Is a new Goalkeeper a priority (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

To be fair to Barry from Radford, he does take in a lot of games, and has Sky Sports on tap.

Afterall, we all know how to win the World Cup with England after a few beers and because Southgate appears to know what he's doing, it does make me wonder if he's getting pissed on the job!

DannyThomas_1981

He lost us more points than gained last season although toward the end of the season he was fairly solid. If he could maintain that level then perhaps he could be ok in the league above but his consistency has always been his issue. I’d be happy with him as number 2, i still think we need an older, experienced head between the sticks.

I watched all but a couple of games last season. I don't think it's fair to say Burgey lost us more points than gained.
Keeper clangers I guess are always remembered far more than the great performances. Burgey had more than his share of great performances over the season.

luwalla

Or maybe it's the other way round! Those that rate Burge are the clueless ones??? Ever thought of that?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
What... like all the professionals of the game that voted him best keeper in the league, multiple Cov managers, and our current manger - who seems to have a decent enough grasp on what he’s doing, and played at the highest level in English football.

pastythegreat

What... like all the professionals of the game that voted him best keeper in the league, multiple Cov managers, and our current manger - who seems to have a decent enough grasp on what he’s doing, and played at the highest level in English football.
Several cov managers.
Ok let's look this way.
Presley, didn't have much choice. It was clear we had no money and the owners were more concerned with sixfields than the team.
Mowbray, clear that a GK wasn't his priority as his type of play was 'score more than we concede'.
Venus, didn't have a choice.
Slade, the less said about that the better.
Robins, one of his 1st signings was LOB. Gives you an idea of how much trust he had in Burge

It was also clear that Mowbray preferred RCC to Burge.

luwalla

Several cov managers.
Ok let's look this way.
Presley, didn't have much choice. It was clear we had no money and the owners were more concerned with sixfields than the team.
Mowbray, clear that a GK wasn't his priority as his type of play was 'score more than we concede'.
Robins, one of his 1st signings was LOB. Gives you an idea of how much trust he had in Burge

Haha OK

covcity4life

In my opinion O'Brien was bought in to take Burges place as number 1... just turns out he was even shitter! I would be amazed if we weren't chasing one.
I don't think he worse. At some point will get his chance again I think. Bit if rivalry for top spot is next best thing if we don't bring in a new keeper

lifeskyblue

Burge did make a few howlers last season and he did flap in a few games. However over the season he was fairly solid and dependable and on occasion saved/gained us points. In the final few games he was a calming influence behind the defence.
All keepers are highlighted when they make mistakes (Karius in champions league x2 neuer on walkabout and de Gea...possibly best in world, in World Cup). I would like another keeper in to provide competition or back up but I wouldn’t write Burge off.

Irish Sky Blue

Several cov managers.
Ok let's look this way.

I think the signing of LOB was more an indication of how Robins felt about RCC than his opinion on Burge. The fact that there seems to be no movement on bringing in a keeper to replace him, plus the fact that whenever LOB played he was replaced as soon as Burge was fit would seem to indicate that Robins still rates Burge. I think Burge did enough last season to justify his start as number one for this season. There is a perverse pleasure for me in him getting the League Two award and in seeming to have the confidence of Robins. That is because along with Haynes and Biamou he could never do anything right for some posters. I feel that rather than supporting him and the other two there was/is a certain amount of glee in being able to pick on him for mistakes, imaginary mistakes ( goal conceded at home to Stevenage) or even no mistakes at all simply because it is Burge.
I hope he goes on to become a really solid goalkeeper for us or even better. This would obviously be good for the club. Can every other poster put hand on heart and say that they have the same hope?

pastythegreat

I think the signing of LOB was more an indication of how Robins felt about RCC than his opinion on Burge. The fact that there seems to be no movement on bringing in a keeper to replace him, plus the fact that whenever LOB played he was replaced as soon as Burge was fit would seem to indicate that Robins still rates Burge. I think Burge did enough last season to justify his start as number one for this season. There is a perverse pleasure for me in him getting the League Two award and in seeming to have the confidence of Robins. That is because along with Haynes and Biamou he could never do anything right for some posters. I feel that rather than supporting him and the other two there was/is a certain amount of glee in being able to pick on him for mistakes, imaginary mistakes ( goal conceded at home to Stevenage) or even no mistakes at all simply because it is Burge.
I hope he goes on to become a really solid goalkeeper for us or even better. This would obviously be good for the club. Can every other poster put hand on heart and say that they have the same hope?
No, he signed LOB because there was interest in RCC and we could make some money for him. And he never replaced him with Burge as soon as he was fit. He replaced him after his 2nd clanger.

