Levellers
Busted
The Twang
Selector
Sugarhill Gang
Grandmaster Melle

Wow what a time to be alive

Otis

For me, not the best line-up at all. I only really wish to see Feeder, but then I am not a fan at all by any means.

I will do the stand-up comedy tent though and will still have a great time. There is a lot more going on than just the bands.

chiefdave

Need to shift some tickets. They've sold 20,000 compared to an attendance of 115,000 last year.

Unless of course the idea is to kill it off claiming there is no longer a demand, not as if they haven't looked into stopping it in the past.

Evo1883

Need to shift some tickets. They've sold 20,000 compared to an attendance of 115,000 last year.

Unless of course the idea is to kill it off claiming there is no longer a demand, not as if they haven't looked into stopping it in the past.

Maybe the council want to build a student village on the memorial park :)

hill83

Even though it’s only £2 and it’s barely any effort it’s still effort. ‘Might pop along’ could easily turn into ‘nah leave it.’

chiefdave

Even though it’s only £2 and it’s barely any effort it’s still effort. ‘Might pop along’ could easily turn into ‘nah leave it.’
The ticketing website isn't great. They've used the Ricoh events company rather than a major company which also means they miss out on Godiva featuring in the mailshots the ticketing companies send out.

This is going to make the value of having a trading pitch drop, potential sponsorship drop and probably other knock on effects. By the time they also factor in the costs associated with making it ticketed (the selling of tickets, checking of tickets, making sure the site is secure etc) it may well be the case they're worse off.

Johnnythespider

The ticketing website isn't great. They've used the Ricoh events company rather than a major company which also means they miss out on Godiva featuring in the mailshots the ticketing companies send out.

This is going to make the value of having a trading pitch drop, potential sponsorship drop and probably other knock on effects. By the time they also factor in the costs associated with making it ticketed (the selling of tickets, checking of tickets, making sure the site is secure etoc) it may well be the case they're worse off.
But on the plus side it will be easy to get served at the bar:emoji_beers:

chiefdave

Godiva is this weekend and they still haven't announced the Saturday Rhythm Tent headliner. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute.

SkyBlueDom26

Richard Keogh is coming back this weekend by the looks of it, they've booked him on the Friday and Sunday

Covstu

Haven’t been arsed to get tickets just yet. Not sure what we are doing but sometimes we would go up last minute but tickets make you think twice a little

chiefdave

Haven’t been arsed to get tickets just yet. Not sure what we are doing but sometimes we would go up last minute but tickets make you think twice a little
I'm tempted to head over Saturday evening for Reef and Feeder if the weather isn't bad but I'll defiantly be checking twitter first to see how they're coping with selling tickets and getting people in given its the same people who organise the Ricoh. If its like the reports from Spice Girls at the Ricoh I'll give it a miss!

Covstu

I'm tempted to head over Saturday evening for Reef and Feeder if the weather isn't bad but I'll defiantly be checking twitter first to see how they're coping with selling tickets and getting people in given its the same people who organise the Ricoh. If its like the reports from Spice Girls at the Ricoh I'll give it a miss!
What I can see happening is that the pay on the door people will be in the same queue as the ticket people which will cause havoc

chiefdave

What I can see happening is that the pay on the door people will be in the same queue as the ticket people which will cause havoc
I think a lot of people don't realise one ticket does't cover all weekend so that could cause problems as well.

shmmeee

What’s the craic here? You need to buy a ticket for each day ahead of time?

Hope it fails this year and all the non-Coventry people fuck off so we can have our festival back TBH.

chiefdave

Hope it fails this year and all the non-Coventry people fuck off so we can have our festival back TBH.
I fear the plan is it fails. If you recall the council have tried to scrap it before and there was too much resistance. Then last year they put a fence round it and claimed it wasn't part of any plan to bring in charges.

This year they've brought in charges, not made it clear to people what they need to buy, used a virtually unknown ticketing company. Can see the attendance being massively down and then the council scrapping it as there's 'no demand'.

IMO they'd have been far better off charging more and upping the quality of the bands. If you're going to lose the largest free festival in Europe tag you might as well go for it and not charge so little you'll probably spend as much, if not more, on the extra requirements for a ticketed event as you bring in as additional revenue.

And lets not forget this is all to cover a loss last year that only occurred because they council suddenly decided to become a concert promoter putting gigs on at the Ricoh, to benefit Wasps, that failed leading to acts way over Godiva's budget being moved to the festival.

Otis

I fear the plan is it fails. If you recall the council have tried to scrap it before and there was too much resistance. Then last year they put a fence round it and claimed it wasn't part of any plan to bring in charges.

This year they've brought in charges, not made it clear to people what they need to buy, used a virtually unknown ticketing company. Can see the attendance being massively down and then the council scrapping it as there's 'no demand'.

IMO they'd have been far better off charging more and upping the quality of the bands. If you're going to lose the largest free festival in Europe tag you might as well go for it and not charge so little you'll probably spend as much, if not more, on the extra requirements for a ticketed event as you bring in as additional revenue.

And lets not forget this is all to cover a loss last year that only occurred because they council suddenly decided to become a concert promoter putting gigs on at the Ricoh, to benefit Wasps, that failed leading to acts way over Godiva's budget being moved to the festival.
Yeah, I am sure we would all pay £20-30 for better bands.

With the £10 to park, I can't see why they didn't make entrance free. Just make the money on parking and charge a quid for the programme instead of giving it away for for nothing.

LastGarrison

Yeah, I am sure we would all pay £20-30 for better bands.

With the £10 to park, I can't see why they didn't make entrance free. Just make the money on parking and charge a quid for the programme instead of giving it away for for nothing.
I thought the idea of the nominal fee was to give them a better idea of numbers so they have enough security etc.?

This has grown massively year on year and this was a way of at least giving them some indication.

Otis

I thought the idea of the nominal fee was to give them a better idea of numbers so they have enough security etc.?

This has grown massively year on year and this was a way of at least giving them some indication.
Oh. I thought it was because they were saying they can no longer afford it.

LastGarrison

Oh. I thought it was because they were saying they can no longer afford it.
Think it was to get an idea on numbers and cover the security fees.

I’ve got tickets for all three days but only plan on going the Friday and Saturday.

Just a shout out to anyone going Friday get there at 6 to watch local band The Session - class!

shmmeee

Don’t even know what to do with this post. No, councils don’t plot to scupper free festivals, they’d just cancel it. Not everything is an episode of House of Cards.

Always loved the Schroedingers Council trope (see also any governmental organisation really): that they are both utterly useless and also evil masterminds who can control a population with their cunning schemes.

I will hand you the greatest tool ever for investigating political matters, Hanlons Razor: “Never assume malice when incompetence will do”. Use it liberally and you won’t go far wrong.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Really fancied going up on the Friday night but still on crutches so it might be a bit precarious

clint van damme

Don’t even know what to do with this post. No, councils don’t plot to scupper free festivals, they’d just cancel it. Not everything is an episode of House of Cards.

Always loved the Schroedingers Council trope (see also any governmental organisation really): that they are both utterly useless and also evil masterminds who can control a population with their cunning schemes.

I will hand you the greatest tool ever for investigating political matters, Hanlons Razor: “Never assume malice when incompetence will do”. Use it liberally and you won’t go far wrong.

It is possible to be incompetent and malicious.

NorthernWisdom

It is possible to be incompetent and malicious.
tbf I'm not sure it could be considered malicious to cancel Godiva.

I dunno. I actually agree with shmmeee in the main, that idiocy's the usual driver, but a £2 entry does seem very, very odd indeed. It's easier to cancel something with reduced attendance figures after all.

That being said, and encouraging the idiocy argument, it's also very, very odd indeed that with city of culture coming up, they start scaling back before it. I'd have thought there was a chance for Godiva to be a proper centrepiece of that year.

Users who are viewing this thread