Crowd trouble (5 Viewers)

Covkid1968#

Was in the PSG end at the game last night. 1 row of seats separating the fans… zero trouble and oddly zero banter. The atmosphere was wank for large chunks of the game… the Citeh fans have some shite chants. Only the ones from when they were the old Man City (blue moon etc) did it feel like a proper football crowd. The top flight teams feels really corporate… not sure I like it. So give me singers corner all day long ( well sitting over the other side from it because I’m an old git now)

pusbccfc

Why don’t they keep the away fans in the ground for 10–15 mins after the game? They used to do this at Highfield Road and seem to work well?

Would you want to be stuck in an away ground 15 minutes after the game on a Tuesday?

Very, very few other clubs do this.

chiefdave

Would you want to be stuck in an away ground 15 minutes after the game on a Tuesday?

Very, very few other clubs do this.
Very very few other clubs put fences up in the car park, have ridiculously over the top searches & ticket checks or direct fans to meet up seemingly happy for trouble to take place as long as its off the footprint of the arena.

I'd be more than happy to see matchday at the CBS operate in a similar way to other grounds rather than the ridiculous things we have to put up with.

Last edited:

Ash

Would be really interesting to see them put home and away fans right next to each other, with a row of police/stewards separating. This happens at so many grounds around the country with little incident.

For me, I actually think the massive segregation areas create more problems than it solves. You give the knuckle draggers on both sides more confidence when they’re further away and then they can build up momentum when they feel brave enough to make it over no man’s land, as you saw with the lad at the Derby match. No way is that situation happening if they’re squeezed together with police in the way!

cc84cov

Would be really interesting to see them put home and away fans right next to each other, with a row of police/stewards separating. This happens at so many grounds around the country with little incident.

For me, I actually think the massive segregation areas create more problems than it solves. You give the knuckle draggers on both sides more confidence when they’re further away and then they can build up momentum when they feel brave enough to make it over no man’s land, as you saw with the lad at the Derby match. No way is that situation happening if they’re squeezed together with police in the way!
Man City do this it’s 1 stair case separation fans nearly touching each other...I think you could have a point the big separation,fans don’t really wanna get to each other 🤣

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

The stewarding as a whole was awful on Tuesday. I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere but haven't looked all that much, but we got to our seats (ST holders) about 10 minutes before kick off and there was about 10 15 year old lads across our 6 seats. They moved to the row in front. When the people whose seats they were turned up, they had to move again. Everyone was getting pissed off by it. We have the aisle seats and there was about five people in the aisle to a row. Going down the stairs between block 17 and 18 was a no go, so when someone went for a slash they had to cut across our whole block and go down the 18/19 stairwell. Was an accident waiting to happen having that many people stood on the staircase.

Tommo1993

The stewarding as a whole was awful on Tuesday. I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere but haven't looked all that much, but we got to our seats (ST holders) about 10 minutes before kick off and there was about 10 15 year old lads across our 6 seats. They moved to the row in front. When the people whose seats they were turned up, they had to move again. Everyone was getting pissed off by it. We have the aisle seats and there was about five people in the aisle to a row. Going down the stairs between block 17 and 18 was a no go, so when someone went for a slash they had to cut across our whole block and go down the 18/19 stairwell. Was an accident waiting to happen having that many people stood on the staircase.

Agree. It was a mess on the night. It gets progressively worse and I’m beginning to sort of dislike these bigger crowds in a way. There’s always a gathering at the top of the stairs in 16, it gets lower and lower each game. Stewards just ended up staring at it.

Sky Blue Harry H

Agree. It was a mess on the night. It gets progressively worse and I’m beginning to sort of dislike these bigger crowds in a way. There’s always a gathering at the top of the stairs in 16, it gets lower and lower each game. Stewards just ended up staring at it.

It's one of the better arguments for having standing areas, as it's obvious that all the 'youth' want to be together in the singing area; however, as they have only been able to buy tickets elsewhere, the above happens. With standing, people can gravitate to the area they want to.

Last edited:

slowpoke

The trouble that could have been averted inside the ground v Derby has caused massive over reaction. The police on duty Tuesday were riot squad from WMP. Yes policing for local derbies is always stronger but come on.
Also the large gap between supporters invites situations and if we ever get to the prem 4/5k away support will be the norm. Our lot are as much to blame not just kids either plenty of baldies and grey headed irks giving it loads. Opposing fans are certain to reteliate.

Tommo1993

I’m guessing it kicked off on the ramp near the shop, sounded like it did. It also kicked off outside the 16/17 turnstiles as we were trying to get in.

chiefdave

It's one of the better arguments for having standing areas, as it's obvious that all the 'youth' want to be together in the singing area; however, as they have only been able to buy tickets elsewhere, the above happens. With standing, people can gravitate to the area they want to.
Would the obvious solution not be for them to buy tickets in blocks 14 & 15? Looking now for the West Brom and Stoke games and there's more tickets available in those blocks than pretty much anywhere else in the East Stand.

pusbccfc

This is exactly why netting off Block 13 is stupid. They've spent money on a Jimmy Hill net which will clearly be there for the rest of the season.

'Singers corner' has become too small for the amount of fans wanting to sit there. Those additional 500 seats acted as a spill over and stopped the overcrowding.

Doesn't help that people were kicking off the other week with fans trying to sing in the Telegraph stand. Maybe these fans so desperate to stand in the corner would be happy there if it wasn't frowned upon.

pusbccfc

Would the obvious solution not be for them to buy tickets in blocks 14 & 15? Looking now for the West Brom and Stoke games and there's more tickets available in those blocks than pretty much anywhere else in the East Stand.

The demand on the day to stand in the corner is far greater than the capacity now.

