Fresh Ricoh talks (1 Viewer)

slyblue57

What would be the plan if Wasps don’t collapse because I don’t see that this is something that is certain to happen? What happens If Wasps collapse but then are saved by some financial white knight charging to their rescue? We are marooned in another city. We need to be back in Coventry as soon as possible. Any other scenario would not be financially sustainable for long. Clive Eakin on the phone in on Friday said that he believed the rent at St Andrews was double that at the Ricoh. Higher rent, less income, not a recipe for long term stability.
If we ve got to believe what Eakin says we re fucked are you sure he was talking about Coventry City or maybe Colchester or any other team beginning with a C .

shmmeee

What would be the plan if Wasps don’t collapse because I don’t see that this is something that is certain to happen? What happens If Wasps collapse but then are saved by some financial white knight charging to their rescue? We are marooned in another city. We need to be back in Coventry as soon as possible. Any other scenario would not be financially sustainable for long. Clive Eakin on the phone in on Friday said that he believed the rent at St Andrews was double that at the Ricoh. Higher rent, less income, not a recipe for long term stability.

This. Aside from anything else I want us to stand on our own two feet not be some sad twisted entity hanging on for someone else’s failure. People seem obsessed with tying our future to Wasps. The opposite of love isn’t hate guys, it’s indifference.

NorthernWisdom

Sponsorship means nothing if their bond holders refuses to negate their payments
If I was a bond holder, I would accept what they're being asked.

I'd be seeing the options as getting little now, or potentially something in the future, and I'd be recognising these were exceptional times.

I'm not saying everybody will think the same, but I'd be surprised, given the circumstances, if bond holders weren't quite... flexible atm.

(And yes, I'd like to be surprised, but I'd see that as hope above reason)

Sky Blue Pete

Eakin wouldn’t know though but it makes a good story that Sisu chose to play away

Grendel

If I was a bond holder, I would accept what they're being asked.

I'd be seeing the options as getting little now, or potentially something in the future, and I'd be recognising these were exceptional times.

I'm not saying everybody will think the same, but I'd be surprised, given the circumstances, if bond holders weren't quite... flexible atm.

(And yes, I'd like to be surprised, but I'd see that as hope above reason)

It’s nothing to do with negating payments anyway

pipkin73

From what i remember reading, we are paying a higher rent but we are getting more for our money. At SA we are getting more money from food and beverage and car parking etc... Plus we are allowed in earlier on a match day. From what i remember reading, at the Ricoh we were allowed in about 2 hours before KO and had to be out 1 hour after the game but at SA we can arrive early for a game and are given fair time after the game to leave. Think MR said something like we get the match day rather than a few hours.

fatso

Its selling players that is sustaining us, not gate receipts, and as such, we are in a better position than many other clubs. Our business plan centres on developing young players, and generating income from them.

Our best plan for a return to Cov (imho) is to wait for Wasps financial position to deteriorate until they either, 1, go bust or 2, need a business partner to share costs.
That would allow us part ownership of the Ricoh and subsequent part access to match day revenues.
I dont see any white knight on the horizon looking to piss money up the wall on a business that is hemorrhaging money at an alarming rate.

Personally I dont feel we need to be back in Coventry any time soon, unless it is on our terms. A premature return would leave us in exactly the same situation that existed before our departure to Birmingham, and what exactly would that achieve?

Grendel

From what i remember reading, we are paying a higher rent but we are getting more for our money. At SA we are getting more money from food and beverage and car parking etc... Plus we are allowed in earlier on a match day. From what i remember reading, at the Ricoh we were allowed in about 2 hours before KO and had to be out 1 hour after the game but at SA we can arrive early for a game and are given fair time after the game to leave. Think MR said something like we get the match day rather than a few hours.

Revenues from f and b are low profit. Also i doubt Seppalla saw COVID coming before signing. The hard reality is we’d have in a normal season massive more revenue in Coventry than Birmingham and the shrewd businesswoman said no

oldfiver

Revenues from f and b are low profit. Also i doubt Seppalla saw COVID coming before signing. The hard reality is we’d have in a normal season massive more revenue in Coventry than Birmingham and the shrewd businesswoman said no

Revenues from. F and B would be higher if a large percentage was not going to Franchisees linked to retail loans

Mucca Mad Boys

In the summer, it was feasible a lot of the of the 2020/21 would be played behind closed doors and at reduced capacities if the doors are allowed open. Maybe it played a part in the negotiation stance, maybe not.

It goes without saying I obviously agree that remaining in Birmingham is unsustainable. From a commercial POV, The only saving grace this season might actually be COVID as we’d be operating at attendances similar to last season at St Andrews or the RICOH.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If that's true why was so much made about the F&B income? It eventually got trotted out as the main sticking point in the negotiations and from the sounds of it you'd think it was the difference between us going bust or not.

