Hamer vs Walsh (1 Viewer)

Who’s your man

• Total voters

Liquid Gold

I love when you see him pick the ball up in the middle, quickly swivel and look up. You know you're about to see an inch perfect pass behind the defence.

KersleyDigs

Hamer is like a miniature steam train. He is scarily getting better. Walsh was better dribbler and going off both feet is a great part of Walsh's game. Both would be immense. Sheaf as Kelly's long term replacement PLUS those two would would make a potentially very strong midfield three at this level

Londonccfcfan

Hamer is like a miniature steam train. He is scarily getting better. Walsh was better dribbler and going off both feet is a great part of Walsh's game. Both would be immense. Sheaf as Kelly's long term replacement PLUS those two would would make a potentially very strong midfield three at this level

Shipley looked good in league 1 too.

Londonccfcfan

Still can't get over how the frigging he'll we got him ahead of all the scouts around Europe. I mean the fee isn't to be sniffed at for the likes of us. It's alot of money. So it was hardly a punt. But seriously we have struck gold.

He will be sold eventually. We will make money from him throughout his career now. Through hefty sell ons etc. Fingers crossed.

procdoc

Still can't get over how the frigging he'll we got him ahead of all the scouts around Europe. I mean the fee isn't to be sniffed at for the likes of us. It's alot of money. So it was hardly a punt. But seriously we have struck gold.

He will be sold eventually. We will make money from him throughout his career now. Through hefty sell ons etc. Fingers crossed.
He’s the first player since Madders I’ve seen for us that I think can go all the way

Magwitch

We won’t, Joy might

shmmeee

Well that’s just not true is it Rupert? The club have sold players recently and reinvested the money. Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good moan

TBF we’ve not reinvested the money. Robins is in credit overall on transfer fees I believe.

Mucca Mad Boys

TBF we’ve not reinvested the money. Robins is in credit overall on transfer fees I believe.

We have. We sold Bayliss, bought Godden. Sold McCallum, bought Hamer. We have reinvested, but we also have to pay all the bills as there is a football club to run.

Playing Birmingham, we’re just not going to spend more than what we receive in transfer fees. Even without COVID, we have less fans in stadiums whilst in exile.

shmmeee

We have. We sold Bayliss, bought Godden. Sold McCallum, bought Hamer. We have reinvested, but we also have to pay all the bills as there is a football club to run.

Playing Birmingham, we’re just not going to spend more than what we receive in transfer fees. Even without COVID, we have less fans in stadiums whilst in exile.

We’ve funded the club, rather than reinvested. Paying bills isn’t investment. Birmingham isn’t an excuse, we were told that it was a decision the owners would fund.

We can argue about whether the owners should or shouldn’t be funding, but the fact is any money taken from transfers is money they don’t have to put it. And not all transfer money gets spent on the squad.

I’m just being pedantic, I think given the circumstances we’ve been reasonably well funded and there no evidence money is being taken out other than loan interest.

Mucca Mad Boys

We’ve funded the club, rather than reinvested. Paying bills isn’t investment. Birmingham isn’t an excuse, we were told that it was a decision the owners would fund.

We can argue about whether the owners should or shouldn’t be funding, but the fact is any money taken from transfers is money they don’t have to put it. And not all transfer money gets spent on the squad.

I’m just being pedantic, I think given the circumstances we’ve been reasonably well funded and there no evidence money is being taken out other than loan interest.

So when we bought Hamer and Godden that wasn’t reinvesting? We sold a (promising) midfielder, and got a 15 goal a season striker in return.

Is your expectation that when a team sells a player, you should spend all that revenue on signing replacement players?

That works for only the top teams.

shmmeee

So when we bought Hamer and Godden that wasn’t reinvesting? We sold a (promising) midfielder, and got a 15 goal a season striker in return.

Is your expectation that when a team sells a player, you should spend all that revenue on signing replacement players?

I don’t have any expectations, I’m just pedantically saying that we don’t reinvest every penny, some of it goes on the day to day running costs. I’m not saying anything about whether that’s right, or wrong, or whether I agree with it, or anything else you’re projecting.

My only point, if you were to drag one out of me, is that despite the number one priority for the club having been cost cutting for a decade, we still need to cut costs. But that’s a whole other topic.

Mucca Mad Boys

I don’t have any expectations, I’m just pedantically saying that we don’t reinvest every penny, some of it goes on the day to day running costs. I’m not saying anything about whether that’s right, or wrong, or whether I agree with it, or anything else you’re projecting.

My only point, if you were to drag one out of me, is that despite the number one priority for the club having been cost cutting for a decade, we still need to cut costs. But that’s a whole other topic.

I don’t think anyone said they reinvested every single penny so, politely, it’s being pedantic for being the sake of it.

Most clubs, barring the elites, have to constantly battle against costs spiralling out of control and selling players is a means to an end of paying their bills.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We've definitely received a lot more than we've spent under the current owners.

Most of that was when they initially turned up and bought promising players who they then sold on quickly for a profit. When we started to plunge down the leagues it was largely free transfers in and out and then in the more recent term it's been from academy players who we've prob received £15m for in fees and add-ons.

We've put some of it back in in the likes of Hamer, Godden and Walker but even with those examples pointed out the fee received was rumoured to more than the fee we paid out.

