Match Thread Coventry City vs Notts County Match Thread - Saturday 12th May (3 Viewers)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Was a poor challenge from Grimmer for their goal, clever finish but shouldn’t have had the time to be able to get the cheeky touch

Penalty wasn’t a pen. But like Robins said, a pen that should have been given wasn’t, so it evened it out

kapowaz

Oh yeah, Davies clearly stamped on Duffy. Genuinely lucky he didn’t get seen - clear red if it had been. He obviously did it with malice, honestly made me wonder what the hell is going on in the lad’s head.

Rodders1

Just got back - stressful to watch, but how good is it to have a big meaningful match at the RICOH!

Definitely take a draw, soft pen and county will feel gutted.

I was nervous about today but feeling quite positive about Friday - full away end, hopefully drier so we can play a bit, and it’s about time we won a game in Nottingham.

Johnnythespider

Tough game and if I was a county fan I would be disappointed going home with the draw given the dubious penalty, but obviously don’t give a shit. The pitch was the great leveller, county adapted quicker to the conditions that we did, we continued to try and pass through the water down that left side where they punted the ball up there and got the stoppage in the corner. Thought grimmer was unlucky on their goal but equally he had a poor game. Doyle looked a bit tired and let quite a bit through him, not sure if that was partly due to the early yellow. Not the ideal result but by far not a disaster but if think we need to be a lot more clinical away, I think we need to score at least twice on Friday to go through
I don't think Grimmer was unlucky, he should have stayed on his feet in that challenge. That or take everything into the hoardings

Alan Dugdales Moustache

A good game but we are almost apologetic in front of goal. As much as I like Jack grimmer he doesn't beat his man and whip in a cross from the byline. No one apart from bayliss able to unlock any defence and we are far too tippee tapee in the last third. We are still in this tie and if county think they've done the hard part then let's stuff em

Esoterica

This one was ruined by the pitch :(

DdBk2yyWkAEmnjN.jpg:large
Wikipedia has Duffy as 65kg :emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

fernandopartridge

He's a right back. He was still our main attacking outlet for the second half, gets far too much unfair criticism on here. He nearly scored in the first 10 with a great run into the box. How many crosses did Stokes put in?
A good game but we are almost apologetic in front of goal. As much as I like Jack grimmer he doesn't beat his man and whip in a cross from the byline. No one apart from bayliss able to unlock any defence and we are far too tippee tapee in the last third. We are still in this tie and if county think they've done the hard part then let's stuff em

Esoterica

Think it's harsh on Grimmer, he clearly plays the natural arc of the ball and gets done by the conditions. His final ball is often poor but if it wasn't he'd not be in L2.

skyblueelephant76

Oh yeah, Davies clearly stamped on Duffy. Genuinely lucky he didn’t get seen - clear red if it had been. He obviously did it with malice, honestly made me wonder what the hell is going on in the lad’s head.
I'll be amazed if Davies plays again this season, stupid thing to do with all the cameras.

Nick

Administrator
Dont think we can afford to drop Davies, especially against Notts County and then potentially Lincoln.

Was a stupid thing to do, bollocks to them though. Much better than us getting bullied.

skyblueelephant76

Dont think we can afford to drop Davies, especially against Notts County and then potentially Lincoln.

Was a stupid thing to do, bollocks to them though. Much better than us getting bullied.
We won't be dropping him, he'll be getting a three match ban.

Macca

2 cup ties to win for promotion, no thoughts of having a lead to defend just go and win 2 games. Let's face it if we have any genuine ambition to play a league higher we have to believe we can do that. I'm going for a horrifically nerve wracking sneaky 1-0 win

CCFC_Charlie

If Davies gets banned then we're done for away at Notts. He was our best player tonight and our only CB that will take the fight to them.

SkyBlue_Bear83

There goal was an absolute gift

Grimmer bottles the challenge and then Davies is all over the place in the middle, not sure if he was trying to play offside but he left forte completely unmarked.

Other than that one lapse of concentration we played well and deaerved at least the draw.

Nick

Administrator
Did anybody record it? Would be interesting to see the challenge on Burge on the goal line and the 2 on Kelly again, they were also pretty bad ;)

saltaire bantam

Never a penalty in million years.
Super hard league to get out of, not long ago I thought you'd miss the play offs. They'll be deflated now. good luck in the 2nd leg.

Adge

Well I'm happy with that in the end. I said outside before we got to the ground that if the pitch is heavy/wet because of the downpour, then it would suit them better.
I thought Kelly had a decent game and was our best player.
Now as a referee myself I am never one for ref bashing, but Mr Ward didn't have his best game. Think he was the only one in the ground who thought it was a penalty too.

CCFC_Charlie

Did their left back not handle it during the slide tackle to win the ball from Grimmer in the build up to the goal? Certainly looks like it on the highlights.

chiefdave

No way. He may stand on his foot but no stamp down and Duffy would still be rolling around now if he’d meant it. Nowhere near as bad as you’re making out
Read this thread before watching the highlights, was expecting something way worse the way people are carrying on.

chiefdave

They'll be happier with a draw than us as they clearly came here not intending to play any football.

If we'd have gone there with a defeat we'd struggle, we all know how we can't break sides down that put everyone behind the ball. The draw gives us a real chance, they can't just sit back like they did tonight and I think we're the better footballing side. An open game will suit us.

Users who are viewing this thread