Do you want to discuss boring politics? (26 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yes, it's fine that the Tories think you're scum - that's their natural position, but they know how to run an economy and a country. I expected better of Labour, but I take your point, I should perhaps lower my expectations.

No statistical evidence Tories know how to run an economy any better. it's all just a perception that's not based on actual evidence. For most it's a memory of 50 years ago of a party that is much, much different know.

According to you, can't vote Labour now because they ignore the working man. Couldn't vote for them then because they're economically illiterate. Rock, meet hard place.

So the Tories think you're scum and that's expected of them - fine. So what's the justification for working class poeple to vote for them given that's their ingrained opinion and consistently vote against anything that would be of benefit to them when in government? Unless you think the British working class are stupid, cap-doffing idiots.

If you worked with someone who thought you were a stupid twat and did everything to make your life a misery why would you vote for them as employee of the month?

PVA

I think it's because when the Tories call the working class uneducated proles, they do it in a posh accent.

There seems to be some inherent belief in this country that we should be ruled by a posh toff with a plum in their mouth. That it's just the way it is and the way it should be.

David O'Day

Happy to read the words of some working class people that have become disillusioned with Labour, the party needs to hear more of it.

But these are the ramblings of a Lord no less, whose ability to connect with the working class was demonstrated in the erosion of the Labour vote in his constituency, before jumping out when he knew he was destined to lose. The guy is a prick.

Why debate with that crackpot

PVA

Bloody hell. Another one to go with the bloke yesterday who says he's had enough of Labour because there were no foodbanks under them, but 9 under the tories. This guy blames Labour for no hospitals being built.

What fucking chance do Labour, or anyone, have when people have views like this

skybluetony176

Bloody hell. Another one to go with the bloke yesterday who says he's had enough of Labour because there were no foodbanks under them, but 9 under the tories. This guy blames Labour for no hospitals being built.

This is of the back of a Facebook smear campaign against the Labour candidate. Long story short the Labour candidate was part of the local healthcare management that had to decide what services were cut under austerity forced upon them by the Conservatives. In this post truth world Facebook adds were saying that the Labour candidate cut services not services cut after funding cut by the Conservative government. In this post truth world it gained traction, people heard what they wanted to hear and voted Tory. Not sure it changed the overall outcome though.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes, it's fine that the Tories think you're scum - that's their natural position, but they know how to run an economy and a country. I expected better of Labour, but I take your point, I should perhaps lower my expectations.

Hang on a minute I thought it was because the Tories 'seem to like the working man' and not actually to do with anything substantive?

David O'Day

This is of the back of a Facebook smear campaign against the Labour candidate. Long story short the Labour candidate was part of the local healthcare management that had to decide what services were cut under austerity forced upon them by the Conservatives. In this post truth world Facebook adds were saying that the Labour candidate cut services not services cut after funding cut by the Conservative government. In this post truth world it gained traction, people heard what they wanted to hear and voted Tory. Not sure it changed the overall outcome though.

He wasn't even true as he is GP

Evo1883

There is stupid everywhere Screenshot_20210509-171337_Chrome.jpg

D

Deleted member 4439

There is stupid everywhere View attachment 20027

Yes, and from listening to radio 4 just now, apparently KS is a white privileged man dumping on the female and northern fraternity, rather than perhaps being concerned that Angela Raynor's brand of aggressive sniping and negativity might have put a few off. I'm afraid any change in the Labour party is going to be a long time coming.

Ian1779

Nothing from the interviewer to challenge this. Challenging this rubbish is not being disrespectful, or condescending - it’s just pointing out facts.

Reactions: PVA

Mucca Mad Boys

How much value do any of those 'brands' have anymore? Is there a discussion to be had to merging all three under a new name to try and lose some of the baggage.

Very drastic but I can't see any sign of a Labour resurgence anytime soon and the Lub Dem and Greens are firmly on the sidelines.

The parties couldn’t agree to a ‘progressive alliance’ which would rally behind the party best poised to topple the Tory MP in a given constituency.

It was astounding that the Lib Dems and Labour couldn’t agree to stand aside in marginals. You had a Lib Dem candidate in Kensington saying vote LD to stop Brexit and the Tories... it was (then) a Labour seat and the split between the parties allowed the Tories to win.

Really bad politics all around.

Evo1883

Yes, and from listening to radio 4 just now, apparently KS is a white privileged man dumping on the female and northern fraternity, rather than perhaps being concerned that Angela Raynor's brand of aggressive sniping and negativity might have put a few off. I'm afraid any change in the Labour party is going to be a long time coming.

Going to take a few more decimations in elections to get the point home to many of these people , I fear

Ian1779

Going to take a few more decimations in elections to get the point home to many of these people , I fear
Was it a a Labour MP/activist making that comment - or is that just your assumption. Could quite have easily been a Tory making that statement.

David O'Day

Was it a a Labour MP/activist making that comment - or is that just your assumption. Could quite have easily been a Tory making that statement.

It's a common line today on twitter but mostly from people who call KS Keith and have never actually been in the party.

Evo1883

I doubt it but would never say never .

Identity politics are normally a left wing obsession

It’sabatch87

Labour are thick,Why didn’t they put a pro brexit candidate in Hartlepool?
Pretty thick really, just shows how far apart they are from the working man and us baby boomers who’ve realised they are controlled still by momentum and their idealistic crap.
Get in a room and sort it out get rid of the left that’s the only way you’ll ever get in power.
Bite the bullet and be more centrist otherwise it’s oblivion I’m afraid with all the in fighting.

D

Deleted member 4439

A labour activist, and I didn't get her name, but it was on the news so presumably a prominent member.

PVA

There is stupid everywhere View attachment 20027

There is.

The Hartlepool bloke gave a completely stupid opinion about parties and policies that influenced how he voted

I can't call him thick though because I don't have a plummy accent.

Must start working on that so I can call him thick and get applauded. Get my boots licked clean while I'm at it.

And if I call him thick then it's directly my fault that he voted Tory, despite having never met him.

Skybluefaz

Pretty thick really, just shows how far apart they are from the working man and us baby boomers who’ve realised they are controlled still by momentum and their idealistic crap.
Get in a room and sort it out get rid of the left that’s the only way you’ll ever get in power.
Bite the bullet and be more centrist otherwise it’s oblivion I’m afraid with all the in fighting.
Probably thinking that Brexit is done so leave/remain status of an individual should not matter. Which it shouldn't now. The error is probably not making that clear enough from a Labour party perspective. Brexit is done now let's try and move on and make things better.

It’sabatch87

Probably thinking that Brexit is done so leave/remain status of an individual should not matter. Which it shouldn't now. The error is probably not making that clear enough from a Labour party perspective. Brexit is done now let's try and move on and make things better.
Like I said get all in a room and sort it out,Politics needs a strong opposition that is together and is singing from the same hymn sheet.

Brighton Sky Blue

What does be more centrist mean?

It’sabatch87

More towards the middle,Less left wing?
How far Labour have fallen if the working class reject them for tories.
Chirpy chirpy cheap cheap/Middle of the road a bit of both.
If Labour don’t change they’ll always be a protest party in opposition.

Brighton Sky Blue

More towards the middle,Less left wing?
How far Labour have fallen if the working class reject them for tories.
Chirpy chirpy cheap cheap/Middle of the road a bit of both.
If Labour don’t change they’ll always be a protest party in opposition.

I know but what does that mean in practice?

Users who are viewing this thread