European championships 2020 thread (4 Viewers)

Grendel

It's not who said it, it's the fact that it is the current directives on the application of the laws of the game. You can argue that they are wrong and need to be changed but in 2021 as per the UEFA directive that was a red card.

You can argue against it as Walton gives a biased view. The UEFA directive on Sterling was it was a clear penalty yet I can’t recall you saying much on that

Grendel

Another bitching match for the site's children.

Can we have a soft play board?

Ironic given you seem to only want to go on about Wales how you can’t stand them and hate Danny Murphy

Evo1883

I can see why it was a red he almost killed him fucking horrific , interesting that walton said uefa explained this was a red card incident before this exact match 🤣🤣 it's a fucking yellow , waltons a massive blurt E4V4yTDXEAAdE5C.jpeg

COV

Long story short , it wasn't a red card offence

then why did he get a red card

The question is not whether it should be a red card, the answer to that question is no. Zero intent and not serious enough imho.

The question is whether it was a red card with today’s laws in place, the answer to that question is yes.

Evo1883

then why did he get a red card

The question is not whether it should be a red card, the answer to that question is no. Zero intent and not serious enough imho.

The question is whether it was a red card with today’s laws in place, the answer to that question is yes.

Mate , why was this a red card ?

Are they always correct..no way he certainly wasn't here.
And reference the other point , has walton ever disagreed with a referees decision 🤔

COV

Mate , why was this a red card ?

Are they always correct..no way he certainly wasn't here

“endangering an opponent”

Intent is not relevant anymore, anything like that is gonna get a straight red these days whether you like it or not.

Evo1883

“endangering an opponent”

Intent is not relevant anymore, anything like that is gonna get a straight red these days whether you like it or not.

So to sum up , kicking a ball and not unnaturally swerving your leg away from an opponent is now a red card offence .

Sorry I'm lost and so is the game if this is the way

There has to be some common sense , people on here were saying the tackle earlier was horrific , it definitely wasn't, the only thing horrific was the players reaction which partly swayed the refs decision ...even though it was more fake than the noises my missus made 15 minutes ago

COV

So to sum up , kicking a ball and not unnaturally swerving your leg away from an opponent is now a red card offence .

Sorry I'm lost .

There has to be some common sense , people on here were saying the tackle earlier was horrific , it definitely wasn't, the only thing horrific was bernadeschis reaction which partly swayed the refs decision ...even though it was more fake than the noises my missus made 15 minutes ago

you don’t seem to be able to understand- they are rules, there is no leeway for referees to apply common sense.

Evo1883

you don’t seem to be able to understand- they are rules, there is no leeway for referees to apply common sense.

I understand , there is no physical way a player can manoeuvre his leg away from that in the video , all he's done is kick the ball ... let's also not make out mistakes aren't made by referees even with the use of VAR , it was shambolic at times last season

Even the officials have swayed from the rules and made bizarre decisions

Last edited:

chiefdave

Which raises two issues. Firstly, why, in an era of VAR, have other similar tackles in this tournament not resulted in red cards.

Secondly, if we continue down this path its basically going to become a non-contact sports. Super slow-mo to see if there's a the slightest bit of contact for a penalty. Sending off any player who mistimes a tackles and makes contact with another player.

If we're going that way not sure it will maintain my interest.

Liquid Gold

Surely you can tell the difference between stepping on a toe when trying to get across the player and going over the top of the ball studs up and going straight into the ankle at full speed.

Evo1883

Surely you can tell the difference between stepping on a toe when trying to get across the player and going over the top of the ball studs up and going straight into the ankle at full speed.

He didn't go over the ball at all , his foot was In a natural position to make the tackle , the ball was pushed forward and he stood on the italian players foot with his toe reaching his shin .

Robertson also stood on raheems foot , therefore its a penalty

COV

Which raises two issues. Firstly, why, in an era of VAR, have other similar tackles in this tournament not resulted in red cards.

Secondly, if we continue down this path its basically going to become a non-contact sports. Super slow-mo to see if there's a the slightest bit of contact for a penalty. Sending off any player who mistimes a tackles and makes contact with another player.

If we're going that way not sure it will maintain my interest.

I am not disagreeing with you. Intent has to be taken into account.
Just saying that with the rules as they are it was a straight red

Evo1883

Is that over the ball, unless I'm missing a frame as I can't slow it down anymore Screenshot_20210620-223123_YouTube.jpg

Evo1883

Ultimately its wales so fuck who cares really , it just felt a bit soft and the player , who got up and carried on fine as soon as the red was given , made a massive meal out of it

David O'Day

This is the bit I don't get. The tackle was nothing at all like anything that happened to Sterling.

One is accidentally bringing your foot down on someones toe and the is other is diving in out of control and connecting studs first into a players leg.

Red card all day

COV

Is that over the ball, unless I'm missing a frame as I can't slow it down anymore View attachment 20508

yes but once again you miss the point completely. The ball could be anywhere, it is irrelevant. The rule is ‘endangering an opponent’, and if the ref thinks that’s the case then he is obliged to give a red card.

where it’s a mockery is where the German guy booted the Portugal player full in the face but because it wasn’t deliberate he didn’t get a card at all.

not saying it’s right, but it is what it is.

Evo1883

yes but once again you miss the point completely. The ball could be anywhere, it is irrelevant. The rule is ‘endangering an opponent’, and if the ref thinks that’s the case then he is obliged to give a red card.

where it’s a mockery is where the German guy booted the Portugal player full in the face but because it wasn’t deliberate he didn’t get a card at all.

not saying it’s right, but it is what it is.

OK fair enough, the rules are shite then

oscillatewildly

Nope. Because there is no difference. There was no intent in either yet the contacts were the same. So why two entirely different outcomes?

Users who are viewing this thread