Fresh Ricoh talks (2 Viewers)

Ring Of Steel

I am not sure the council bit is in the clubs control.

To clarify, if your question RE being in a better place than where we were in 2007 being between:

- £1.5m a year rent for 23 days a year access and no revenues. Club making millions (7m?) losses each year, shit management and a club mentality of being very much on the decline

And, assuming a short term way better deal is worked out (I concede that’s an unknown atm)

- Much more sustainable finances (wage bill)
- Better management structure and autonomy for them to run the club how they want within a budget
- Better rental deal while future of stadium is sorted out

I’d say that’s better yeh

I don't know enough about the intricacies of all this to be having this discussion tbh, so lets just say I hope it ends well eventually.

The Philosopher

I still don’t see the point of hankering after the Ricoh. It’s short on atmosphere and badly designed.

Leicester (and the satellite towns to it) are of a comparable size to Coventry and the catchment area.

Their Rugby club has a decent sized stadium with Welford Road and, pre Covid attracted similar crowds to the Wasps. Much as it hurts to say, Leicester football club seem to be doing ok with their own ground and fan base.

It’s perfectly reasonable for a city of our (and Leicester’s) size to have two sporting venues with 20k plus capacities.

For me, the fact that the Ricoh is boring and is as intimidating as pink kittens to opposing teams is the final decider.

Let’s build a proper football ground and let the Wasps and Council stew in their own soup bowl.

Magwitch

Top Rugby as we now know it is going to change massively. I think football will too certainly below championship level.
I still don’t see the point of hankering after the Ricoh. It’s short on atmosphere and badly designed.

Leicester (and the satellite towns to it) are of a comparable size to Coventry and the catchment area.

Their Rugby club has a decent sized stadium with Welford Road and, pre Covid attracted similar crowds to the Wasps. Much as it hurts to say, Leicester football club seem to be doing ok with their own ground and fan base.

It’s perfectly reasonable for a city of our (and Leicester’s) size to have two sporting venues with 20k plus capacities.

For me, the fact that the Ricoh is boring and is as intimidating as pink kittens to opposing teams is the final decider.

Let’s build a proper football ground and let the Wasps and Council stew in their own soup bowl.
Build it where ?

fernandopartridge

We were on a huge downwards trend in 2007... i think it was inevitable we would follow the likes of Leicester, Leeds, QPR, Portsmouth, and even Man City, and fall into the 3rd division.

So i'm not personally "holding SISU responsible" for us ending up down there. Whether we'd have fell into the 4th is up for debate, i'd like to think we wouldn't ,but it took some similarly-sized (and some bigger) clubs a few attempts to get back into the championship.

As for the off-the-pitch shenanigans, they've been debated to the death on a daily basis. Were they totally SISU's fault? probably not. did they contribute to them? probably.
Yes, people forget that the last game at Highfield Rd in 2005 was a relegation battle

Grendel

Wait, what? They've put hardly any money in, apart from all of the money that they've put in, which doesn't count because they've classed it as a loan or "nonsense debt"?

You love having loosey goosey classifications of things that don't count so you can just change things to suit your argument

Sisu promised to invest circa £30 million an initial investment on purchase.

It never happened and the money put in was around £12 to £14 million up to 2012 and appears in the ARVO fund. The only other money put in at all is in the Sisu Master Fund and these are interest bearing short term loans which require payback

The ridiculous loan structures set up triple the debt and give an illusion far more has been put in when it hasn’t - it’s legal but an accounting trick

They received a million back last year as repayment of some deferrals

The structure means it’s impossible in the event of administration for other purchasers to buy the club

Hope that’s less loosey goosey for you

Liquid Gold

I fucking hate the Ricoh as I do all modern grounds and have said many times but I'd never turn down ownership of the place if it was on the table at reasonable terms. It would guarantee the club's future for years to come, give sisu a product to sell and give us the chance to move forward finally.

robbiethemole

The King Power and Welford Rd are only a few hundred yards apart but two totally different crowds go to them, so no conflict there so why not two grounds in Cov, at least we wont have to look at the Ricoh from the new ground.

BTW, if we go back short-term where will my seat I've paid for be??........................still in St Andrews???

Sky Blue Pete

The King Power and Welford Rd are only a few hundred yards apart but two totally different crowds go to them, so no conflict there so why not two grounds in Cov, at least we wont have to look at the Ricoh from the new ground.

