Even more players to go. (1 Viewer)

RoboCCFC90

not surprised with jordan clarke,never good enough,only dumb cov fans could think he was good enough

What a stupid comment with no foundation or evidence to support that.

Yes Jordan isn't better than Christie, but he is good enough to at least to be playing in League 1 and would be an asset if we kept him.

skybluepm2

Agreed....always hated Clarke, just something about him. All round sh*t player.

However, still can't get my head around the timing of all this. We will no doubt be stuck with the 'deadwood' (or some of) well into the season. Look at Malaga, he was told over 6 months ago that he was surplus and still he's knokcing about.. Beyond stupidity. I'm most surprised at Jennings to be honest. We will have a threadbare squad full of youth teamers...watch this space. :jerkit:

covcity4life

What a stupid comment with no foundation or evidence to support that.

Yes Jordan isn't better than Christie, but he is good enough to at least to be playing in League 1 and would be an asset if we kept him.

yeh just like he was good enough for the championship right?

i mean look at you robo, your scrambling for reasons why pressley may have let him go, but you havnt once thought that maybe the football manager doesnt think clarke is a good football player

i am happy, hes never filled me with confidence and even if we replace him with a 15 year old he cant be much worse.

RoboCCFC90

Aaron Phillips?

Yeah Aaron had the spell at Nuneaton at the tail end of last season with Burge? I remember people saying that they had a promising loan spell, but Burge and Phillips are nippers, they should be going out and getting experience not sitting on the bench with no development. Jordan Clarke has experience at the Championship and League 1, levels that Phillips and Burge aren't ready for yet..

fernandopartridge

Well done Pressley. No great losses there.

It's a shame that it's taken administration to bring about a clear out of this nature. It's been 11 years in coming.

hill83

not surprised with jordan clarke,never good enough,only dumb cov fans could think he was good enough

To be fair, you did say Cody McDonald would get hero status due to his goals, so we all make mistakes.

Last edited:

duffer

Just my opinion, but these cuts look more about reducing the wage bill than removing dead wood (with the possible exception of Clarke, unless he signed a new contract last season?).

Such is life, I suppose. I appreciate we need to pay within our means, but I do wonder at the logic of cutting so many players when we're not able to sign anyone.

To be honest, I'm more concerned with the general future of the club, than the quality of the squad. Utterly arse-backwards that, I know. What it is to be a cov fan...

RoboCCFC90

yeh just like he was good enough for the championship right?

i mean look at you robo, your scrambling for reasons why pressley may have let him go, but you havnt once thought that maybe the football manager doesnt think clarke is a good football player

i am happy, hes never filled me with confidence and even if we replace him with a 15 year old he cant be much worse.

Being Pressley's decision if the Manager believe's Jordan isn't good enough then that his decision, but I can't see the benefit of putting him up for transfer not just because of his Footballing ability, but also for the experience and depth in the squad, we are now less than six weeks away from the season kicking off, we have yet signed no players, we are still in Admin and could be for a month possibly, which if so reduces our options because at which point many targets would have signed for different clubs, no player we bring may have benefitted from any type of Pre Season training so is likely to be unfit and there is no incentive for any player to want to join us right now, we are best utilising the squad we have because if the FL say Otium don't pass the test kiss goodbye for City being able to sign players this summer..

Si80

I don't know why the same people are talking about relegation, all of the players we want to get rid of are substitutes at best, name me one starter who's been asked to leave?

Erm Jennings and Edge. We aren't going to have Bailey again this year, nor Martin so both of those would start the season for us.

Jennings played 39 times last season in the league, Edj 33 according to wiki. I'd bet that most of those were starts too rather than sub appearances.

Manchester_sky_blue

Erm Jennings and Edge. We aren't going to have Bailey again this year, nor Martin so both of those would start the season for us.

Jennings played 39 times last season in the league, Edj 33 according to wiki. I'd bet that most of those were starts too rather than sub appearances.

Im not overly surprised at Edj and Jennings being let go but it does make the decision to release Cameron look a bit odd. You would assume that Willis will now be a regular starter in defence.

hill83

He said name him one starter. You've named two.
He wins on a SBT technicality.

luwalla

Absolutely no way!! Jordan is a good full back and although Christie is a better defender I would have kept Jordan as cover. Jordan struggled early on last season, but to say JC was a liablility is way off the mark!!

Potential? We are talking about someone who is 21 years old (Still young!), has played 82 times for City, has been capped at England U19 and U20 level's, if Jordan was not going to be a starter ahead of Christie, Jordan should have been kept at least as a back up full back in that position!

have to agree to disagree im afraid.. i guess thats what makes sport, and football in particular, such a great game ot debate.. some of us see one thing, some us another

Regarding christie.. i alwasy thought the strength to his game was actually is pace on the attack & his ability to cross a ball, rather than his defending .. i mean hes a decent defender for sure.. but his game is more about the attack side of things for me. where as again, and i dont want to be overly critical of the lad here, but clarke couldnt cross for toffee 90% of the time! and he certainly couldnt go past people like christie does.. he'd get down the wing sometimes & even beat his man occasionally.. and then he'd whack it straight into the first defender in the box..

overall just not quite good enough.. to be honest i think his confidence had gone a bit too.. maybe je will go somewhere else, with a fresh start and become a better player, with a bit more confidence.. i hope he does

IT1987

Sky Blue squad for the future!

Think SISU should be congratulated as they are clearly planning early for our appearance in the Blue Square league! With potential further points deductions we could be getting there quicker than Luton did?

J

Jack Griffin

This is the wrong decision from Pressley and I don't know what thought process he went through to get to this decision...

Oh come on, he has been told to cut 50% of the wages.. he is between a rock & a hard place.

As it stands this is a bottom third squad, that is what the foreseeable future holds.

Manchester_sky_blue

overall just not quite good enough.. to be honest i think his confidence had gone a bit too.. maybe je will go somewhere else, with a fresh start and become a better player, with a bit more confidence.. i hope he does

Look at Grandison, found his feet at Shrewsbury and now Champ clubs are offering him deals.

covcity4life

To be fair, you did say Cody McDonald would get hero status due to his goals, so we all make mistakes.

once again show me the post,dont make things up

what i said was i think cody can score goals in league one, he didnt get a chance at cov so we STILL dont know do we?

i still stand by that too, he jsut dont fit 1 upfront system at cov.

i probably do make mistakes,but this aint one of them.

hill83

Last edited:

covcity4life

Being Pressley's decision if the Manager believe's Jordan isn't good enough then that his decision, but I can't see the benefit of putting him up for transfer not just because of his Footballing ability, but also for the experience and depth in the squad, we are now less than six weeks away from the season kicking off, we have yet signed no players, we are still in Admin and could be for a month possibly, which if so reduces our options because at which point many targets would have signed for different clubs, no player we bring may have benefitted from any type of Pre Season training so is likely to be unfit and there is no incentive for any player to want to join us right now, we are best utilising the squad we have because if the FL say Otium don't pass the test kiss goodbye for City being able to sign players this summer..

yeh i can agree that with current situation he could have been utilised as full back(backup)

but i guess the manager sees more in academy kids(probably stronger on the ball)

Sbarcher

Wow - Aidy Boothroyd is going to have a field day!

fernandopartridge

Jennings was dreadful for the most part - plenty were wondering how he kept Thomas out of the side. Don't get me started on Edge.

Jack Griffin, is it fundamentally wrong to cut the wage bill? Yes or no will suffice.

Noggin

I still don't 'get' Nando's. It's not good enough to count as a proper restaurant and service is way too slow and semi-manual to count as fast food. All hype.

nandos is great, while it isn't fast like fast food it's much more healthy, much better quality and much more consistent. It certainly is good enough to class as a proper restaurant in it's price range, it's no fat duck or waterside inn of course but then you are spending £10 a head not £200, it's not all hype but it probably is over hyped, multiple times I've seen 30 min+ ques of the door at nandos while other decent restaurants around sit less than half full which is a bit silly. You know what you are going to get with nandos though, if you fancy a spicy bit of well cooked flame grilled chicken and chips at a decent price then you'll not do better than nandos, if you fancy anything else at all go elsewhere.

I personally don't think so, SP made it clear that he wanted to cut the 1st team squad to 25, in a team that had 35, there were going to be casualties, and if you look at the players who have been told can leave, none of them are starters under SP, Jennings and Clarke I was genuinely shocked about, so FFP might have been a factor for them (only speculating), but the rest, I think are a drain on what little resources we have as I don't hint they are either: good enough, or worth their wage.

This however, does confirm that Thorn's transfer policy was a failure, the only 2 players se to survive are Fleck and Barton, and as much as I am a fan of the 2, Fleck in particular, I'm obliged to say the jury is still out on them.

Getting rid of players who you feel aren't worth the wage is a great idea if you are in the position to replace them with players who are worth their wage. we arn't though, we are going to be in all sorts of trouble as it doesn't look (whatever the deluded pressley says) that we will be signing players before the start of the season.

covcity4life

YEH AND HE DIDNT PLAY

my whole prediction was based on cody macdonald playing games for coventry city.

hes not gonna score from bench is he? lmao

also a predicition in august is completley different to 4-5 years of watching a player and telling peoples hes notr good enough and then being vindicated is it.

im sorry your best friends clarke has gone hill, you always had pity/sympathy for him i know, but hes gone now,time to move on.

hill83

YEH AND HE DIDNT PLAY

my whole prediction was based on cody macdonald playing games for coventry city.

hes not gonna score from bench is he? lmao

So you were wrong then.

That all I'm saying, you call people dumb, don't do it.
You said I was making it up and wanted proof. You've got it.

Last edited:

covcity4life

So you were wrong then.

technically wrong on a pre season prediction, correct on a detailed player review

yeh ill take that everytime

i pity those who watch players week in/out and cant judge them properly. im not perect but i am close, ill have to live with it.

RoboCCFC90

have to agree to disagree im afraid.. i guess thats what makes sport, and football in particular, such a great game ot debate.. some of us see one thing, some us another

Regarding christie.. i alwasy thought the strength to his game was actually is pace on the attack & his ability to cross a ball, rather than his defending .. i mean hes a decent defender for sure.. but his game is more about the attack side of things for me. where as again, and i dont want to be overly critical of the lad here, but clarke couldnt cross for toffee 90% of the time! and he certainly couldnt go past people like christie does.. he'd get down the wing sometimes & even beat his man occasionally.. and then he'd whack it straight into the first defender in the box..

See the thing is I don't disagree I have already stated that I feel Cyrus Christie is the better full back for that position, but my point is we are currenlty in Admin and need to utilise the squad we have. If lets say all the players are sold that Pressley has listed, but isn't able to make any signings due to Admin then our potential back four at Crawley could be: Adams, Willis, Christie, Phillips. With that being the case and no signings in the forseeable future Pressley has to utilise the players he has until we are out of Admin not based on Fisher's promises because JC would help!

J

Jack Griffin

Jennings was dreadful for the most part - plenty were wondering how he kept Thomas out of the side. Don't get me started on Edge.

Jack Griffin, is it fundamentally wrong to cut the wage bill? Yes or no will suffice.

Its fundamentally wrong to slash crowds by moving away from Coventry thereby forcing huge salary reductions because the major income stream, ticket sales, will become a pale shadow of what it should be.

luwalla

Look at Grandison, found his feet at Shrewsbury and now Champ clubs are offering him deals.

yep , exactly what i meant.. similar scenario too.. IE. not getting many games here, starts making mistakes when he does get a game, looses a bit of confidence etc etc

then goes somewhere else, plays week in week out, builds up momentum & gains confidence. its a common thing, and shouldn't reflect too badly on clarke .. look at the amount of decent players that start up at prem/ championship clubs.. get let go.. drop down to league 1 2 ( or even lower ) and then work back up.. some have even been brought back again by the top level clubs that let them go!

Evo1883

it wont and shouldn't be a ssuprise if we are relegated ,with no real time and money to replace these players like for like or better ,we will have a lot of youth this season ,I suppose they will try harder than some of the first teamers did , but in reality they will be bullied off the ball and we will struggle ....AS PER

hill83

technically wrong on a pre season prediction, correct on a detailed player review

yeh ill take that everytime

i pity those who watch players week in/out and cant judge them properly. im not perect but i am close, ill have to live with it.

Good enough for me, we are getting there. Let's move on ;)

covcity4life

Good enough for me, we are getting there. Let's move on ;)

and im being a monumental douche because i got far far more flack for politely rating jordan clarke as 5 or 6 in match threads for last 2-3 years!

ill tone it down now i got it off my chest.

RoboCCFC90

Oh come on, he has been told to cut 50% of the wages.. he is between a rock & a hard place.

As it stands this is a bottom third squad, that is what the foreseeable future holds.

I get that Jack but 4 players have already been released (Wood, Elliott, Stewart, Cameron) and now the manager wants rid of Bell, Sheffers, Edjenguele, Clarke, Jennings, Malaga, Ronald McDonald and Dunn. That's not 50% of the budget that must be pushing on 70% and they're the players that I'll be very surprised if anyone takes an interest in barr Jordan Clarke and Cody..

Users who are viewing this thread