Is a new Goalkeeper a priority (1 Viewer)

Pete in Portugal

Robins has stated that he's looking to add a new striker to the squad. While this is understandable, does anyone else think that a new, more experienced, goalkeeper is a higher priority? There's no doubt that Burge improved last season, but is he good enough to be in a top league one side? Frankly, I have my doubts.

shmmeee

I’d like an experienced GK at the very least to allow Burge to come out of the firing line should form dip and to learn from in training even if not to start.

skybluepm2

He lost us more points than gained last season although toward the end of the season he was fairly solid. If he could maintain that level then perhaps he could be ok in the league above but his consistency has always been his issue. I’d be happy with him as number 2, i still think we need an older, experienced head between the sticks.

pastythegreat

I think a keeper is a must. I can't understand how so many managers have come through and still stuck with Burge.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

fatso

Defo need a new keeper if we intend to challenge, and a no9 who can frighten defenders and score goals. I was a bit surprised that we signed JCH, as he’s ok for league 2, but not what you’d want if you intend to be challenging in league 1,
But I guess he’s still young and could improve with a full pre season under his belt. Time will tell.

SkyBlueCRJ

A lot of people on this thread are focusing on Burge, suggesting he's not consistently good enough at League One level, yet not one person has mentioned O'Brien. He's barely good enough for League Two so contemplating whether Robins is in for another GK shouldn't be up for debate. Another is definitely needed to provide competition to Burge.

TomRad85

In my opinion O'Brien was bought in to take Burges place as number 1... just turns out he was even shitter! I would be amazed if we weren't chasing one.

Terry_dactyl

In my opinion O'Brien was bought in to take Burges place as number 1... just turns out he was even shitter! I would be amazed if we weren't chasing one.
Yep. At least burge seemed to improve. We’ll defo need some competition for him. Is addai any good/ready to compete?
Slightly off topic, and in the realms of fantasy rumours, I was told the other day that RCC is off to PSV Eindhoven!!!!

Mucca Mad Boys

He lost us more points than gained last season although toward the end of the season he was fairly solid. If he could maintain that level then perhaps he could be ok in the league above but his consistency has always been his issue. I’d be happy with him as number 2, i still think we need an older, experienced head between the sticks.

Frankly, I doubt you’ve done the statisical analysis to back that statement up.

By any measurable metric, he was near the top end of L2 GKs, and there were some pretty decent resumés around him. Rightly or wrongly, his peers judged him to be the best GK in the league. You don’t get accolades like that by accident and certainly not if you’re a liability to your team.

To answer the question of the thread, it’s not necessarily a ‘priority’, but as always, if there’s better options that are better, and represent good value for money then ofc you sign the better option.

BUSA

Only sign a new keeper if they are better than Burge or O’Brien but to get a better keeper who need to be one on loan from a premiership or championship club who might not have played as many games as Burge

luwalla

Frankly, I doubt you’ve done the statisical analysis to back that statement up.

By any measurable metric, he was near the top end of L2 GKs, and there were some pretty decent resumés around him. Rightly or wrongly, his peers judged him to be the best GK in the league. You don’t get accolades like that by accident and certainly not if you’re a liability to your team.

To answer the question of the thread, it’s not necessarily a ‘priority’, but as always, if there’s better options that are better, and represent good value for money then ofc you sign the better option.

This!!

Unfortunately those that berate Burge and call for a new keeper, just don’t understand football or at least the position of a keeper very well.

As you say, if there is a better option out there , within our budget, then like any position we should go for it... the fact multiple managers stuck with him & he is at the top of the stats would suggest there prob isn’t.

Hobo

Robins has stated that he's looking to add a new striker to the squad. While this is understandable, does anyone else think that a new, more experienced, goalkeeper is a higher priority? There's no doubt that Burge improved last season, but is he good enough to be in a top league one side? Frankly, I have my doubts.

For some it will always be a priority until Burge goes (regardless of his progress). But those singing the praises of last season's summer goalkeeper signing have been very quiet.

BUSA

Agree the big games he’s performed- Wembley last year, Notts away 2nd leg & was solid in final

pastythegreat

This!!

Unfortunately those that berate Burge and call for a new keeper, just don’t understand football or at least the position of a keeper very well.

As you say, if there is a better option out there , within our budget, then like any position we should go for it... the fact multiple managers stuck with him & he is at the top of the stats would suggest there prob isn’t.
Or maybe it's the other way round! Those that rate Burge are the clueless ones??? Ever thought of that?

Covstu

Not a drop dead priority but I would love a young keeper to be his no2. Our centre backs need a good look at in respect to who are chosen two. If we stop leaking goals from the wings then the keeper tends to grow in confidence

pastythegreat

Agree the big games he’s performed- Wembley last year, Notts away 2nd leg & was solid in final
Solid in the final? Exeter had like 1 shot on goal and it ended up in the back of the net! He had nothing to do for majority of the game. Not saying he did bad but he can't be praised for doing well when he did nothing.

Limey

Solid in the final? Exeter had like 1 shot on goal and it ended up in the back of the net! He had nothing to do for majority of the game. Not saying he did bad but he can't be praised for doing well when he did nothing.

Not true. He made a couple of solid stops before we scored. He was beaten by a great shot too. In fact the shot should never have come in so I would look at defence for that goal before burger.

pastythegreat

So the people that voted him as GK of the year are clueless?

But wait, I suppose the actual football people know jack diddly squat compared Barry from Radford...
Voted best GK in L2 vs a thread "is he good enough for L1promotion"! I don't give 2 fucks if a few other manager from L2 seen him have a "good day" where he didn't flap at a cross or kick every goal kick into the dugout. I care about our push for L1 promotion and I don't think Burge is the No.1 for the job.

People keep bringing up how he was voted for GK of the year by other managers. Do you have the figures from the votes?
You almost say it like he won it with all 24 of the votes. He could of just scraped it with 5 votes for example. Not like ALL his peers realise he's good and the fans don't. How many votes exactly did he get in comparison to other keepers in the league?!?! Until somebody comes up with the facts and figures it's a shit, null and void argument and should be banned from use

pastythegreat

Not true. He made a couple of solid stops before we scored. He was beaten by a great shot too. In fact the shot should never have come in so I would look at defence for that goal before burger.
They had 3 shots on target in 90 mins. Not like he was overworked.
Not saying the shot wasn't a peach. Not blaming him for it going in, just not praising him for making 2 saves when his job is to make saves!

Limey

They had 3 shots on target in 90 mins. Not like he was overworked.
Not saying the shot wasn't a peach. Not blaming him for it going in, just not praising him for making 2 saves when his job is to make saves!

Exactly he made the saves. Not saying he's perfect but not too alarmed with sticking with burge unlike some.

Limey

I’d like an experienced GK at the very least to allow Burge to come out of the firing line should form dip and to learn from in training even if not to start.

Think this is a great shout. An experienced keeper near end of career will be great. On and off the pitch for burge.

Liquid Gold

Burge improved as the season went on but we’re going into a better quality league where he’s going to be busier. Last time in League One he made a lot of mistakes leading to goals, admittedly behind a useless defence. Yes he was voted goalkeeper of the year by managaers but we can’t forget that there were a few times during the season that Robins preceded O’Brien because Burge wasn’t up to standard. If we don’t bring a keeper in and either Burge makes his standard yearly quota of howlers or gets injured and we’re left with a worse keeper then we’ll regret it. I hope we’re trying to move LOB on and get someone in.

Hobo

For me Burge's position is no different to any other. If we can bring someone in who is definitely better we should do so. If it is bring someone in who might be better then no. I don't think Burge is a priority, he is at least showing signs of progression and still young in keeper terms. Haynes was definitely stagnating if not going backwards.

Liquid Gold

This!!

That’s right, anybody that disagrees with you doesn’t have a clue.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’d like an experienced keeper in to push him and battle it out with him for the No1 shirt, what names are around frees from Champ/L1?

Nobody in L2 last season that you’d take a punt on that’s for sure!

Mucca Mad Boys

Voted best GK in L2 vs a thread "is he good enough for L1promotion"! I don't give 2 fucks if a few other manager from L2 seen him have a "good day" where he didn't flap at a cross or kick every goal kick into the dugout. I care about our push for L1 promotion and I don't think Burge is the No.1 for the job.

People keep bringing up how he was voted for GK of the year by other managers. Do you have the figures from the votes?
You almost say it like he won it with all 24 of the votes. He could of just scraped it with 5 votes for example. Not like ALL his peers realise he's good and the fans don't. How many votes exactly did he get in comparison to other keepers in the league?!?! Until somebody comes up with the facts and figures it's a shit, null and void argument and should be banned from use

The fact we all know is that he got the most votes and that's all that matters really.

With all due respect, I've already stated that by every conceivable metric, he was amongst the best GKs in the league. They've been hashed out and debated in all of the dedicated threads to Burge -- feel free to trawl through them.

Since you bring up statistics, they indicate he was in good form last season and the debate criticising Burge rests largely on anecdotes of individual mistakes - which he did make - and I'm yet to see any statistics that say he's made more mistakes than the average L2 GK. Scientific analysis of the performances of L2 GKs had him mostly in the top 3. Marek Stech and Forde generally rating higher than him (more games and more clean sheets). Ironically, you demand statistics but provide none yourself. In short, your argument is based on emotion and anecdotes and not scientific evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread