EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (2 Viewers)

Grendel

reminds me a bit of when people accused Villa of “relegating us”- actually no, it was the previous 37 games that did that... similarly this guy is saying that PPG would rob them of promotion- actually no, it was the previous 35 games that did that

We were relegated even if we’d beaten them weren’t we?

Grendel

So no one said the villa sent us down. Well I never

tisza

There's going to be all sorts of protests and appeals.
Posh owner on about it and to be honest he has a case but at the end of the day we're 7 clear of 3rd, game in hands and only lost 3 times all season. If you don't complete or void then we have to go up.
he'll need good luck trying to get a legal case through in the 12 or so weeks before next season starts.

RegTheDonk

No, I mean arguably our lowest point ever. Even in the 30s when we hit the bottom division we were pulling in 15-20,000 and never averaged under 10k- for some games we had 40k, plus we owned our own ground and had no history of top division football so it was more 'normal'. The only other season we were in the bottom division was 58/59 when we got 17k per game, and again we owned our own ground. That was generally felt to be our 'lowest ebb', however in 2017 we were down to crowds well under 10k, did not own a ground, the ongoing SISU stuff was happening, we went through god knows how many players, we'd bounced from Northampton to the Ricoh only for that to get sold to Wasps- and we were in a time when the financial disparity between divisions was higher than ever, it was as if the club lurched from one catastrophe to the next, and we never knew if the club would continue to exist, let alone climb back up the divisions.

There are only really two competitors for our lowest ever point since we joined the professional league- the 30s and that one season in the 1950s- but in both other occasions we had a ground, good support, and we did not have constant threats to our very existence, so I would say that when we hit rock bottom in 2017 that was the absolute lowest. It was only really Robins coming back and a day out at Wembley which gave any hope at all. There is no hard & fast answer, just opinion, but taking everything into account for me, 2017 was the lowest ever in terms of league, support, morale, stadium and the very future of the club.
You're talking about the 30s and 50s. You can't do that with the off the field stuff because there is literally no comparison. Gates wise, who knows how many would have turned up if we were playing in Northampton ... and there has been more choice in entertainment and social mobility over the last seven decades, so again comparisons are awkward. I wasn't born 70 years ago, so have no match day experience of those times. However, the last few seasons have been almost bi-polar with ups and downs, and I've personally enjoyed them more than the endless rut of trying to avoid relegation, season after season.

If you're talking on the pitch, getting relegated in 2017 was a downer yes, but it was the same year we took our biggest ever crowd to Wembly. We won a cup, not an important one perhaps, but it's the only piece of silverware my kids have seen us lift. We bounced back the following year with an entertaining but nail biting season, and another Wembly appearance.

So yeah I get currently we are in libo off the pitch with shit owners ... but team spirit and potential wise, we're proably more on the up since we "got off the treadmill".

SlowerThanPlatt

Anyone else get excited that next seasons championship may be more open as better clubs may have finabcial problems too?

1 magical season away from prem!

I actually think the opposite that we’d be better off going up in normal circumstances. The teams in the Championship will already have a squad full of proven Championship level players whereas we have very few and what limited transfer budget we would have had to improve the squad has now been reduced. We will be taking gambles on players already in the squad

Sick Boy

I actually think the opposite that we’d be better off going up in normal circumstances. The teams in the Championship will already have a squad full of proven Championship level players whereas we have very few and what limited transfer budget we would have had to improve the squad has now been reduced. We will be taking gambles on players already in the squad
Staying in League 1 would be a disaster for us as a club.

SlowerThanPlatt

Staying in League 1 would be a disaster for us as a club.

I agree, my point is that I don’t think going up in these circumstances gives us more of a chance than going up in normal season. The general consensus was that we needed 6 or 7 new players to stay up and I don’t see how that gets financed now

Sick Boy

I agree, my point is that I don’t think going up in these circumstances gives us more of a chance than going up in normal season. The general consensus was that we needed 6 or 7 new players to stay up and I don’t see how that gets financed now
I agree with you, I think we’d effectively need to yo yo for a few years to become established there again, it’s a much more lucrative league compared to what it was nearly 10 years ago.

wingy

The situation might be a leveller as the other members of the league may be hitting the buffers financially ?

Grendel

Hope this happens. Wonder what the posh chairman would bitch about if they don’t win playoffs

he’s literally the son of Barry Fry that bloke

chiefdave

he'll need good luck trying to get a legal case through in the 12 or so weeks before next season starts.
That's of course assuming that next season is actually starting on time. The other issue would be if multiple teams decide to take legal action. The EFL can try and force one club to drop action by threatening to kick them out the league but what if 5 or 10 or more clubs decide to go for it, are they going to kick everyone out?

pipkin73

I heard part of the interview and what he said was that the closing of the season was bull AS all clubs (with the order of EFL) were doing a conference call on Monday to discuss how they start training again. If the season had already been agreed to be scrapped then why arrange a meeting to agree on how to start training again? He said he knew of 1 club (who it suited) that had started this rumour in order to try and let it gain momentum and try to make it happen.

pipkin73

That's of course assuming that next season is actually starting on time. The other issue would be if multiple teams decide to take legal action. The EFL can try and force one club to drop action by threatening to kick them out the league but what if 5 or 10 or more clubs decide to go for it, are they going to kick everyone out?
The posh chairman said we have no way of knowing when next season will start and under what conditions so it could be BCD so better of finishing this season BCD and then deal with next season then.

Liquid Gold

Aren’t Championship clubs considering joint administration? If they pull that one off we could start the season 10 clear at the top.

pipkin73

He also used Tranmere as a point of view saying they have won promotion twice with late runs and before the season postponed they had just won 3 on the trot away from home so were on a run that would have kept them up.

lord_garrincha

End the season... promote the autos, but could teams 3 to 6 play a one off semi final and a final within, say, 4 days. At one venue that is 'bio-secure', which really means less risky.

Could have 2 L2 p/o games one day, L1 next, Champ after then the finals day after day after day... I'm sure Sky would contribute to get footy on, and then the likes of MacAnthony have a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread