Coventry United FC (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBazza

Well the fact that pretty much everyone to a man thinks the name is wrong should surely hold some credence.

If names don't matter every single business in the UK could just call themselves anything they want.

Fact is, new businesses think long and hard about their business name and make it is a name that stirs up interest. Basically it has to be something you need to get right. Coventry United sounds mundane and boring.

United must be the most common football name in the entire world.

Why not try and be a bit a different and why not go for something with Coventry roots.

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

Nah don't like the sound of "Coventry Roots" either ;-)

Mucca Mad Boys

That is not necessarily a bad thing. Cities with 2 major clubs tend to hold support in city better.

All hypothetical anyway, this 'United' probably won't even get to Nuneaton's league.

Bear in mind those cities are a lot bigger than Coventry

elephanttears

Coventry United is a joke, i could not take people seriously who have thought that name up. Even if they changed the name now its too late.

mark82

Coventry United is a joke, i could not take people seriously who have thought that name up. Even if they changed the name now its too late.

Don't see that a name really makes that much difference to be honest. They are not claiming to be a Phoenix club.

mark82

Maybe a CCFC fan owned club would be better. Could vote on important issues such as name, etc. would be more of a FC United of Manchester type set up. Would involve people putting their hands in their pockets though.

I would need to know more about Coventry United before deciding if they were a real alternative for me. I already try to watch local non league teams when CCFC are not at home and I'm in Coventry.

mark82

Foleshill Phoenix's
Wood End Peckers
Radford Raiders
Earlsdon Eagles
No It's Cov City or nothing

I got that from your previous posts. At the end of the day everyone will have their own opinion. I will be happy for some football to watch on a Saturday. To be honest, much like Sphinx and Copsewood most won't even know they are there.

Otis

The explanation, though valid, still isn't an argument really is it. To 'unite' the fans.

Do they not think everyone else who is 'United' originally were called that for the same sort of reasons. Hardly unique. ;)

It is a rubbish name it has to be said. One that lacks imagination and spark.

Think a new club should have a name that stands out from the crowd, rather than become just yet another 'United.'

Coventry Godiva FC would suffice. Loads of names with Coventry connections and pointers to history if you look for them.

deanocity3

The explanation, though valid, still isn't an argument really is it. To 'unite' the fans.

Do they not think everyone else who is 'United' originally were called that for the same sort of reasons. Hardly unique. ;)

It is a rubbish name it has to be said. One that lacks imagination and spark.

Think a new club should have a name that stands out from the crowd, rather than become just yet another 'United.'

Coventry Godiva FC would suffice. Loads of names with Coventry connections and pointers to history if you look for them.
coventry blitz

stupot07

I don't know whether is the bank holiday booze....but are we now saying that if ccfc leave this cov utd will replace them (ie our AFC Coventry)?

Otis

I don't know whether is the bank holiday booze....but are we now saying that if ccfc leave this cov utd will replace them (ie our AFC Coventry)?

Nope.

No-one's saying that ... are they? :thinking about:

Just think people are saying they may go and watch them while City play away in Walsall for the next 3 years.

We are a Club with big ambitions, and all that we want is support for our new team, it is going to be a club for the fans. The colour red was agreed with the 4 of us and the players.

What was the club called before or is it a totally new club...I ask as you say the players I assume from this is either a club that is changing nits name or your very organised. Who are the directors??

Do you have any youth teams playing if so in what league - are you associated to the other teams playing at Westwood? or is it a re brand of one of them? I don't like United especially if you are keeping the Red - it looks like a Man Utd Coventry Supporters Club IMO. Why not invest your energy into Coventry Sphinx or Coventry Copsewood. BTW do you or any of your fellow Directors have previous links to Copsewood?

procdoc

Great idea, like others I don't like the name though. I'll be watching Bedworth Liberal FC slugging it out in the Coventry Alliance. I hope this new club is a success

Grendel

In reality you will get less than 100 people watching this team

Grendel

Attendances will be similar to what SISU FC will be getting at Walsall or wherever they go for next 3 years then

They will be nowhere near those attendances. In 6 months time no one will even remember this discussion.

Grendel

care to elaborate or is this yet another Grendel sound bite with zero substance?

Name one club at that level that ever has had anywhere near the attendances of clubs that have temporarily moved to another town. Away fans will outnumber the people watching a pub team get real.

procdoc

Name one club at that level that ever has had anywhere near the attendances of clubs that have temporarily moved to another town. Away fans will outnumber the people watching a pub team get real.

what if people did really get behind this though? None of us will truly know that until they kick a ball. Attendances will obviously start off low but as the team go up the pyramid more and more people will go and watch. Is not unfeasible for a team playing non league football to attract attendances of 2 or 3 thousand. Leamington get that every week. Can you honestly see more that 3 thousand going to watch SISU FC playing in Walsall?

Grendel

what if people did really get behind this though? None of us will truly know that until they kick a ball. Attendances will obviously start off low but as the team go up the pyramid more and more people will go and watch. Is not unfeasible for a team playing non league football to attract attendances of 2 or 3 thousand. Leamington get that every week. Can you honestly see more that 3 thousand going to watch SISU FC playing in Walsall?

No 3,000 sounds about right to me. I won't go some will but will not watch another team especially such low level - why would I?

procdoc

No 3,000 sounds about right to me. I won't go some will but will not watch another team especially such low level - why would I?

I won't be going either, got my own club to help run but maybe people would want to go because they can watch a game of football minus all the bullshit? They wouldn't have to go to game wondering what idiotic statement Tim Fisher will be coming out with next. Maybe people feel that they can no longer relate to CCFC with SISU at the helm and want to follow a team they feel an affinity towards? Maybe they have zero interest in travelling to Walsall on a Saturday afternoon and would rather watch a team playing in their own city?

Users who are viewing this thread