to me like he needed a bit of protection in the lead up to the one that went past the post from the corner and I thought the goal was due to sterling, not him.
He looked assured. Not often I’ve said that!
He did not look confident coming for crosses. The goal, though not his fault, he should have been at least on the correct side of the goal. Another moment where he came out of his goal to punch when catching was far easier option

Terry_dactyl

He did not look confident coming for crosses. The goal, though not his fault, he should have been at least on the correct side of the goal. Another moment where he came out of his goal to punch when catching was far easier option
I can’t remember him spilling anything at crosses. He made a great one handed save and his kicking was pretty good. I can’t really see what else he could’ve done.

letsallsingtogether

He could of cost us much more today. Flapping a leg around at that corner not only would of been a pen if contact was made, but a red card too. He was pushed and pulled out of position FAR to easily by their player. As a keeper you have to do better. He should of had a defender between the 2 of them to start with and needed to be much stronger. After the goal v Notts county away in the league he'd of learnt his lessons. Clearly not, one of the main reasons he's not good enough. He's not learning and hasn't improved (in my eyes) at all in the time he's been here.

So because the defenders were out of position or is his fault?
Because no defender was on the goal scorer it was his fault?
Our defending this season has been dire no matter who has been in goal, that is what we need to address first. Imho.

Forever_Blue

from what I’ve read Robins has a lot of faith in Addai, so I can see him knocking on the first team door soon, but Burge will do me for now.
Imo O’Brien needs to go.

SkyBlueCRJ

I do believe that some of those who say he will do for League One clearly fail to understand the importance of a goalkeeper to a successful team. Burge did OK today, albeit had the odd mistake and his kicking was abysmal but the performance by large was OK. But as today's performance showed, he isn't a promotion winning goalkeeper at this level.

So, if we have ambitions on getting back to the Championship, investment has to be made in securing a solid goalkeeper who's consistent game in game out. I find that those who are behind Burge 100% only post when he's played well - something I fail to understand as how often does Burge genuinely deserve praise, maybe 1/5 games at best? Great that a section of fans are 100% behind him but it comes to a point where it gets a bit far fetched as when it comes down to it no matter how much time you give him, he's just not good enough. I think he's fine as a backup but IMO MR made a mistake not bringing in another GK.

pastythegreat

Our defending this season has been dire no matter who has been in goal, that is what we need to address first. Imho.
When did I mention the goal?? I mentioned his being out of position for lack of strength and being bullied by their players. If he was positioned properly (middle of the goal) then chances are he could of saved the header. He was pushed and pulled around far to easy with np fight and nearer his back post so when the free header came in, there was no other outcome.

Speedies_Chips

When did I mention the goal?? I mentioned his being out of position for lack of strength and being bullied by their players. If he was positioned properly (middle of the goal) then chances are he could of saved the header. He was pushed and pulled around far to easy with np fight and nearer his back post so when the free header came in, there was no other outcome.

Statements where 'of' have been used instead of 'have' have to be disregarded. :)

Grendel

Our two centre halves have been excellent

Pete in Portugal

I do believe that some of those who say he will do for League One clearly fail to understand the importance of a goalkeeper to a successful team. Burge did OK today, albeit had the odd mistake and his kicking was abysmal but the performance by large was OK. But as today's performance showed, he isn't a promotion winning goalkeeper at this level.

So, if we have ambitions on getting back to the Championship, investment has to be made in securing a solid goalkeeper who's consistent game in game out. I find that those who are behind Burge 100% only post when he's played well - something I fail to understand as how often does Burge genuinely deserve praise, maybe 1/5 games at best? Great that a section of fans are 100% behind him but it comes to a point where it gets a bit far fetched as when it comes down to it no matter how much time you give him, he's just not good enough. I think he's fine as a backup but IMO MR made a mistake not bringing in another GK.

Exactly. I think MR has strengthened the squad in all but 2 or possibly 3 areas:-
CD - existing players are good enough
GK - I believe we need a better goalie if we are to challenge for promotion
Strikers - jury is out

Users who are viewing this thread