Captain Dart

I think a lot of people forget he is 25, for a goalie that is not old in fact it is said goalies don't usually reach their peak till 30ish.

I believe he will get better, he's certainly improved from where he was a few seasons ago.

Naturally other options are available but I don't think they need to be a priority.

Irish Sky Blue

I recently read Jim Brown’s book on the 1967 Second Division winning team. He gives accounts of the games as the season progresses. There must have been four or five occasions in that season where Bill Glazier was perceived as being at fault for a goal conceded. I would think that this would be similar to Burge’s mistakes that lead to goals last season. Now anyone who saw Bill play would rate him as a great goalie, one of the best, if not the best, that we have had. I am not comparing Burge to Glazier as he is no where near that level (yet?), just saying that even the best are far from perfect. In Glazier’s day very few games were televised so mistakes were not highlighted so much. Also there was no social media to get likeminded fans together.

Irish Sky Blue

No, he signed LOB because there was interest in RCC and we could make some money for him. And he never replaced him with Burge as soon as he was fit. He replaced him after his 2nd clanger.

I thought that RCC went for free, I didn’t think there was a fee involved. Strange decision for Swindon to pay a fee for a player and then release him for nothing after less than a season.
That is beside the point really as it was clear that Burge was Robin’s number one from the previous season (not even playing RCC at Wembley when he had played in the other Checkatrade games). Burge was injured at the start of the season so couldn’t play. The chances are he would have been first choice if fit. He could hardly drop a player after the first game or two when he had at that stage done nothing wrong. However, even when LOB played well after the initial four games, (Walsall in the Checkatrade, Crewe away in the league) Burge came straight back in.

DannyThomas_1981

I agree with every word of this. Well said ISB.

pastythegreat

I thought that RCC went for free, I didn’t think there was a fee involved. Strange decision for Swindon to pay a fee for a player and then release him for nothing after less than a season.
That is beside the point really as it was clear that Burge was Robin’s number one from the previous season (not even playing RCC at Wembley when he had played in the other Checkatrade games). Burge was injured at the start of the season so couldn’t play. The chances are he would have been first choice if fit. He could hardly drop a player after the first game or two when he had at that stage done nothing wrong. However, even when LOB played well after the initial four games, (Walsall in the Checkatrade, Crewe away in the league) Burge came straight back in.
Yes he was injured for the FIRST game of the season but LOB played the 1st 4 or 5 and was only dropped because of his clangers NOT because Burge was fit as you like to think. Robins even said he'd started with LOB so will keep his faith with him until proven otherwise. He proved otherwise and Burge came back in. However had LOB had continued getting clean sheets (nor had clangers) I doubt Burge would of got back in.

luwalla

but the truth gets in the way of the ramblings of those that don’t rate burge... so they just make stuff up LOL

Magwitch

Without doubt Lee Burge improved through last season was okay at first while our defence was more solid, dipped midway which coincided with a run of defensive injuries but once the defence became more solid he got better. Goalkeepers are an expensive item. I know youngster Corey Addai is well rated and I wouldn’t be surprised if he became number 2 to Burge he’s nearly 21 and just signed a new contract. The ideal situation would be to recruit a new goalie coach perhaps in his late thirties who could play also.

better days

This is an interesting thread
Where are all the keepers who are miles better than Burge?
Any outstanding keeper in L1 or 2 is soon taken by a higher division side even though they may only be bought as backup
Even at the top level goalkeepers make cock ups
I'd say Burge made less errors than Joe Hart last year and he earns £120k a week

pastythegreat

This is an interesting thread
Where are all the keepers who are miles better than Burge?
Any outstanding keeper in L1 or 2 is soon taken by a higher division side even though they may only be bought as backup
Even at the top level goalkeepers make cock ups
I'd say Burge made less errors than Joe Hart last year and he earns £120k a week
All the top L1 and L2 keepers get taken by higher division teams??? Well according to some on here, Burge was the best keeper in L2 last season so where's the teams coming in for him?

