Match Thread Coventry City vs. MK Dons Match Thread - Saturday 11th Jan (3 Viewers)

Evo1883

I think there are more competitive sides in the league this season, hence why the points tally is less.

Feels a bit tougher this year in the top half

SlowerThanPlatt

I think there are more competitive sides in the league this season, hence why the points tally is less

I reckon you could go through any league in the world and you’d struggle to find an 8 point gap between top and 12th

PL - 33 points
Championship - 16 points
L2 - 20 points
NL - 15 points
NL North - 20 points
NL South - 20 points

Evo1883

I reckon you could go through any league in the world and you’d struggle to find an 8 point gap between top and 12th

PL - 33 points
Championship - 16 points
L2 - 20 points
NL - 15 points
NL North - 20 points
NL South - 20 points
That's what I mean, Alot of decent sides this season and quite a few who've bolstered their squads from last season including us...
I think with this very squad in the division last season we'd finish higher than 8th

clint van damme

That's what I mean, Alot of decent sides this season and quite a few who've bolstered their squads from last season including us...
I think with this very squad in the division last season we'd finish higher than 8th

I believe we need a couple of additions if we're going to challenge.
Main priority a striker.

Evo1883

I mean the only way to look at this is not to say what points tally the top 2 had last season after 24 games...
A better statistic to look at would be how far off the top 2 were we after 24 games last season... That's how you measure it IMO

SlowerThanPlatt

Do you not think it shows there’s not much difference between the best side and the 12th best side - which wouldn’t be a sign of a good league as in every other league the top side are much further ahead of 12th position?

Evo1883

Do you not think it shows there’s not much difference between the best side and the 12th best side - which wouldn’t be a sign of a good league as in every other league the top side are much further ahead of 12th position?

Not really, I believe for example the Premier league is not nearly as good as it was say 10/15 years ago hence why Liverpool are 20 wins from 21 games and miles ahead of 2nd and 3rd

Frostie

A lot of overreaction, particularly behind me during the game!

Lots look at the table & are appalled we're not beating a team lower down but MK Dons have turned around massively under Russell Martin & deserve credit. They were in good form too coming in & played well. Reminded me a little of ourselves earlier in the season, lots of nice play but lacking up front.

We weren't at our best & definitely looked tired but still could/should have won the game if we'd taken our chances.

Last edited:

Evo1883

How about now? Don’t you think after 24 games there should be a clear class difference between top and 12th as there is in every other league?

Some teams will fall foul to injury and will also naturally fall to their level as the season wears on... Double that 8 now its 16 add some bad form etc it will end up around 20/25

SlowerThanPlatt

Some teams will fall foul to injury and naturally fall to their level .. Double that now its 16 add some bad form etc it will end up around 20/25

I’m asking about now - every other league there’s far more than 8 points between top and 12th - also we’re over half way through the season

BornSlippySkyBlue

They did, 26 wins 12 draws 90 points

Liverpool have 20 wins after 21 games
I agree Liverpool are on fire this season. Arsenal weren’t such an attacking team though tbf, they were more content to get a draw than Liverpool this season. Maybe if they’d been more attacking they’d have got more wins. Maybe.

Don’t really follow the prem that much these days in all honesty, was just to point out that 15 years ago there were still teams that nobody could beat.

Evo1883

I’m asking about now - every other league there’s far more than 8 points between top and 12th - also we’re over half way through the season

True, and I've already said I think it's a far more competitive season but by May I think the difference will be around 20/25 points... That's 7/8 wins

SlowerThanPlatt

True, and I've already said I think it's a far more competitive season but by May I think the difference will be around 20/25 points... That's 7/8 wins

It’s competitive because there’s a lot of average sides who are a much of a muchness and not because there’s a lot of good or very good ones

Evo1883

It’s competitive because there’s a lot of average sides not because there’s a lot of good or very good ones

You can be more competitive without being worse...
I watched Luton pompey Sunderland and Barnsley last season home and away and I didn't think they were all that much better than we are right now if at all

If a team is walking a league then surely the competition isn't there?

For arguments sake the difference between the Premier league and la liga top and midway is huge, la liga is 13 points only between top and mid way

SlowerThanPlatt

You can be more competitive without being worse...
I watched Luton pompey Sunderland and Barnsley last season home and away and I didn't think they were all that much better than we are right now

No because as I’ve pointed out at this stage of season there should be a clear difference between the top team and the 12th best team, in every other league there is, in our league there isn’t.

Our 41 points this season would have us 8th last and 13 points off top - I’m aware we have a different team but then if this team would have competed with the top teams last season shouldn’t they be top of this league by some distance?

Evo1883

No because as I’ve pointed out at this stage of season there should be a clear difference between the top team and the 12th best team, in every other league there is, in our league there isn’t.

Our 41 points this season would have us 8th last and 13 points off top - I’m aware we have a different team but then if this team would have competed with the top teams last season shouldn’t they be top of this league by some distance?

But I think we would have done better last season with this team...? It's a different league this season I'm not sure why you are drawing the comparison... We are 3 off top with a better team and that a reflection

Also why should their be a clear difference?
There is only a 4 win difference between top and halfway in the Spanish league and the German league too... That's not a big gap is it?

The gap between European football and 15th in the prem is 8 points
Liverpool are 16 points ahead of Leicester with a game in hand... The completion is weak, united are weaker, as a Chelsea and arsenal, as too are Tottenham

SlowerThanPlatt

But I think we would have done better last season with this team...? It's a different league this season I'm not sure why you are drawing the comparison... We are 3 off top with a better team and that a reflection

Also why should their be a clear difference?
There is only a 4 win difference between top and halfway in the Spanish league and the German league too... That's not a big gap is it?

The gap between European football and 15th in the prem is 8 points

Do you think the top teams are stronger or weaker than last season in League 1?

Evo1883

Do you think the top teams are stronger or weaker than last season in League 1?

It's hard to say, I think this Coventry team is no weaker than what I saw of Luton last season? It's a different league?look at pompey they are doing much worse.
Liverpool and man City have the same starting 11 s nion as last season and yet there is a 17 point gap? Last season city were top... Its a different season

Using your logic pompey should be walking the league this season, they finished 6 points off top

BornSlippySkyBlue

I’m not sure of this assertion that the league is there for the taking etc. In fact, it’s more competitive as there are many teams with similar ability. Still only three teams going up, so still need to finish in the top two (or win the playoffs) and more teams who could feasibly do it due to the closeness. If there was a 20 point gap down to 7th then you could safely write off 7th down from catching up. As it is lots of teams still have a chance, certainly of the playoffs. Competitive league doesn’t make it an easier league IMO.

SlowerThanPlatt

It's hard to say, I think this Coventry team is no weaker than what I saw of Luton last season? It's a different league?look at pompey they have pretty much the same team but are doing much worse
Liverpool and man City have the same starting 11 s nion as last season and yet there is a 17 point gap? Last season city were top... Its a different season

Using your logic pompey should be walking the league this season

You think we’re as good as Luton last year?

Evo1883

You think we’re as good as Luton last year?

I think the reason Luton did so well last year is that there were worse teams throughout the division.

Let me ask you if your opinion of the league being worse is true, then why are Portsmouth not pissing the league as they only finished 6 points off Luton... They have Alot of the same players?

And yes I don't think Luton would get anywhere near 94 points this season in league 1 with that team

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Ifollow or not your commentary mate is missed

but surely there’s been a lot less shits going wide ;)

I do miss it. in reality I feel like I’ve not seen much football at all of late

since stopping going away games and now being at st Andrews where I only attend Saturday games I feel like a part time fan sometimes!

SlowerThanPlatt

I think the reason Luton did so well last year is that there were worse teams throughout the division.

Let me ask you if your opinion of the league being worse is true, then why are Portsmouth not pissing the league as they only finished 6 points off Luton... They have Alot of the same players?

And yes I don't think Luton would get anywhere near 94 points this season in league 1 with that team

Luton doing well was not down to them being good but because there were weaker teams?

Evo1883

Luton doing well was not down to them being good but because there were weaker teams?

Well it makes complete and utter sense and the same reason that pompey aren't walking the league this season despite having a similar team that pushed Luton at the top

SlowerThanPlatt

Well it makes complete and utter sense in the same regards that pompey aren't walking the league this season despite having a similar team that pushed Luton at the top

No it doesn’t? We finished 8th one season in L1 then got relegated the next?

And they sold Clarke to Brighton and Lowe to Wigan did they not?

Users who are viewing this thread