Coventry United FC (5 Viewers)

Otis

Fair play I say. People have been on here moaning about Sisu and the current state of affairs. People have been talking about a third club in the city. People have done nothing about it.

Now some people have. They've put their money where there mouth is and gone with it.

And now the forum people are moaning about the colours and the name. Well tough. They've gone balls deep and gone for it and this is what they are offering.

Fair play, hope it's a success. I may well pop along myself.

Well the fact that pretty much everyone to a man thinks the name is wrong should surely hold some credence.

If names don't matter every single business in the UK could just call themselves anything they want.

Fact is, new businesses think long and hard about their business name and make it is a name that stirs up interest. Basically it has to be something you need to get right. Coventry United sounds mundane and boring.

United must be the most common football name in the entire world.

Why not try and be a bit a different and why not go for something with Coventry roots.

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

mark82

Fair play I say. People have been on here moaning about Sisu and the current state of affairs. People have been talking about a third club in the city. People have done nothing about it.

Now some people have. They've put their money where there mouth is and gone with it.

And now the forum people are moaning about the colours and the name. Well tough. They've gone balls deep and gone for it and this is what they are offering.

Fair play, hope it's a success. I may well pop along myself.

Well said. I will give it a go whatever. Just think for their sake and long term success they need to create an affinity with fans. They need something to pull fans in.

PS - More than 3 Coventry clubs. They will be in the same league as Coventry Copsewood (assuming they are mid comb prem). Sphinx in the Alliance. A few in division 1 & 2 of the mid comb too. Think Alvis were promoted to the mid comb prem too (won the league but not sure if they have been promoted).

Hobo

It's up to you guys, you wouldn't be alone at that level locally as other posts have pointed out. If you want a Coventry connection what about the old city nickname Bantams?

mark82

If they are having united in the name how about:- City of Coventry United FC

Or could just be City of Coventry FC

deanocity3

Coventry Amateurs became Coventry Sporting club then in the 80's closed,then reformed within the last 10 years,now called coventry Spartans.
http://www.fchd.info/COVENTRA.HTM amateurs
http://www.fchd.info/COVENSPO.HTM sporting
http://www.fchd.info/COVENSPA.HTM spartans

Coventry Spartans website
http://www.coventryspartansfc.co.uk/

sporting v tranmere
http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-sporting-v-tranmere-rovers-22-november-1975-213852/

sporting v man utd 1983
http://www.footballzone.co.uk/coven...d-19650.html?zenid=9hqgc59cbm4uoiaq4bpp0cf481

Last edited:

mark82

I assume the owners understand ground grading requirements if they want to move up the leagues. Wondered what the future plans were as Westwood sports ground won't suffice for very long.?

Sky Blues

Jase, what was the thinking behind "United"? I suspect a lot of clubs have been called that in the past because they were formed out of the merging of other clubs. But you're not merging clubs here. I'm going to assume it was more than just the lazy choice and ask: Was it because you want a club the city of Coventry can unite behind? In which case, I can see a reason for the name.

Ironically though, it appears the name is a major hindrance to uniting potential fans (well, those on here at least) behind your initiative...

Still, all the best to you. I like fan controlled/influenced clubs.

Sky Blues

I assume the owners understand ground grading requirements if they want to move up the leagues. Wondered what the future plans were as Westwood sports ground won't suffice for very long.?

There's an empty ground to the north of town they could use when they get bigger. I think it's called The Rioch or something... :p

mark82

Jase, what was the thinking behind "United"? I suspect a lot of clubs have been called that in the past because they were formed out of the merging of other clubs. But you're not merging clubs here. I'm going to assume it was more than just the lazy choice and ask: Was it because you want a club the city of Coventry can unite behind? In which case, I can see a reason for the name.

Ironically though, it appears the name is a major hindrance to uniting potential fans (well, those on here at least) behind your initiative...

Still, all the best to you. I like fan controlled/influenced clubs.

I'm not sure about fan controlled. Sounds like 4 businessmen. The fan involvement/ownership has not yet been explained.

mark82

There's an empty ground to the north of town they could use when they get bigger. I think it's called The Rioch or something... :p

Was thinking more between now and then. Ground grading through non league is quite strict as you progress through leagues so they must have a plan to either develop or move to somewhere like the Butts which will be big enough as an interim ground. Doubt they will ever realistically be able to fill the Ricoh.

Some good memories of Cov Sporting - I was at both of the cup ties (v Tranmere & Peterborough) City drew at Anfield the day Sporting beat Tranmere so didn't make headlines in the Pink!

Saudi Arabia drew 0-0 with Sporting in a friendly at Kirby Corner. Jimmy Hill was involved with the Saudi set up and they were managed by Bill McGarry. I also saw Jimmy Greaves playing there in a friendly for Weymouth.

They never managed to attract much of a crowd - only a handful the week after beating Tranmere. I think there were about 4000 at the Tranmere match and 8000 for Peterborough.

Sky Blues

Was thinking more between now and then. Ground grading through non league is quite strict as you progress through leagues so they must have a plan to either develop or move to somewhere like the Butts which will be big enough as an interim ground. Doubt they will ever realistically be able to fill the Ricoh.

Sorry, I hijacked a sensible point you were making for a joke. You're right, they would need the Butts or something similar for the higher non-leagues.

mark82

That's why I added the /influenced. There aren't many sports organisations like Barcelona or the Green Bay Packers.

As a Packers fan would be happy to see them play in green and yellow! May be somewhat unpopular with everyone else though!

3D Jase

The reasoning is actually that, we want to "Unite" Coventry and follow another Coventry team while CCFC sort out the mess. If CCFC play in Coventry then we will support both Coventry teams.

We thought about replicating sky blue but we already love that team, so, after chatting with the FA about names and kit colours we pushed it in a completely different direction.

CCFC supports should REMAIN CCFC supporters, but if you get fed up of the travelling to Walsall for a home game (My hope, CCFC will stay at the Ricoh) and you want to watch another football match there are other passionate options.

We have season tickets and had an executive box for the last 5 years. Sponsored games and players (Marlon King & Cody MacDonald) we also sponsored CCFC management and owners to the London awards, ask Bigi

We are sick of the fighting and want to talk about football again (which we are).

Lets look at CCFC season summary:

16th place
In Administration
Points deducted
Under a transfer embargo
5th Manager of the season
Homeless for next season
Unknown Academy future
Cannot find the Golden Share

We are hoping CCFC move forward, they are a Premiership side with our respect, however supporting another Coventry club isn't betrayal it's uniting Coventry people in defiance.

wingy

Coventry Amateurs became Coventry Sporting club then in the 80's closed,then reformed within the last 10 years,now called coventry Spartans.
http://www.fchd.info/COVENTRA.HTM amateurs
http://www.fchd.info/COVENSPO.HTM sporting
http://www.fchd.info/COVENSPA.HTM spartans

Coventry Spartans website
http://www.coventryspartansfc.co.uk/

sporting v tranmere
http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-sporting-v-tranmere-rovers-22-november-1975-213852/

sporting v man utd 1983
http://www.footballzone.co.uk/coven...d-19650.html?zenid=9hqgc59cbm4uoiaq4bpp0cf481

many thanks Deano!!:claping hands:

Sky Blues

The reasoning is actually that, we want to "Unite" Coventry and follow another Coventry team while CCFC sort out the mess. If CCFC play in Coventry then we will support both Coventry teams.

We thought about replicating sky blue but we already love that team, so, after chatting with the FA about names and kit colours we pushed it in a completely different direction.

CCFC supports should REMAIN CCFC supporters, but if you get fed up of the travelling to Walsall for a home game (My hope, CCFC will stay at the Ricoh) and you want to watch another football match there are other passionate options.

We have season tickets and had an executive box for the last 5 years. Sponsored games and players (Marlon King & Cody MacDonald) we also sponsored CCFC management and owners to the London awards, ask Bigi

We are sick of the fighting and want to talk about football again (which we are).

16th place
In Administration
Points deducted
Under a transfer embargo
Homeless for next season
Unknown Academy future

We are hoping CCFC move forward, they are a Premiership side with our respect, however supporting another Coventry club isn't betrayal it's uniting Coventry people in defiance.

It's good to have the reasoning behind the name. It makes more sense now. What will happen to Coventry United when CCFC returns to Coventry (if it actually leaves) or someone non-Sisu takes over and plays games at the Ricoh?

mark82

It's good to have the reasoning behind the name. It makes more sense now. What will happen to Coventry United when CCFC returns to Coventry (if it actually leaves) or someone non-Sisu takes over and plays games at the Ricoh?

Quite. This should be a long term commitment for whoever is running the club. What kit colours are you going for then Jase? Is it pure red? If no sky blue I would favour red and green as the colours of Coventry.

Mucca Mad Boys

16th place
In Administration
Points deducted
Under a transfer embargo
Homeless for next season
Unknown Academy future

With all due respect, the foundations aren't particularly strong if the fan base is going to be largely CCFC fans who are protesting.

Who's going to be the mascot? If it's a naked lady on a horse then I'm in.

Mucca Mad Boys

ho

How is this taking fans away from CCFC? These will be fans who are already not going to be Walsall or wherever anyway. The fans are already lost, new club or not.

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

Look at the bigger picture, this 3DJase was on about getting to the FL, if we have 2 Cov teams in the FL it will split support.

SkyblueBazza

FC United and AFC Wimbledon listen to their fans. If a rival club is what is wanted you will not find many to support that on here.

The point was that this new Club is so new it doesn't have any fans...so they have to start somewhere - what they have come up with is an idea to build upon. Sorry if it was not clear.

Users who are viewing this thread