Irish Sky Blue

All the top L1 and L2 keepers get taken by higher division teams??? Well according to some on here, Burge was the best keeper in L2 last season so where's the teams coming in for him?

I thought Burge was the top League Two keeper? Just checked, can see no mention of a fee being paid for RCC?
It would have been hard to drop a keeper who had not made a mistake or conceded in the first two league games. Not a message that Robins would want to give out. However RCC was on the bench for the first three games so Burge wasn’t fit or available for selection. League game three, LOB messed up against Newport. League game four he messed up against Yeovil. League game five a fit again Burge returned and was played in every league game afterwards when fit. I make the same suggestion. Had Burge been fit for game one he would have played.
Do you not trust and respect Mark Robin’s opinion of Burge? If he went for another first choice keeper I would say fair enough, he feels he can replace Burge with someone better. The fact that this doesn’t seem to be the case makes it seem as if you are doubting Robin’s judgement. As you said however, Pressley, Venus and Slade all preferred Burge. Even under Mowbray he was first choice until he got injured and RCC had the record breaking run of clean sheets and kept his place.
You would surely join with me and hope that Burge goes from strength to strength, becomes a very steady keeper or better as this is obviously good for the team and the club. If you don’t want this to be the case some might feel you have a downer on Burge even to the detriment of the team. Not the case surely, we all want what’s best for the team don’t we?

Irish Sky Blue

Burge was lucky he has a great defence in front of him last season. He was the same Burge who was awful the season we came down and had an awful defence in front of him with no shape etc.
I think this is a little mean spirited. If you wanted to look at the relegation season it would be easier to say who played well. Not many candidates for that. Willis was a member of that very poor defence but I think was tremendous last season and is probably first choice centre half and one of our most valuable saleable assets. Are we only giving Willis credit for this because of the players around him?
Yes we had a good defence last season but Burge generally played well and made plenty of match saving (Newport away) even season saving (Notts C away 2nd leg) saves.
I don’t think Burge is a great keeper at all. He made lots of errors last season that cost us games. I don’t think that this is too different from most other keepers however (see comments on Glazier above) I don’t think he warrants the abuse and negativity he generates on here a lot of which I think is unfair.

Magwitch

In my opinion Burge changed and upped his game at the tail end of last season was coming out for crosses and if he couldn’t or didn’t fancy catching he was fisting the ball away. For me I judge goalkeepers on the command of their 6 yard box that was Burge’s weakness at first, not now. Still needs work on his kicking imo but unless we are to payout big money we should stick with him and for his desenters give him a clean slate, he will still makes mistakes.

Monty

I think we need to judge him on his performances this season. Had we just bought the goalkeeper rated as to L2 goalkeeper last season we'd of been really pleased and said it was good business. So last year he was best in the league let's see he this season goes.
For added competition with experience and cheap didn't I read Kirkland wanted to make a come back? Pay as you play basis anyone?

pastythegreat

I thought Burge was the top League Two keeper? Just checked, can see no mention of a fee being paid for RCC?
It would have been hard to drop a keeper who had not made a mistake or conceded in the first two league games. Not a message that Robins would want to give out. However RCC was on the bench for the first three games so Burge wasn’t fit or available for selection. League game three, LOB messed up against Newport. League game four he messed up against Yeovil. League game five a fit again Burge returned and was played in every league game afterwards when fit. I make the same suggestion. Had Burge been fit for game one he would have played.
Do you not trust and respect Mark Robin’s opinion of Burge? If he went for another first choice keeper I would say fair enough, he feels he can replace Burge with someone better. The fact that this doesn’t seem to be the case makes it seem as if you are doubting Robin’s judgement. As you said however, Pressley, Venus and Slade all preferred Burge. Even under Mowbray he was first choice until he got injured and RCC had the record breaking run of clean sheets and kept his place.
You would surely join with me and hope that Burge goes from strength to strength, becomes a very steady keeper or better as this is obviously good for the team and the club. If you don’t want this to be the case some might feel you have a downer on Burge even to the detriment of the team. Not the case surely, we all want what’s best for the team don’t we?
Well considering RCC still had a year to run on his contract I'd be very surprised if we let him leave on a free!