I accept that the club still runs at a loss which the owners are covering with loans and we can't just spend every penny coming in, or probably even half of it, but we're now back at a level where the income from staying at this level has to be considered against the amount invested. Do you sell a vital player who could make the difference when the income lost would exceed the fee received? Are we going to be able to find a replacement for a fraction of that fee and low wages in comparison to our rivals? We'd likely be relying on someone unproven making the grade and while I love seeing that happen sooner or later you inevitably get one or two wrong and it has disastrous consequences (i.e. Bellamy) and you do need to sign some players with proven pedigree.

higgs

can conform that City would be entitled to compensation. If Liam Walsh leaves on a free transfer - and City have offered him a new deal - then the club will be due compensation as he will still be 23 then (24 in September 2021).
That’s the good news. The bad news is that City wouldn’t be due that much because he wasn’t on the books of the Robins for so long and didn’t come through the youth ranks. There’s an excellent article on football law explaining all this here.
Any payments may be staggered depending on games played for his new club etc.
Saying all that, I think Walsh will sign a new deal at Bristol City - along with Famara Diedhiou. CEO Mark Ashton has a very good relationship with Walsh’s agent (who also represents Joe Williams incidentally) and I think that when Walsh comes back into the first-team fold then we might see something happen then.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

higgs

Maybe a cheeky bit in January could be in order to snap up Walshy

Somerset Sky Blue

Maybe a cheeky bit in January could be in order to snap up Walshy

Not so sure higgs - funnily enough, I'd just read that on the otib forum.
The Bristol fans (and club) seem to be hoping/relying on Walsh boosting the midfield....and even if he hasn't made the team by Jan (or much of an impact), I think they can afford to wait.
A cheeky bid by us would need to be significant enough for them to consider it (unlikely we have the cash to spare) and also would Walsh want to return at present (can we match his wages?).
If he doesn't perform as well / struggles to recover from injury, then we are more likely to have a chance in the summer...but still not sure it is likely.

Sky Blue Harry H

We've definitely received a lot more than we've spent under the current owners.

Assume you are measuring player sales versus player purchases. If you are saying income (including player sales) versus expenditure (including player purchases), then I think we will have spent more than we've brought in.

higgs

Not so sure higgs - funnily enough, I'd just read that on the otib forum.
The Bristol fans (and club) seem to be hoping/relying on Walsh boosting the midfield....and even if he hasn't made the team by Jan (or much of an impact), I think they can afford to wait.
A cheeky bid by us would need to be significant enough for them to consider it (unlikely we have the cash to spare) and also would Walsh want to return at present (can we match his wages?).
If he doesn't perform as well / struggles to recover from injury, then we are more likely to have a chance in the summer...but still not sure it is likely.
He could be seen as a good investment by our owners if they bid say 500k and if he wants to come back here if he performed well he could be worth double that by the summer. The dream is still alive for another bit anyway. Any idea what type of injury he has

Frostie

He could be seen as a good investment by our owners if they bid say 500k and if he wants to come back here if he performed well he could be worth double that by the summer. The dream is still alive for another bit anyway. Any idea what type of injury he has

He'd cost a lot more than £500k

higgs

He'd cost a lot more than £500k
Don't know in the last 6 months of his contract if he sees out his contract it goes to tribunal and they would only receive small instalments they only paid 1m for him it's an interesting one

Frostie

Don't know in the last 6 months of his contract if he sees out his contract it goes to tribunal and they would only receive small instalments they only paid 1m for him it's an interesting one

Yeah, their fee would be uncertain but he's improved a lot & would likely be a first team regular elsewhere. I think they'd take the risk of having him for 6 months & the tribunal fee than sell for £500k in January.
All the talk in Bristol is they expect him to sign a new deal anyway.

higgs

Yeah, their fee would be uncertain but he's improved a lot & would likely be a first team regular elsewhere. I think they'd take the risk of having him for 6 months & the tribunal fee than sell for £500k in January.
All the talk in Bristol is they expect him to sign a new deal anyway.
It's a long shot alright but hopefully Santa can bring us Walsh back for Christmas

Londonccfcfan

Hamer only has 2.5 years left on his current contract.

He needs an improved contract ASAP before seasons out. Rolling 3 year contract would be nice.

Imagine if he gets some sort of long term injury next season. Would mean only a year left on his contract. Cant afford him to run out his contract. Hes too valuable an asset.

Londonccfcfan

Walsh... All day... Every day
100% agree.

Dont really like to comment on fixation of past players.

But imagining Walsh and Hamer playing together would be mouth watering.

You can just see when players of superior quality connect on a different wavelength.

A bit like Dabo/Hamer interchange of close intricate passing took 2 players out vs Wycombe.

Back in the day Gary Mac and Keano were on a different wavelength to the rest.

Evo1883

100% agree.

Dont really like to comment on fixation of past players.

But imagining Walsh and Hamer playing together would be mouth watering.

You can just see when players of superior quality connect on a different wavelength.

A bit like Dabo/Hamer interchange of close intricate passing took 2 players out vs Wycombe.

Back in the day Gary Mac and Keano were on a different wavelength to the rest.

I dont want to slag players off but I'm up and down with Sheaf... Can't work out Wether I rate him or not... Extremely poor Saturday imo

Londonccfcfan

I dont want to slag players off but I'm up and down with Sheaf... Can't work out Wether I rate him or not... Extremely poor Saturday imo

Think Sheaf is a very good player, havnt seen the best of him yet, its a step up for everyone.

Unfortunate he hasnt had a look in during the "easier" games since Kelly come in. Looked a bit rusty as he hasnt had much game time.

Theres no excuse for him now not get a kick up his backside and up his game.

Users who are viewing this thread