Irish Sky Blue

That's food and beverages from an average gate of 5 or 6k. last season. Gates at the Ricoh, particularly with many teams potentially selling out the away end, would be massively up on that. In a normal season we would be hugely down on revenue playing in Birmingham.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

London Franchise Wasps want us back at the white elephant stadium for one reason only :
a new sponser for the stadium, CCFC being back there will get them one.pusb

Ricoh sponsorship ran out 2015. We've played at the stadium since then. No new sponsor.

I admit that now being a Championship team increases the potential likelihood of a sponsor but I doubt there's a swath of companies wanting to put their name on a building where the two teams involved are in a constant war, esp where the bigger draw of the two may end up leaving in the foreseeable future because their owners are constantly talking about building their own stadium.

Irish Sky Blue

Its selling players that is sustaining us, not gate receipts, and as such, we are in a better position than many other clubs. Our business plan centres on developing young players, and generating income from them.

Our best plan for a return to Cov (imho) is to wait for Wasps financial position to deteriorate until they either, 1, go bust or 2, need a business partner to share costs.
That would allow us part ownership of the Ricoh and subsequent part access to match day revenues.
I dont see any white knight on the horizon looking to piss money up the wall on a business that is hemorrhaging money at an alarming rate.

Personally I dont feel we need to be back in Coventry any time soon, unless it is on our terms. A premature return would leave us in exactly the same situation that existed before our departure to Birmingham, and what exactly would that achieve?
How long would you wait for Wasps to go bust? A year? Five years? Ten?
I would ask again. What is plan B if Wasps don't go bust? You seem to say that our only strategy we need, one that is costing us millions in lost revenue, is to wait for another company to go out of business
At a conservative estimate gates at the Ricoh would be at least 50% more than St Andrews. Do you really think we can just right off the massive extra revenue this would provide?
Irrespective of all of this, Coventry City needs to play in our own city.

Irish Sky Blue

Eakin literally knows fuck all and will just be peddling whatever he is told to by his employers... His "information" about the indemnity clause is proof of that
You know that for a fact?
I would think his circle of professional acquaintances would be far more 'in the know' than most posters on here.

mr_monkey

You know that for a fact?
I would think his circle of professional acquaintances would be far more 'in the know' than most posters on here.

The fact that he live on radio a number of times misinformed the public about reasons why we aren't at the Ricoh (to the point that posters from here went onto the radio to correct him) speaks volumes for where he gets his "info" from....

Last edited:

Magwitch

Another thing to take into account is Wasp main man Richardson is a successful multi-millionaire and he isn’t going to just sit back and allow an asset such as the Ricoh become available for a company such as sisu to just move in and nick it, steps will be taken long before to prevent that.

mr_monkey

Another thing to take into account is Wasp main man Richardson is a successful multi-millionaire and he isn’t going to just sit back and allow an asset such as the Ricoh become available for a company such as sisu to just move in and nick it, steps will be taken long before to prevent that.

You do realise that a "company such as sisu" is the same sort of company that owns wasps don't you 😂

Reactions: vow

higgs

If wasps are distressed could sisu be interested in acquiring a distressed wasps?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Magwitch

You do realise that a "company such as sisu" is the same sort of company that owns wasps don't you 😂
Big business is harsh to say the least I’m not really interested in Wasps, what they do or how they do it I’m just pointing out to some on here who might think Wasps possible demise doesn’t necessarily mean the Ricoh Arena is up for grabs I’m certain things will be in place to prevent that from happening, possibly all ready is.

Sky Blue Harry H

I’m certain things will be in place to prevent that from happening, possibly all ready is.

Sale Sharks ? (post Cov-id of course)

If Wasps go, it'll be CCFC. Think it'll come down to an agreement, as Wasps will be completely buggered financially without an adjustment to their short term/long term planning. Mexican stand off otherwise, which will hurt both parties - a race to the bottom.

oldfiver

If wasps are distressed could sisu be interested in acquiring a distressed wasps?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

And do what with them?

They would still be having to deal with the Council. I cannot see that ever working!

Tommo1993

Not sure why SISU would be interested in acquiring Wasps. We’re seeing right now the lack of support Rugby has, and the precarious (understatement) state it’s in.

Brylowes

I don’t follow love to see them lose but I have noticed that wasps seem to be smashing it this season. How have they gone from pure dog shit to class over 6 months? Have they spent a lot bringing in players and need to recoup?
:unsure: Is it because they’re playing on a pristine pitch ‘that resembles a smooth flat emerald oasis
ever since our cloggers upped-sticks for Brum ;)

Users who are viewing this thread