MalcSB

Do most clubs have a home end and an away end? I can understand why singers corner became a thing when attendance was so much smaller that the North Stand was closed, but is it still the right approach?

pusbccfc

Do most clubs have a home end and an away end? I can understand why singers corner became a thing when attendance was so much smaller that the North Stand was closed, but is it still the right approach?

Yep. Being by the away fans is what drives atmosphere in modern stadia.

Look at Derby, Middlesbrough, Southampton, Swansea and Leicester. All have their noisy areas by away fans. Even Stoke, who historically had their most vocal behind the goal, have no moved next to the away fans since they filled the corner in.

jimmyhillsfanclub

15 minutes is nothing most home fans have gone by then and any home hanging around for a bit of agg would soon be identified, away fans too.

I always felt more of a target after being locked in as an away fan......I was at Maine Road when we were locked in for about 30 mins after the game & when we were finally let out, me & my mate spent about half an hour getting ambushed & chased around Moss Side whilst trying to find where the fuck we'd parked my old Nissan Bluebird...

Sky Blue Harry H

Agreed - but no idea who these people are that mass on the stairwells. Some may have STs (with parents?) at other parts of the ground? Annoying for proper seat holders in the vicinity.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Doesn't help that people were kicking off the other week with fans trying to sing in the Telegraph stand. Maybe these fans so desperate to stand in the corner would be happy there if it wasn't frowned upon.
When did this happen? If you are talking about the Derby game I think it was more some dickhead kicking off with people for not singing, then people kicking off with someone for singing.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

We have 8 STs in a row towards the back of Block 17. We haven’t had one League game yet where we haven’t had to kick people out of our seats who just move along or to the row in front and repeat.

Even on Tuesday, we went up to our seats 15 mins before KO and had to kick about 9/10 young lads out. Then just before kick off, some bloke in his 30s came along (making out he was edging along the row to his seat) and then stopped dead infront of one my friends (who isn’t the tallest) and took his coat off and put it on the seat. He was immediately told to do one. Just taking the piss.

I think with all the netting now in place, Block 13 should be opened up as an overflow. It’s great that we have a packed corner making a lot of noise, just people need to start buying tickets in advance rather than thinking I’ll wing it on the night and be able to find 10 free seats in a row in the corner.

martincov

With reference to the segregation between home and away fans. I am sure some one here has been to the Olympiastadion in Berlin? they use a large perspex type fence thing ( clear and see through) which fits into the stairway / gangways. It is at least 6ft high maybe more. Wouldnt think it would be too difficult to have a moveable one to allow for different sized away allocations and a fixed one by the posh seats ( you know where i mean) Initially costly i suppose but it is an actual barrier and not netting and would allow home and away to be very close, maybe a couple of columns / rows of seat for stewards and plods. Just a thought as i am sure if we did ever return to ther premier then attendances would certainly be higher and nearer capacity.

fernandopartridge

With reference to the segregation between home and away fans. I am sure some one here has been to the Olympiastadion in Berlin? they use a large perspex type fence thing ( clear and see through) which fits into the stairway / gangways. It is at least 6ft high maybe more. Wouldnt think it would be too difficult to have a moveable one to allow for different sized away allocations and a fixed one by the posh seats ( you know where i mean) Initially costly i suppose but it is an actual barrier and not netting and would allow home and away to be very close, maybe a couple of columns / rows of seat for stewards and plods. Just a thought as i am sure if we did ever return to ther premier then attendances would certainly be higher and nearer capacity.
Yeah I've been there but was at the other end from the Stuttgart fans so didn't notice

Torquay Sky Blue

That was what it was like in the old West End days. Just a row of coppers down the steps separating the boot boys . A lot of spitting going on in those days but rarely anyone breaking the thin blue line

martincov

Only been once, Germany v Engalnd friendly (2-1 win) must be 12 years ago now. It is a big ground. I think 11k england fans but not sold out for away fans. something close or around 80k. it worked well, both sets of fans banging on it but i dont remember too much security just police and stewards walking up and down now and again. That black netting looks crap and as seen against Derby it stops nothing!
Been on the Sunderland forum mostly for a laugh ( my ex wife was from up there) they allow fans to go in prior to kick off and put / spread flags about. Could the same not be done here? hanging them at the back behind Cov fans. a few rings put in a flag is not hard to do and then some hooks for hanging, couple of minutes for each flag. I do think the closeness to away fans creates a better atmosphere.

martincov

I remember the old days of the west end, split not 50/50 and plods in the gangaway. The only exception Manure getting there when the gates opened and filling it! Been in a few large crowds when they turned up and a few low ones too when they were not doing so well.
i just think you need to make younger and older fans feel safer in the mosh if they want to be there and get the proper atmosphere.

slowpoke

That was what it was like in the old West End days. Just a row of coppers down the steps separating the boot boys . A lot of spitting going on in those days but rarely anyone breaking the thin blue line
There were barriers though and police standing in between, lots of rival chanting and gestulating but you risked being chucked out or duffed up by certain old bill, anyone remember Reg Jenkins ? a brute. I remember talking to a Chelsea fan on holiday and he mentioned dear old Reg not by name but description, as wide as he was high told me he ploughed into him and his mates flattening all of them.
For those who attended magistrates he was the copper in the box for years where the accused stood.

chiefdave

Agreed - but no idea who these people are that mass on the stairwells. Some may have STs (with parents?) at other parts of the ground? Annoying for proper seat holders in the vicinity.
We have 8 STs in a row towards the back of Block 17. We haven’t had one League game yet where we haven’t had to kick people out of our seats who just move along or to the row in front and repeat.
This is the problem, we don't seem to have basic event management in place at the stadium for some reason. Try going to another event and sitting in the wrong seat or standing in the stairwells / walkways - you'd quickly be moved. We don't get the basics right and it all stems from there.

Users who are viewing this thread