EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (11 Viewers)

Otis

Is the guy in the glasses, with his hands in his pockets, Coventrian?

Happy_Martian

I'm getting too philosophical about that. The pain we've suffered on the way to the top ? The impending drop into the chasm with the next step ? Everyone taking the success for granted without noting the pain we've suffered ? Who knows ? As long as Max doesn't go full Cantona, we should be happy he's communicating with the fans ;)

chiefdave

Just seen on Twitter a comment that any proposed legals won't hold water due to "Force Majeure" or "Act of God". Any legally minded folks care to pass comment on this ? Are the threats of action just hot air ?
Wouldn't that be more related to contracts and insurance than competition rules? In any case it would likey need epidemic or pandemic to be specifically mentioned.

Will be tricky to argue it as an unforeseen event given its been at the top of the National Risk Register for years as something that is more than likely going to occur.

Mcbean

He’s looking for support from others in L2 and of course the other L1 clubs at the bottom and in theory the bottom three of the Championship

Grendel

That doesn’t make what he’s calling for ‘fair.

Everyone will vote on self interest - we’d want the season voided in the relegation season - imagine if this was the season we were relegated from the premiership

Brylowes

Everyone will vote on self interest - we’d want the season voided in the relegation season - imagine if this was the season we were relegated from the premiership
I like to think I wouldn’t, in fact I’m very confident I wouldn’t.

Grendel

BornSlippySkyBlue

Can’t remember which one, but one of the premier league chairmen (I think) was basically admitting that of course they will all make decisions based purely on self-interest as they always do. Sometimes those interests align and you get broad agreement, but only because it suits the majority.

All clubs (businesses) will act in self-interest, what else would they do? There is no way that we, for example, would possibly vote for anything that saw us missing out, whether it was ‘fair’ or not. We have to hope that any solution that requires voting on includes us winning the league, getting promoted — and crucially satisfying enough other clubs to make it something a majority will vote for.

Grendel

Can’t remember which one, but one of the premier league chairmen (I think) was basically admitting that of course they will all make decisions based purely on self-interest as they always do. Sometimes those interests align and you get broad agreement, but only because it suits the majority.

All clubs (businesses) will act in self-interest, what else would they do? There is no way that we, for example, would possibly vote for anything that saw us missing out, whether it was ‘fair’ or not. We have to hope that any solution that requires voting on includes us winning the league, getting promoted — and crucially satisfying enough other clubs to make it something a majority will vote for.

Brighton’s chairman

ccfcricoh

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere but do we have any idea when the EFL may make a decision, is there a meeting were waiting for or do we just not know... the tension is becoming unbearable!

clint van damme

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere but do we have any idea when the EFL may make a decision, is there a meeting were waiting for or do we just not know... the tension is becoming unbearable!

I think there's a meeting this week. Not sure what day or whether they'll give a definitive answer on how the season ends but hopefully we'll have a clearer picture

tisza

what is the procedure?
Do EFL board have final say?
Do a certain % of clubs have to support a proposal (like the PL 70%)?
Can't see any proposal for ending the leagues getting 70% atm.

Otis

Same. I we were 16 points adrift, I would think it only right and proper we were relegated. I think I would only be peeved if we were the likes of say, 5 or 6 points adrift with a game in hand.

shepardo01

Something EFL related going on tomorrow and then Thursday apparently...
Not sure exactly what and with whom.

cc84cov

Sky reporting pro sport could return behind closed doors from june 1st

do we think the leagues could still be finished ?

CCFC88

do we think the leagues could still be finished ?[/QUOTE]
No pro sport to be played before 1st June, nothing new here. Prem rumoured to be 12th June. L1 & L2 wont be finished, likely confirmation this week.

chiefdave

No pro sport to be played before 1st June, nothing new here. Prem rumoured to be 12th June. L1 & L2 wont be finished, likely confirmation this week.
25th May is the key date. UEFA have said domestic leagues have to have their plans in place by then. Either to continue or how they are going to terminate the season.

EFL have said season can run to the end of July with current contracts (not sure how when they expire 30th June). Have also said 56 days are needed to complete the leagues. That would put the first games, at the latest, Friday 5th June. Was rumoured players were back in for training on 25th May, although that was a while ago and things are changing daily, that would give a 2 week 'pre-season'.

Date wise I think it all just about works but of course it needs the clubs to agree and for it to be financially viable. That makes it a lot more unlikely.

CCFC88

I believe those out of contract get a month's severance pay so they are effectively paid until the end of July
They are not effectively paid until the end of July. Contracts end when severance is paid on 30/6, player would have no obligation to turn up for anything from 1st July onwards.

Would effectively be playing for free unless contracts were extended until July 31st and Severance would then be another months pay paid on 31st July.

Not sure how a player would be covered for Doctors/sickness/insurance etc. and also don't think they would be able to play for a club if their contract ends on 30/6, surely a player without a contract cant still be registered to a club.

This is one issue a lot of clubs are facing, they'd have to pay another months wage to any players they want to use in the remaining games with 0 income to offset this cost against, if you were Accrington, Shrewsbury, Crawley etc you'd be crazy to do that.

The Philosopher

They are not effectively paid until the end of July. Contracts end when severance is paid on 30/6, player would have no obligation to turn up for anything from 1st July onwards.

Would effectively be playing for free unless contracts were extended until July 31st and Severance would then be another months pay paid on 31st July.

Not sure how a player would be covered for Doctors/sickness/insurance etc. and also don't think they would be able to play for a club if their contract ends on 30/6, surely a player without a contract cant still be registered to a club.

This is one issue a lot of clubs are facing, they'd have to pay another months wage to any players they want to use in the remaining games with 0 income to offset this cost against, if you were Accrington, Shrewsbury, Crawley etc you'd be crazy to do that.

It could throw up some issues if any players have expiring contracts and have signed pre-contracts to rival / same division clubs.

Then there are issues with loans expiring.

It’s a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread