Match Thread Coventry City vs. MK Dons Match Thread - Saturday 11th Jan (4 Viewers)

harvey098

A few points.

- Atmosphere was terrible again today. It’s just not right, the Ricoh was never raucous but it would’ve been better than that today (obviously helped by twice the attendance).

- We didn’t play it out from the back as much today, I think possibly a bit nervous after the mistake for the penalty against BR and Marosi nearly getting caught early on. This meant we didn’t get our usual stranglehold of the game.

- People morning about the result today are a joke. I think a draw is probably fair. We could’ve scored another couple (Godden’s touch is better he scores and Biamou’s was just a good save) but they had a couple of really good chances themselves as well. The one where the lad put about three of our defenders on the floor should’ve scored.

- People saying the league is easier this season are wrong IMO. Luton ran away with the league last season with their league 2 squad and they’re coming straight back down with it. They weren’t that good and I think they would be bang in this pack of about 12 teams this year who are all able to take points off each other which has spread the league.

- Still, 10 points from 12 taken from some difficult fixtures. Unbeaten run continues. 3 points off top with a game in hand.

Robins is doing an incredible job with this club. PUSB

Sky Blue Pete

A few points.

- Atmosphere was terrible again today. It’s just not right, the Ricoh was never raucous but it would’ve been better than that today (obviously helped by twice the attendance).

- We didn’t play it out from the back as much today, I think possibly a bit nervous after the mistake for the penalty against BR and Marosi nearly getting caught early on. This meant we didn’t get our usual stranglehold of the game.

- People morning about the result today are a joke. I think a draw is probably fair. We could’ve scored another couple (Godden’s touch is better he scores and Biamou’s was just a good save) but they had a couple of really good chances themselves as well. The one where the lad put about three of our defenders on the floor should’ve scored.

- People saying the league is easier this season are wrong IMO. Luton ran away with the league last season with their league 2 squad and they’re coming straight back down with it. They weren’t that good and I think they would be bang in this pack of about 12 teams this year who are all able to take points off each other which has spread the league.

- Still, 10 points from 12 taken from some difficult fixtures. Unbeaten run continues. 3 points off top with a game in hand.

Excellent summary.

SlowerThanPlatt

A few points.

A few points.

No Luton picked up that many points because they were significantly better than the majority of the teams. That’s exactly the point some are making - everyone takes points off each other because there’s little difference between the top team and the 12th best team.

If Luton got 94 points and weren’t that good - it doesn’t bode very well for us as we’re likely to get nowhere near that many

Grendel

No Luton picked up that many points because they were significantly better than the majority of the teams. That’s exactly the point some are making - everyone takes points off each other because there’s little difference between the top team and the 12th best team.

If Luton got 94 points and weren’t that good - it doesn’t bode very well for us as we’re likely to get nowhere near that many

I guess by that logic Liverpool aren’t much good either

harvey098

The point is that so many more teams are competitive this season. I think people are mistaking equality this year to equal a lack of quality. It's not true.

SlowerThanPlatt

The point is that so many more teams are competitive this season. I think people are mistaking equality this year to equal a lack of quality. It's not true.

It’s equal because there’s a lot of average sides not because there’s a lot of good sides. Rotherham who are top at the moment would be 10 points off top last season at the same stage, look at the Championship and L2 the top side all have over 50 points

What we have is a team who won their first league game since the 5th of November and want their manager sacked above us - a team who apparently are woeful Wycombe above us and a team who some of our fans laugh at every week Sunderland 3 points behind us

Do you think fans of Championship clubs think Leeds and West Brom are woeful as we do Wycombe?

itsabuzzard

My thoughts exactly. Why assume that if the league's very tight, that the standard's poorer?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

My thoughts exactly. Why assume that if the league's very tight, that the standard's poorer?

Because Wycombe are second and apparently a terrible side. Others thought Ipswich weren’t too good either but are above us. In fact, mostly every side we’ve played this season we’ve had fans on here saying they’re poor and they don’t get how they’re that high up in the league

I can’t remember many saying Luton and Barnsley were poor sides

itsabuzzard

Because Wycombe are second and apparently a terrible side. Others thought Ipswich weren’t too good either but are above us. In fact, mostly every side we’ve played this season we’ve had fans on here saying they’re poor and they don’t get how they’re that high up in the league

I'm not sure you'd get to second in the table after more than half a season by being terrible. "Apparently" and "others thought" - opinions of posters. Wycombe and Ipswich have faltered recently. They've lost form - I don't think that necessarily makes them poor teams.

harvey098

It’s equal because there’s a lot of average sides not because there’s a lot of good sides. Rotherham who are top at the moment would be 10 points off top last season at the same stage, look at the Championship and L2 the top side all have over 50 points

What we have is a team who won their first league game since the 5th of November and want their manager sacked above us - a team who apparently are woeful Wycombe above us and a team who some of our fans laugh at every week Sunderland 3 points behind us

Do you think fans of Championship clubs think Leeds and West Brom are woeful as we do Wycombe?

That is kind of my point though is that a lot of teams like us and Oxford have improved and overtaken teams like Sunderland, Donny and Portsmouth (the three remaining teams from last years top 6) and its bunched up the whole top half. Anyway, it's pointless arguing about this. I'm signing off for the day but have a good rest of the weekend and enjoy looking at us in the top 6 irrespective of whether the teams around us are good or not ;-) PUSB

skyblue025

I'm not having a meltdown. He has cost us so many points this season like Burge did last year. I know he does a lot of good as well but we can't keep overlooking the mistskes , they are too regular.

skyblue025

Wasn't he injured at the time? I know all players make mistakes but Mcfadz often lead to goals. He's the one with the experience and the leader at the back and I see what he adds to the team but his mistakes are costing us points big time.

Evo1883

I'm not having a meltdown. He has cost us so many points this season like Burge did last year. I know he does a lot of good as well but we can't keep overlooking the mistskes , they are too regular.

I think he's the best defender at the club, I've already explained why he often finds himself in the position that he does... Without him, we would lose more matches I have no doubt

Evo1883

I've got to get this straight because you keep saying if a team wins a league by a huge margin that means that the division is better?

Using your very own logic, the French league is a good league, it was especially great in 2014/15 when PSG won the division by 31 points.
I mean obviously they won it by 31 points because the league was extremely competitive full of very good sides that pushed them all the way.

When a league is won and 1/2/3 teams finish miles ahead of everybody else, that means the league is a better standard and is more competitive right and there are more good sides throughout the division right??

Wheras when the leagues close it means the teams are shit?

higgs

We we weren't coventry fans I don't think we would be too worried about us taking one of the automatic promotion places

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

I've got to get this straight because you keep saying if a team wins a league by a huge margin that means that the division is better?

Using your very own logic, the French league is a good league, it was especially great in 2014/15 when PSG won the division by 31 points.
I mean obviously they won it by 31 points because the league was extremely competitive full of very good sides that pushed them all the way.

When a league is won and 1/2/3 teams finish miles ahead of everybody else, that means the league is a better standard and is more competitive right and there are more good sides throughout the division..

Wheras when the leagues close it means the teams are shit?

In 2014/15 they finished 8 points clear of Lyon?

Evo1883

The gulf in class between the top teams and the mid table teams should be large yes - the clue is in ‘top’ and ‘mid’

So that would mean that the division as a whole is less competitive then... Which is the argument... You saying PSG winning a league by 31 points means it's a better league makes absolutely ZERO sense

Irish Sky Blue

That’s a Rotherham team who were competitive in the championship and who were very close to saving themselves, perhaps more competitive than Luton are this season.
What measure are you using to say that because the league is more competitive this season it is weaker?
It seems to me that some posters are clutching at straws desperately trying to down play what has been a good season for us so far. We are certainly competitive and are in with a chance of automatic promotion. From the comments made it would seem that the only acceptable performance this season would be that we are running away with the league. (I am sure some would still say, well, it is a weak league).
This is our club, which off the field is still in turmoil. Surely we should be pleased that, despite everything, we have a good chance of going up.

SlowerThanPlatt

So that would mean that the division as a whole is less competitive then... Which is the argument... You saying PSG winning a league by 31 points means it's a better league makes absolutely ZERO sense

No I’m saying the top teams should be significantly better than the mid table teams. This is the case in every league across Europe apart from League One - so very much an anomaly

Evo1883

No I’m saying the top teams should be significantly better than the mid table teams. This is the case in every league across Europe apart from League One - so very much an anomaly

I've already told you it's not, la liga 13 points and the bundesliga 13 points between top and mid table

Irish Sky Blue

I’ve seen every game this season apart from Ipswich away. Teams that have impressed would include Rotherham, Ipswich in the two St Andrews games, Oxford, Fleetwood and MK yesterday. I still haven’t seen a team who has put up better performances than we have this season. Why are you determined to look at thinks so pessimistically?

Evo1883

Can you find one with 8?

And they’ve played less games than us and have less teams in their league

It doesn't matter that's the gap in the respective leagues, you can't use the argument of European leagues then moan when I say the gaps are small in two of the 5 so called best leagues in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread