Hamer (12 Viewers)

Grendel

Assuming they agree a fee with Coventry then you are correct.

And if they don’t he just hangs around for a year and negotiates his own deal

slowpoke

And if they don’t he just hangs around for a year and negotiates his own deal
If that is his intension or Viks doubt we can do anything about it like Youri Tielemans at Leicester and Brereton Diaz at Blackburn, bit risky for them I suppose but they will probably know where they are going, I doubt it, but you never know.
All we can do is play them.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

To be fair if any of the other crop come up to us and demand a pay rise all we have to say is “alright - if you can find the club that’s willing to pay you this, we’ll let you go.”

other than O’Hare there isn’t a single player other than Gyokeres and Hamer that’s won us games single handedly

Blind-Faith

To be fair if any of the other crop come up to us and demand a pay rise all we have to say is “alright - if you can find the club that’s willing to pay you this, we’ll let you go.”

other than O’Hare there isn’t a single player other than Gyokeres and Hamer that’s won us games single handedly

Couldnt of put it better myself 👏

robbiekeane

I'm amazed you and NW are dying on this hill tbh, being able to keep hold of a player of that talent for a reported 20k a week is relative peanuts, we could flog him straight after he signed it if we really wanted to.
We have the third lowest wage bill in the league don't we? This club deserves better.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Where’s the money coming from?

Honestly. Noones saying he’s not good enough noones saying that he’s not worth that money. Noones saying we don’t want him to stay.

But to try and pretend it’s a no brainer or not a significant amount of money that sets a dangerous precedent is juvenile. We are not children playing football manager.

Can you not remember league two ffs

TomRad85

Where’s the money coming from?

Honestly. Noones saying he’s not good enough noones saying that he’s not worth that money. Noones saying we don’t want him to stay.

But to try and pretend it’s a no brainer or not a significant amount of money that sets a dangerous precedent is juvenile. We are not children playing football manager.

Can you not remember league two ffs
We have the third lowest wage bill in the league ffs. If our owner is claiming to have ambition you think maybe we could expect a bit better than that?

TomRad85

In what way is paying £20k/wk in the Championship for a players third contract when he’s one of the best in the league and worth millions “crazy wages”?
Its not but it seems some of our fans are emotionally scarred from the SISU years and scared to actually want to be better.

TomRad85

Anyway if Doug won't dig out a new contract for Hamer would someone mind dropping fat Mike an email to see if he's interested in a football club?

Perryccfc

We have the third lowest wage bill in the league ffs. If our owner is claiming to have ambition you think maybe we could expect a bit better than that?

Have to agree with this take, although I see both sides of the argument. If Doug is expecting Play Offs in 3 of the next 5 years then to expect that on a bottom 3 wage structure would be delusional. MR has worked absolute wonders with this club, but eventually the branch will break if not properly supported.
If DK is genuine in his claims, then paying for Hamer should be top of his priorities.

robbiekeane

In what way is paying £20k/wk in the Championship for a players third contract when he’s one of the best in the league and worth millions “crazy wages”?
Would that not comfortably be our highest wage paid to a player ever? 5 years ago that would probably be half of our wage bill

I’m not even saying don’t do it, but this attitude of “just pay him what he’s worth” and “if we can’t do that then shows a lot about our ambition” when that’s never been our approach and not should it be

robbiekeane

Its not but it seems some of our fans are emotionally scarred from the SISU years and scared to actually want to be better.

This is hilarious. We literally just got to a playoff final without paying more than £15k a week probably.

Now all of a sudden anyone who wants to take a breath before announcing that we need to pay Hamer whatever he wants otherwise we’ll never get anywhere and DK has no ambition, is “scared to actually want to be better”

fuck off

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Would that not comfortably be our highest wage paid to a player ever? 5 years ago that would probably be half of our wage bill

I’m not even saying don’t do it, but this attitude of “just pay him what he’s worth” and “if we can’t do that then shows a lot about our ambition” when that’s never been our approach and not should it be
I’d hazard a guess that all teams in the top 6 next season will have at least one player on 20k a week. Doug talks about play offs regularly - he needs to start competing with the Middlesbrough’s, West Brom’s and Sunderland’s.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

This is hilarious. We literally just got to a playoff final without paying more than £15k a week probably.

Now all of a sudden anyone who wants to take a breath before announcing that we need to pay Hamer whatever he wants otherwise we’ll never get anywhere and DK has no ambition, is “scared to actually want to be better”

fuck off
I said this the other day - The play off final between us and Luton isn’t a common thing. Generally money will talk and the higher paying teams will be there or there abouts

Yorkshire SB

We have to be careful here.

As some are saying, if we blow the wage structure on Hamer then it will cost us more than the extra £10k a week. Existing player contract discussions, and new players negotiations with agents.

Hamer is worth it, no doubt - but what are the knock-on effects? If we could give this to Hamer and there were no consequences then it's a no brainer, but that appears unlikely.

shmmeee

Five years ago we were in L1/2. There’s been massive inflation in player wages. But the fact is he’s worth it. He’s a known quantity, with clear talent, who we can sell for our money back at any point. How many of them have we had post relegation?

TomRad85

fuck off
Have a day off. 5th highest attendances, 3rd lowest budget... its a joke and the club deserves better.

robbiekeane

Have a day off. 5th highest attendances, 3rd lowest budget... its a joke and the club deserves better.

How does our p&l compare to those other clubs?
It’s great to just stick your fingers in your ears and shout “the club deserves better” but unfortunately over here in the real world you need money to make the world go around

shmmeee

It’s great to just stick your fingers in your ears and shout “the club deserves better” but unfortunately over here in the real world you need money to make the world go around

How many clubs make a profit at this level without parachute payments?

cooperskyblue

But whose saying we are gonna have the 3rd lowest budget this season?

We have in recent seasons. King has said judge him on this window. And that's what I'll do... in its entirety and not on rumours.

Selling Vik and even Hamer could then allow us to sustainably increase our budget.

robbiekeane

Five years ago we were in L1/2. There’s been massive inflation in player wages. But the fact is he’s worth it. He’s a known quantity, with clear talent, who we can sell for our money back at any point. How many of them have we had post relegation?
So it would be our highest ever wage or not? didn’t say he’s not worth it. Still can’t forget perspective though

What’s sheaf on? 10k a week? Id prefer 3 Ben sheafs in a squad screaming for depth

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Which is fine - but if you’re going to make statements about competing with these clubs regularly - you got to back it properly

NorthernWisdom

I prefer to be better by spending cash on the foundations first, to produce multiple Hamers in the future, rather than the spunk and gamble approach.

Now if the owner has the cash to buy a couple more Hamers right now the spread the risk and improve the team then fantastic, bring it on. One Hamer alone doth not a team make.

Quite simple.

Anyway, this is all getting incredibly tedious and circular, so let's hope he either signs a new contract or sods off sharpish!

Last edited:

robbiekeane

Which is fine - but if you’re going to make statements about competing with these clubs regularly - you got to back it properly
We’ve competed the last two seasons.

I want us to be backed as much as the next guy but honestly I’d prefer this money and his transfer fee to be spread out across multiple promising talents.

The fact is we need to forget the sentimentality and ego and sell him for as much as possible and get 3 or 4 players in the door.

Lack of depth was what stopped us getting promoted this year, let’s crack on

Users who are viewing this thread