Match Thread Coventry City vs Notts County Match Thread - Saturday 12th May (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Well I'm happy with that in the end. I said outside before we got to the ground that if the pitch is heavy/wet because of the downpour, then it would suit them better.
I thought Kelly had a decent game and was our best player.
Now as a referee myself I am never one for ref bashing, but Mr Ward didn't have his best game. Think he was the only one in the ground who thought it was a penalty too.

Horrah! It’s took all season but there we have it; Adge agreeing that a ref was pretty shite (not in those words admittedly but we know that’s what you mean ;))

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Disagree on the handball.

I am always very much in the has to be deliberate camp though, so no handball for that. Purely accidental.

Have seen them given so many times though.
Larry Grayson was delibrate camp.

Otis

Did I really just read that the pen. Was the worst ref error in history...

Are they also suggesting that it was a clear dive and should be banned as well.
Bayliss most definitely did not dive.

He didn't even appeal for the pen did he?

Legia Sky Blue

Yah, get that. I'm just very much all about deliberate handball and I think that is what the rule should be.

He might not have deliberately handled it as such, but when you are waving your hands above your head (which he did deliberately) and the ball hits your hand you are treading a fine line. I've never liked the 'deliberate' angle to handball decisions as its open to different interpretations of the same incident depending on the whims of an individual ref, and I've often thought it would be clearer and more consistent to adopt the hockey rule that any handball, deliberate or not, is a foul. The decision is based on fact then rather than interpretation. The deliberate side of it should only then come in to it in the refs decision whether to card the offending player.

Otis

He might not have deliberately handled it as such, but when you are waving your hands above your head (which he did deliberately) and the ball hits your hand you are treading a fine line. I've never liked the 'deliberate' angle to handball decisions as its open to different interpretations of the same incident depending on the whims of an individual ref, and I've often thought it would be clearer and more consistent to adopt the hockey rule that any handball, deliberate or not, is a foul. The decision is based on fact then rather than interpretation. The deliberate side of it should only then come in to it in the refs decision whether to card the offending player.
In hockey though isn't it a penalty corner rather than penalty?

Not sure, but thought that's what it was.

A spot kick seems very harsh when the ball hits your hand and your arms are by you side.

Did you see the Roma pen against Liverpool? That was ridiculous.

Arms by his side.

Just think if you make any handball in the area a pen players will deliberately hit the ball at players' arms.

Legia Sky Blue

A spot kick seems very harsh when the ball hits your hand and your arms are by you side.

Arms by his side.

Just think if you make any handball in the area a pen players will deliberately hit the ball at players' arms.

Yes I guess initially players would deliberately look to hit the ball against the hand, which does seem to happen in hockey whenever I've seen it,, but after a short while I think defenders & forwards would adapt their skill sets to deal with it. I don't know enough about hockey to be sure about the penalty corner thing or not, but obviously penalty corners are no part of football so wouldn't apply. Good thing really as it would be no advantage to us :)

Otis

Yes I guess initially players would deliberately look to hit the ball against the hand, which does seem to happen in hockey whenever I've seen it,, but after a short while I think defenders & forwards would adapt their skill sets to deal with it. I don't know enough about hockey to be sure about the penalty corner thing or not, but obviously penalty corners are no part of football so wouldn't apply. Good thing really as it would be no advantage to us :)
I think if players deliberately trying to hit the hands with the ball they should all wear gloves.

Would kill it stone dead.

NortonSkyBlue

Arms by his side.

Like most laws if applied consistently most would have no issue with a decision. Its that one ref interprets it in one way and another sees it differently.

Johnnythespider

I am probably a lone voice here but having watched the penalty from several angles I think the ref is right to give it. Seen from behind, the refs view or in front Jimmy Hills view it looks like it's Bayliss who nicks the ball away and the County player plays Bayliss's right foot. That's how I see it anyway, the more it eats at them the better.

wingy

I am probably a lone voice here but having watched the penalty from several angles I think the ref is right to give it. Seen from behind, the refs view or in front Jimmy Hills view it looks like it's Bayliss who nicks the ball away and the County player plays Bayliss's right foot. That's how I see it anyway, the more it eats at them the better.
I agree If it's boiling the fans piss the players and Nolan are likely the same.
Of course that may act as motivation but in my view the effect on them will be negative.

gspotgaz

Can someone explain how that isn’t offside ?

Attachments

• 39479731-57A7-4EC6-A5C8-036427CBF879.png
    39479731-57A7-4EC6-A5C8-036427CBF879.png
    926.1 KB · Views: 36

clint van damme

I agree If it's boiling the fans piss the players and Nolan are likely the same.
Of course that may act as motivation but in my view the effect on them will be negative.

I said last night that I believe psychology plays a massive part in the play off games. I think conceding that goal so late will be a blow to them.

The Great Eastern

For clarity, offside can still be called when the ball is played backwards if the player receiving the pass has moved from an offside position to get involved in the move. This wasnt the case with Forte last night.

wingy

For clarity, offside can still be called when the ball is played backwards if the player receiving the pass has moved from an offside position to get involved in the move. This wasnt the case with Forte last night.
That's a bizarre one isn't it really ,that he could have moved a yard back and then it gets called.

Mr Panda

Not sure if its been mentioned (Can't be arsed to read the thread). Glad to see Burge shoving their lad who stood on him during corners which was our downfall at the away game. We're learning a little!

Londonccfcfan

This is the week!

Gotta feeling its gonna be Max biamou screamer or one off his bum.

Fancy a high scoring game, 3-2 city.

Scorers ( Davies from set piece, just to wind their fans up more) Kelly and biamou!

What odds on that.

Users who are viewing this thread