EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (3 Viewers)

SkyBlue Snowflake

Let’s be honest for a minute anyone with any respectable wealth wouldn’t sign up to an internet forum to tell strangers how great they are. I think you are living in a make believe fantasy and it’s not your first account on here
Yes well thanks for your rather boring input in which I only just managed to stay awake reading, but this is my only account on here unlike you I have a rather busy life, but like I said thanks for your input....

steve cooper

Fucking hell imagine if was based on the halfway point of the season, there can’t be much chance of that, surely??
I really can't see how they could do that, for example Fleetwood played Portsmouth twice in the league in the second half of the season. On 10th March (game 35 for both teams) and previous to that, on 22nd Feb (game 31). Not all teams play everyone once in half a season, so that would defeat the whole object. The fairest way is an average PPG based on home and away results as being suggested.

SkyBlueSam01

Hi all - long time reader, first time poster etc.

I just wanted to sign up firstly, to express a great big hearty 'fuck off' to @SkyBlue Snowflake

And secondly, to put to bed any of this nonsense about not celebrating promotion back to the Championship. As a 24yo Sky Blue this will be our greatest footballing achievement in my lifetime, and if we don't celebrate it suitably can someone please explain to me what I have been wasting the last two and a half decades watching the likes of Reece Brown and Nathan Clarke for?

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

I just wanted to sign up firstly, to express a great big hearty 'fuck off' to @SkyBlue Snowflake

And secondly, to put to bed any of this nonsense about not celebrating promotion back to the Championship. As a 24yo Sky Blue this will be our greatest footballing achievement of my lifetime, and if we don't celebrate it suitably can someone please explain to me what I have been wasting the last two and a half decades watching the likes of Reece Brown and Nathan Clarke for?
Is it hard to type with big elephant hands?

RegTheDonk

The funniest comment from the sunderland forum. You can probably guess what some of the others think

I mean I'm no authority on this, but I'll just throw something out there - maybe they should consider voting to promote clubs with the largest fanbases and by definition keep more people happy? It would be for the greater good.
I did chuckle at that one, and a few others.

To be fair, most on are there are being level headed and saying they don't deserve promotion and us and Rotherham should go up.

RegTheDonk

I have heard that ppg is likely to be the way it's decided
We will be one of the few clubs in L1 and 2 who don't have to worry quite so much about financial implications as promotion to the Championship will make it much easier to get any funding needed to get through till fans are allowed again
Interesting developments in the Premier League where apparently the FA have the power to insist on 3 being relegated and they have agreed with the PL to do so if the relegation threatened clubs try to torpedo the plans for games to be played at neutral grounds
Those relegated from the PL shouldn't sniff too much, they'll have a parachute bounty - while everyone esle in the Champ would most likely have to make do as best they can with no crowds till maybe next year. In some ways, if we aren't back in Cov, it would level the playing field a bit for us and give us a better chance of staying up.

clint van damme

Going to expect the worst before getting excited ;)

There's going to be all sorts of protests and appeals.
Posh owner on about it and to be honest he has a case but at the end of the day we're 7 clear of 3rd, game in hands and only lost 3 times all season. If you don't complete or void then we have to go up.

Ring Of Steel

He probably means recently - sinking to the bottom division and playing outside of Cov. In all honesty, it's the lowest point I've witnessed in my lifetime.

No, I mean arguably our lowest point ever. Even in the 30s when we hit the bottom division we were pulling in 15-20,000 and never averaged under 10k- for some games we had 40k, plus we owned our own ground and had no history of top division football so it was more 'normal'. The only other season we were in the bottom division was 58/59 when we got 17k per game, and again we owned our own ground. That was generally felt to be our 'lowest ebb', however in 2017 we were down to crowds well under 10k, did not own a ground, the ongoing SISU stuff was happening, we went through god knows how many players, we'd bounced from Northampton to the Ricoh only for that to get sold to Wasps- and we were in a time when the financial disparity between divisions was higher than ever, it was as if the club lurched from one catastrophe to the next, and we never knew if the club would continue to exist, let alone climb back up the divisions.

There are only really two competitors for our lowest ever point since we joined the professional league- the 30s and that one season in the 1950s- but in both other occasions we had a ground, good support, and we did not have constant threats to our very existence, so I would say that when we hit rock bottom in 2017 that was the absolute lowest. It was only really Robins coming back and a day out at Wembley which gave any hope at all. There is no hard & fast answer, just opinion, but taking everything into account for me, 2017 was the lowest ever in terms of league, support, morale, stadium and the very future of the club.

SkyBlue Snowflake

And secondly, to put to bed any of this nonsense about not celebrating promotion back to the Championship. As a 24yo Sky Blue this will be our greatest footballing achievement in my lifetime, and if we don't celebrate it suitably can someone please explain to me what I have been wasting the last two and a half decades watching the likes of Reece Brown and Nathan Clarke for?
Oh dear I've made a strange and a odd one sign up, my sincere apologies to everyone

robbiekeane

The point is just bollocks. Its been negativity all the way through, slating players, calling Robins a twat etc- now we should apparently not celebrate promotion because of something which may or may not happen and because we are afraid of the Championship.
Sorry, who said that last bit?

And who has been slating players and calling robins a twat "all the way through". Jesus christ mate, you're obviously an intelligent guy/girl but this kind of mindset really fucks me off. When good things happen, you're happier about the opportunity to try and point score with people who don't filter their emotions on a match thread than you are about the actual good news! Baffling

Flying Fokker

No, I mean arguably our lowest point ever. Even in the 30s when we hit the bottom division we were pulling in 15-20,000 and never averaged under 10k- for some games we had 40k, plus we owned our own ground and had no history of top division football so it was more 'normal'. The only other season we were in the bottom division was 58/59 when we got 17k per game, and again we owned our own ground. That was generally felt to be our 'lowest ebb', however in 2017 we were down to crowds well under 10k, did not own a ground, the ongoing SISU stuff was happening, we went through god knows how many players, we'd bounced from Northampton to the Ricoh only for that to get sold to Wasps- and we were in a time when the financial disparity between divisions was higher than ever, it was as if the club lurched from one catastrophe to the next, and we never knew if the club would continue to exist, let alone climb back up the divisions.

There are only really two competitors for our lowest ever point since we joined the professional league- the 30s and that one season in the 1950s- but in both other occasions we had a ground, good support, and we did not have constant threats to our very existence, so I would say that when we hit rock bottom in 2017 that was the absolute lowest. It was only really Robins coming back and a day out at Wembley which gave any hope at all. There is no hard & fast answer, just opinion, but taking everything into account for me, 2017 was the lowest ever in terms of league, support, morale, stadium and the very future of the club.
Agreed, just one small point. The early 80’s saw some pretty shit crowds at Hr. Some below 10k. That was all due the recession. The low crowds recently are entirely due to the ridiculous situation we find ourselves in while the vast majority of clubs fan base remains stable.

Ring Of Steel

Agreed, just one small point. The early 80’s saw some pretty shit crowds at Hr. Some below 10k. That was all due the recession. The low crowds recently are entirely due to the ridiculous situation we find ourselves in while the vast majority of clubs fan base remains stable.

but we were in the top division in the 1980s? I don’t just mean levels of support, I mean the whole state of the club

edit- didn’t read your post properly, sorry, yes you’re right.

chiefdave

Posh owner on about it and to be honest he has a case but at the end of the day we're 7 clear of 3rd, game in hands and only lost 3 times all season. If you don't complete or void then we have to go up.
Posh owner is arguing against PPG isn't he as that has them finishing 5th (they're currently 6th). Past actually playing the games what alternative system is he proposing that has them going up, which seems to be the only thing that will satisfy him, and what makes him thinks the teams that miss out when they get leapfrogged by Posh are just going to accept it?

Grendel

Posh owner is arguing against PPG isn't he as that has them finishing 5th (they're currently 6th). Past actually playing the games what alternative system is he proposing that has them going up, which seems to be the only thing that will satisfy him, and what makes him thinks the teams that miss out when they get leapfrogged by Posh are just going to accept it?

He’s a twat

clint van damme

along those lines and like I say, given their form and run in I can see why hes unhappy but you cannot employ an equation that bumps the team top with a 7 point lead and a game in hand, its just not reasonable.

Ring Of Steel

along those lines and like I say, given their form and run in I can see why hes unhappy but you cannot employ an equation that bumps the team top with a 7 point lead and a game in hand, its just not reasonable.

reminds me a bit of when people accused Villa of “relegating us”- actually no, it was the previous 37 games that did that... similarly this guy is saying that PPG would rob them of promotion- actually no, it was the previous 35 games that did that

Users who are viewing this thread