Match Thread Coventry City vs Notts County Match Thread - Saturday 12th May (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

So what's the best team to put out for the 1st leg? We need to hit them with everything we have because going to their place will be difficult.

Need to go with a clear 2 goal lead.

M

Martw

I think both games will be tight affairs, reckon we can score in both and as such won't be losing sleep if its a draw, that said any win of any kind would be good and a
boost in confidence ahead of the second game.

Londonccfcfan

Will be very tight. We tend to play better under lights more attacking at least. I think it's an actual advantage to play 2nd leg away (Liverpool klop theory) as long as it doesn't go to extra time or penalties.

Same team for me apart from Willis will be back in for Hyam.

Away goals don't mean anything. So I'm going for a home win. 2-1.

McNulty brace.

25k minimum.

letsallsingtogether

Wouldn't like to call this one but as long as we don't lose bonus we have been better away resently.

Mucca Mad Boys

Keep the diamond, I liked how we moved the ball about actually. Probably start Biamou as he was supposed to have started yesterday.

Willis and Davies to start, best way to deal with their directness I suspect.

Otis

So what's the best team to put out for the 1st leg? We need to hit them with everything we have because going to their place will be difficult.

Not so sure the away leg will be difficult necessarily.

We should have gained a draw at their place during the season.

As long as we don't lose here at home I would fancy our chances.

A lead would be great though to take to Meadow Lane.

no_loyalty

I agree that we need at least a 2 goal advantage to take to their place, our record there is pretty poor.

Hopefully Willis will be back to partner Davies, and put Biamou in for JCH

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I fancy us over two legs because I feel we have the quality even out any mistakes. It's the pressure of Wembley that really worries me.

Same, fancy us to beat Notts I’m usually half empty sort of character but very positive (for some reason- must be the sun)

However I think Lincoln will beat us at Wembley, but we’ll beat Exeter.....

Liquid Gold

Why? We always win when we go there!
We were huge underdogs in 87, we lost there in the charity shield and there was no pressure on us last year as it was just a jolly but it would be completely different in a playoff final. Some were booing us yesterday for playing out a draw to get us into playoffs, what would they be like if we weren't 3 nil up in 10 seconds. All the pressure would be on us not Exeter/Lincoln.

Sky Blue Harry H

I fancy us over two legs because I feel we have the quality even out any mistakes. It's the pressure of Wembley that really worries me.

Burge played like Gordon Banks and Turnbull played like Bobby Moore last time we were at Wembley - so no worries that our players won't grow at that venue (especially with a sea of Sky Blue behind them!)

Sky Blue Harry H

Was Shipley injured when he came off Saturday, or was it tactical? Hoping Shipley can play a part over the 2 legs, though Reid can be a different option.

Londonccfcfan

Agree with this. I think we will have one good game. Just depends how much better our good game is vs the bad game.

Gazolba

In my opinion, we need a 2-goal lead going into the second leg.
With our inconsistent form and proclivity for defensive clangers, we need a 2-goal cushion so if they score first in the second leg, we don't panic and collapse.

Garryb80

Was Shipley injured when he came off Saturday, or was it tactical? Hoping Shipley can play a part over the 2 legs, though Reid can be a different option.
Only part I want Shipley playing is warming up after being sat on the bench. We are playing the most physical side in the league and Shipley never makes a challenge for any ball. His set piece delivery is also awful. Play Reid and lets get behind their very limited defence.

Otis

Only part I want Shipley playing is warming up after being sat on the bench. We are playing the most physical side in the league and Shipley never makes a challenge for any ball. His set piece delivery is also awful. Play Reid and lets get behind their very limited defence.
Thing is, Shipley can put a good delivery in. He's done it on numerous occasions.

Why his dead ball deliveries have been so bad of late is anyone's guess.

And, don't you see the irony in saying they are the most physical side in the league, but then wanting to play Reid, who is renowned for not being physical?

Nick

Administrator
I think we need Davies in at the back, if Willis is fit then bring him in too. McDonald is still petrified of Ameobi.

Oh and to stay consistent, somebody needs to absolutely smash their number 18 early on.

Adge

Winning our leg at the Ricoh is a must and puts the pressure back on County.

If I'm honest I think this is very much a 50/50 game.
Indeed it is and very close to call. Can see it going the distance(unlike Haye v Bellew!). Willis to come in for Hyam and a good bench if needed.

Great_Expectations

Based on the size of their strike force, it’s essential Davies plays and McDonald is nowhere near the team. Hopefully Willis will be back too, as a CB with pace is an asset, especially in L2. Plus, he’s more physical and seen as he’s an academy product you’d expect him to be one of the most motivated.

As always, the wings are an issue as we only have one winger and MR doesn’t fancy him. The diamond can work, but if so we’ll need the full backs to be solid, so I’d definitely start Stokes. I worry about Shipley too, he’s quite industrious and at times has a decent technique, but he doesn’t really add much and is inconsistent.

Biamou should be back in ahead of JCH. As I have put on a few match threads; for all his swagger and attitude I’m not really sure what he adds. He should, on paper, be head and shoulders above L2 defenders, but he spends too much time on the floor or too far away from McNulty to link.

Doyle will be key, but I’ve not doubt he’ll put in a real leaders performance.

It’ll be a tense affair on Friday, it’s not only the biggest match for the players but also for the majority of fans. Let’s hope the one game a season idiots don’t get impatient and start moaning/booing. No matter what we need to be the 12th man, cliche as that sounds.

2-0, McNulty, Bayliss.

Garryb80

Thing is, Shipley can put a good delivery in. He's done it on numerous occasions.

Why his dead ball deliveries have been so bad of late is anyone's guess.

And, don't you see the irony in saying they are the most physical side in the league, but then wanting to play Reid, who is renowned for not being physical?
Reid does however put a challenge in and general effort. Shipley doesn't do either.

steveo1987

They seem confident on the Notts County forum.Quite a few have booked hotels in London for the final.

MatthewWallis

Well Willis certainly won’t be playing, according to the fans forum on Facebook he is off to Rotherham and this is concrete proof

Attachments

• 0DD92BFB-2EF3-4C55-9387-25C15FA36955.png
    0DD92BFB-2EF3-4C55-9387-25C15FA36955.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: vow

Users who are viewing this thread