BTW, if we go back short-term where will my seat I've paid for be??........................still in St Andrews???
If that’s what you want yeah

Travs

Yes, people forget that the last game at Highfield Rd in 2005 was a relegation battle

From what i remember of that season, it was pretty dire... we pulled it out the bag in the final couple of home games... Staunton scored right at the end against either Brighton/Forest i think, and then the big final day win.

skybluetony176

While we’re playing behind closed doors I really can’t see the point in coming back unless we want to do Wasps a favour and personally I ain’t in the doing Wasps a favour mood. Can’t see many games if any being in front of a crowd this season so why bother.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

From what i remember of that season, it was pretty dire... we pulled it out the bag in the final couple of home games... Staunton scored right at the end against either Brighton/Forest i think, and then the big final day win.
Didn’t we get beat by already relegated Crewe in the last game?

Travs

Didn’t we get beat by already relegated Crewe in the last game?

Looks like you're correct there.

I recall the Brighton match, with the late Staunton winner. A look back through and i can recall the Forest 2-0. Can't recall the Wolves game on the 16th April for some reason (possibly being my birthday and associated intake of drinks beforehand!)

Not surprised i can't remember the Crewe game, being a dead rubber!

fernandopartridge

Yeah we had a good run of home games to keep us up, it was fitting really but Brighton, Forest, Wolves and Derby it was, W3 D1

RegTheDonk

Read something today about Brexit and the deal with the EU is looking a bit more likely because there's been some movement on the "state aid" issue. Anybody up to speed on that and does it help or hinder our "case" against the council?

fernandopartridge

Read something today about Brexit and the deal with the EU is looking a bit more likely because there's been some movement on the "state aid" issue. Anybody up to speed on that and does it help or hinder our "case" against the council?
Well the only deal could really be pretty much full alignment with the EU State Aid regime

ajsccfc

Sorry, but I think this has been massively overlooked in the conversation.

Who the fuck butters Farley's Rusks?

I always assumed that buttered Weetabix was just Bob Mortimer taking the piss out of Sunderland on his podcast but turns out it's actually a real thing some people have, what the fuck

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Looks like you're correct there.

I recall the Brighton match, with the late Staunton winner. A look back through and i can recall the Forest 2-0. Can't recall the Wolves game on the 16th April for some reason (possibly being my birthday and associated intake of drinks beforehand!)

Not surprised i can't remember the Crewe game, being a dead rubber!
I hate Crewe with a passion. Always used to beat us... and that JPT semi - I’m 31... never forgiven them for that

win9nut

I always assumed that buttered Weetabix was just Bob Mortimer taking the piss out of Sunderland on his podcast but turns out it's actually a real thing some people have, what the fuck

My Grandad (a Coventrian) was known to have a buttered Weetabix occasionally. I enjoyed them too when I was a kid, soon grew out of it though mind...

Buttered Rusk's though...
giphy.gif

covboy1987

Apologies if already posted

Everyone stay tuned - The meeting Friday (today) is a meeting with a difference to what we have heard previously - The big guns on both sides (the decision Makers) are both in attendance - previous meetings have seen the top middle men running reporting back – If a deal is going to be struck this is the time – If they do not conclude a deal between both owners then this occasion then a deal in the foreseeable future is very doubtful

shmmeee

I used to eat buttered weetabix as a kid, with sugar on top. My Dad taught me it. Though since then I’ve never seen him eat one so could be trolling me.

fernandopartridge

Everyone stay tuned - The meeting Friday (today) is a meeting with a difference to what we have heard previously - The big guns on both sides (the decision Makers) are both in attendance - previous meetings have seen the top middle men running reporting back – If a deal is going to be struck this is the time – If they do not conclude a deal between both owners then this occasion then a deal in the foreseeable future is very doubtful
It depends on the nature of the discussion doesn't it? Is it for a short term rental or something else? If it's the former then why do the big guns need to be involved?

shmmeee

As I understand it (which may not be enough), firstly the state aid case itself won’t be affected other than if we don’t sign a deal which agreed to the ECJ judgements. Which it looks like we now will, though God knows with this lot in charge.

But also as I understand it Sisu don’t need the ECJ judgement to be enacted for them to be able to use it in a civil case for compensation.

Soooo....maybe?

Samo

I used to eat buttered weetabix as a kid, with sugar on top. My Dad taught me it. Though since then I’ve never seen him eat one so could be trolling me.

Dirty bastards!

Reactions: vow

derbyskyblue

err, well...er yeah, my mum used to give me weetabix with butter on......

ajsccfc

err, well...er yeah, my mum used to give me weetabix with butter on......

My Grandad (a Coventrian) was known to have a buttered Weetabix occasionally. I enjoyed them too when I was a kid, soon grew out of it though mind...

Buttered Rusk's though...
giphy.gif

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON

My worry is that on that Sunderland site the guy equates it with a crisp sandwich, which makes me worry that people would see that a bizarre oddity too. My world's crashing in around me here, I can't lie

Users who are viewing this thread