NortonSkyBlue

Burge was a poor keeper and is now a decent keeper and hopefully will become a good keeper for us.
Confidence, experience and better defenders have improved Burge. Who would have looked good in our goal in 16/17?
If Robins believes he is good enough then I have faith in his judgement.

shmmeee

Wasn’t Burge 23 at the start of our relegation season? To imply someone of that age hasn’t improved over two seasons is ridiculous.

Some of our fans do this with every academy player to come through unless they’re a forward like Maddison (who has also improved massively in two years) or a special talent like. Bayliss. Turner was shit. Christie was shit. Wilson was shit. I think some just don’t get how a footballer develops, they see Mbappe and think everyone should be finished by 19.

Irish Sky Blue

Well considering RCC still had a year to run on his contract I'd be very surprised if we let him leave on a free!

Not if Robin’s didn’t rate him, even as a number two. You do want Burge to improve and become a better keeper?

Magwitch

Wasn’t Burge 23 at the start of our relegation season? To imply someone of that age hasn’t improved over two seasons is ridiculous.

Some of our fans do this with every academy player to come through unless they’re a forward like Maddison (who has also improved massively in two years) or a special talent like. Bayliss. Turner was shit. Christie was shit. Wilson was shit. I think some just don’t get how a footballer develops, they see Mbappe and think everyone should be finished by 19.
That’s websites for you, we all become managers, poor ones, some making instant knee jerk reactions and too pig headed to admit perhaps they were wrong. You mentioned Ben Turner he was slaughtered game after game on here.

Ranjit Bhurpa

I recently read Jim Brown’s book on the 1967 Second Division winning team. He gives accounts of the games as the season progresses. There must have been four or five occasions in that season where Bill Glazier was perceived as being at fault for a goal conceded. I would think that this would be similar to Burge’s mistakes that lead to goals last season. Now anyone who saw Bill play would rate him as a great goalie, one of the best, if not the best, that we have had. I am not comparing Burge to Glazier as he is no where near that level (yet?), just saying that even the best are far from perfect. In Glazier’s day very few games were televised so mistakes were not highlighted so much. Also there was no social media to get likeminded fans together.
I remember a game against Leeds on a Friday night in 1968/69 with 40,000 at HR which we lost 0-1 due to a Glazier howler and the Pink/CET headline was 'Bill Boobs'. But I'm sure he played next game. Other than Bob Wesson and Allan Dickie, I can't remember any of Glazier's understudies and none of them could have played many games in that capacity.

Mucca Mad Boys

Several cov managers.
Ok let's look this way.

You say most of these managers ‘didn’t have a choice’, when they did because RCC has here. In fact, a lot of people thought Burge, not RCC, should’ve been let go. This season, Burge was far higher in the rankings than RCC. He was playing for Swindon too so hardly a massive gulf in quality.

You’re avoiding the real points. Statistically, he had a good season last year and generally speaking, most managers we’ve had have chosen him to other GKs.

better days

If he continues to improve it will happen

Colin Steins Smile

I remember a game against Leeds on a Friday night in 1968/69 with 40,000 at HR which we lost 0-1 due to a Glazier howler and the Pink/CET headline was 'Bill Boobs'. But I'm sure he played next game. Other than Bob Wesson and Allan Dickie, I can't remember any of Glazier's understudies and none of them could have played many games in that capacity.
Spot on - the only other keeper I remember playing during Bill Glaziers time was.....Neil Ramsbottom, who had a great game when he deputised.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Also forgotten about Eric McManus who was...........forgettable.
Didn't Ramsbottom carry on as No1 when Glazier finished?

Users who are viewing this thread