England World Cup Qualifying Thread (3 Viewers)

Evo1883

I’ve just turned 23, so I’d say my first real season of watching would have been around 2006/07

I'd say that was the end of the best era of football ever around that time

Last edited:

Evo1883

Always nice to see a debut goal ...Still think Bamford should have been given a shot for this too

Evo1883

Reality is 5-0 isn't that bad for San marino

We've beat better sides by similar scorelines

mark82

Why wasn't Bamford in the squad ? Ideal game for him and it's only San Marino ?

Because Southgate has worked with Bamford before but not Watkins. Given the opposition guess he just wanted to have a look. Not much between Bamford & Watkins for that 3rd spot (plus the likes of Ings, Wilson). Not that any of them would likely play much of a part in the Euro's.

mark82

Reality is 5-0 isn't that bad for San marino

We've beat better sides by similar scorelines

Could have been at least double that but for some poor finishing and some good saves. Lots of positives tonight like blooding Bellingham.

CJ_covblaze

Difficult to take anything from that when it comes to performance level. Pleasing to see goals from all 4 scorers though. Tougher game on Sunday if it goes ahead. Hoping it doesn’t and it gets moved to later in the year.

mark82

People know my feelings about world class today as opposed to world class 15 years ago .. this kind of proves that .
Neither to me are world class

Football ain't the same

Foden will be but he's not yet. So technically gifted. Only got one genuinely world class player (Kane) and one borderline (Sterling). Lots of potential though. Other than Rice and Henderson, central midfielders are in short supply and central defenders. We also lack a top class keeper like we've had in the past.

mark82

Difficult to take anything from that when it comes to performance level. Pleasing to see goals from all 4 scorers though. Tougher game on Sunday if it goes ahead. Hoping it doesn’t and it gets moved to later in the year.

You say that but Albania scraped a 1-0 win against Andorra. Should be a formality really. Poland will be tough though.

Mcbean

Mmm Bellingham was pretty impressive- not my memory from our two cup games where he was in a sky blue pocket

CanadianCCFC

No one asked but for the first time in my life I think Canada could actually qualify for a World Cup. Watch out for the mighty reds 🍁

Sbarcher

No one asked but for the first time in my life I think Canada could actually qualify for a World Cup. Watch out for the mighty reds 🍁
Think your lot should be called the Syrups.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I’ve just turned 23, so I’d say my first real season of watching would have been around 2006/07

from what I’ve seen Ronaldo had similar problems with attitude and fitness like Ronaldinho, guess it’s a common theme with South American’s.
I always thought of it wasn’t for injuries Ronaldo would be talked about in the same bracket as Messi and C.Ronaldo. The guy is one of my all time favourite players

Ronaldinho was a magician but IMO was nowhere near the levels Ronaldo was at.

Evo1883

Ireland just about to lose at home to Luxembourg
giphy.gif

CJ_covblaze

Ireland just about to lose at home to Luxembourg
giphy.gif

To be fair to Ireland, Luxembourg are a quality outfit. The managed a narrow 1-0 loss to Qatar the other day. The truth is that Ireland‘s team is awful. When we beat them a few months ago they didn’t look any better than the San Marino side we played on Thursday. Mick McCarthy had them playing well above their level with them getting to the Play Offs.

Ccfcisparks

To be fair to Ireland, Luxembourg are a quality outfit. The managed a narrow 1-0 loss to Qatar the other day. The truth is that Ireland‘s team is awful. When we beat them a few months ago they didn’t look any better than the San Marino side we played on Thursday. Mick McCarthy had them playing well above their level with them getting to the Play Offs.
That Ireland team would struggle to do well in the championship.

D

Deleted member 11652

With the squad available, that’s about the team I’d have picked

Evo1883

Ah yes back to 2 holding midfielders once we play a team whose players have feet ..Good old Gareth

Evo1883

We will/ should win but we are playing just 4 attack minded players against Albania .
Against good sides he will play 7 defensive players

David O'Day

We will/ should win but we are playing just 4 attack minded players against Albania .
Against good sides he will play 7 defensive players

Wait till the Euros when he busts out the classic back 5 and 2 holding midfielders flex

Users who are viewing this thread