Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (12 Viewers)

COV

Not really, they are both viruses that can kill tens of thousands a year even with a vaccination programme. Plus for younger people they’re about equally as high in mortality

I must have missed it when the flu was able to bring an entire country to a standstill

Skybluefaz

Had a visit to the hospital yesterday to see a senior respiratory consultant after over 2 years of waiting. Asked about covid and if particular if I was wrong to be feeling anixious when everyone else seems to be acting like nothing ever happened. To be honest I was hoping for a 'if you're double jabbed there's little to worry about' type answer for re-assurance but I got nothing like that. Wasn't sure if I should post what she said but figured I might as well in case anyone is interested in an experts opinion.

Basically she said this is a long way from being over and people are too comfortable & complacent. Said it was best to look at hospitalisations & deaths rather than cases and both those figures are significantly higher than they were heading into last winter and rising.

Said the 'in the wild' data indicates that vaccination does lower the chance of getting covid and the risk of passing it on if you do have it but people have focused on a single study which shows that in lab conditions, where nose swabs were taken, there could be the same viral load in the vaccinated and unvaccinated but even that showed that in the vaccinated the viral load dropped far quicker than in the unvaccinated.

Also said she hoped that vaccine passports and masks would be introduced, this was before the government announced the winter plan, to minimise hospitalisations without the need for another lockdown.

Finally said people are using terms like 'overwhelm the NHS' without understanding what they are talking about as they say levels aren't as high as last year and therefore the NHS can cope but that required shutting down everything that wasn't critical care to concentrate on covid. The levels of covid hospitalisations the NHS can cope with before other services are impacted is far lower and they're already, at least locally, very close to that level.

As I was leaving I asked specifically about attending matches. She said personally she wouldn't even consider going to an event with a large crowd of unmasked, and potentially unvaccinated, people.

Not exactly the reassurance I was looking for. On the bright side no cancer, no additional respiratory issues on top of what I already knew about, no issues with immune system, so onto another waiting list (12 months or longer thanks to the backlog) for another department and more tests.
BUT NICKI MINAJS COUSINS FRIENDS BOLLOCKS HAVE EXPLODED

Sky Blue Pete

Had a visit to the hospital yesterday to see a senior respiratory consultant after over 2 years of waiting. Asked about covid and if particular if I was wrong to be feeling anixious when everyone else seems to be acting like nothing ever happened. To be honest I was hoping for a 'if you're double jabbed there's little to worry about' type answer for re-assurance but I got nothing like that. Wasn't sure if I should post what she said but figured I might as well in case anyone is interested in an experts opinion.

Basically she said this is a long way from being over and people are too comfortable & complacent. Said it was best to look at hospitalisations & deaths rather than cases and both those figures are significantly higher than they were heading into last winter and rising.

Said the 'in the wild' data indicates that vaccination does lower the chance of getting covid and the risk of passing it on if you do have it but people have focused on a single study which shows that in lab conditions, where nose swabs were taken, there could be the same viral load in the vaccinated and unvaccinated but even that showed that in the vaccinated the viral load dropped far quicker than in the unvaccinated.

Also said she hoped that vaccine passports and masks would be introduced, this was before the government announced the winter plan, to minimise hospitalisations without the need for another lockdown.

Finally said people are using terms like 'overwhelm the NHS' without understanding what they are talking about as they say levels aren't as high as last year and therefore the NHS can cope but that required shutting down everything that wasn't critical care to concentrate on covid. The levels of covid hospitalisations the NHS can cope with before other services are impacted is far lower and they're already, at least locally, very close to that level.

As I was leaving I asked specifically about attending matches. She said personally she wouldn't even consider going to an event with a large crowd of unmasked, and potentially unvaccinated, people.

Not exactly the reassurance I was looking for. On the bright side no cancer, no additional respiratory issues on top of what I already knew about, no issues with immune system, so onto another waiting list (12 months or longer thanks to the backlog) for another department and more tests.
Thanks will take mask tonight for me and others

Brighton Sky Blue

I must have missed it when the flu was able to bring an entire country to a standstill

So the 20 odd thousand it killed just a few years ago can be overlooked? The fact that it 100% causes symptoms in who it infects and forces people out of work?

They aren’t complete opposites as is being suggested.

COV

So the 20 odd thousand it killed just a few years ago can be overlooked? The fact that it 100% causes symptoms in who it infects and forces people out of work?

They aren’t complete opposites as is being suggested.

Nobody has said they are complete opposites.

Evo1883

I think I was referring to flu as a way we can interpret how our future looks .. that's all .

At one point one strain of flu was killing 25-50 million people .
And today it still kills 100s of thousands with vaccines

Thought myself it was a logical way of looking at where we could end up

NorthernWisdom

I think I was referring to flu as a way we can interpret how our future looks .. that's all .

At one point one strain of flu was killing 25-50 million people .
And today it still kills 100s of thousands with vaccines

Thought myself it was a logical way of looking at where we could end up
You're right that we'll get to a stage where for most it's just 'got a spot of Covid'. Not there yet mind, but one day...!

chiefdave

You're right that we'll get to a stage where for most it's just 'got a spot of Covid'. Not there yet mind, but one day...!
That's the target. If we get to something similar to what we had with H1N1, couple of weeks at home and a few pills to take, that would be a best case scenario.

Grendel

Isn't it already like that though? The vast majority of people testing positive don't need hospital treatment.

Yes it is - the flu can kill thousands but the demographic is specific - its the elderly and infirm. The slightest risk to other groups and the perception changes

chiefdave

Isn't it already like that though? The vast majority of people testing positive don't need hospital treatment.
I think the issue is that its always been thought the numbers will rise in the winter. We currently have 8,413 hospitalisations compared to 843 this time last year. Same story with ICU, currently 1,056, last year 92. We need hospitalisations to be at a level where the NHS can manage them effectively without it impacting on other services. Can't be in the position we've been in when numbers have gone up previously and everything else has to stop. There's already a huge backlog of other issues to deal with.

If you use the current 7 day average for deaths and even if you assume no increase in the winter that's still over 50K deaths a year which doesn't compare well with other causes of death in the UK. We'll need to put significant funding into the NHS annually to avoid that having a big impact on other services.

LastGarrison

My Missus drove past UHCW last night and said that there was an anti-vax protest taking place.

If you want to protest then that is your prerogative but outside a hospital? When staff have been at breaking point, when people can’t go and see family members because of COVID, people dying alone etc.

Nah, fuck you.

hill83

My Missus drove past UHCW last night and said that there was an anti-vax protest taking place.

If you want to protest then that is your prerogative but outside a hospital? When staff have been at breaking point, when people can’t go and see family members because of COVID, people dying alone etc.

Nah, fuck you.

Utter twats.

skybluetony176

Nah, fuck you.
Pricks.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just had track and trace contact me my isolation finishes at midnight tonight rather than midnight tomorrow as I’d thought .
Had a random days annual leave booked for tomorrow, run planned

I hope if you go out tomorrow you don't bump into anyone and ended up getting pinged again!

hill83

It’s still a shame though. There’s was one where all 6 members of the family died.

shmmeee

I can’t decide if it’s idiots all the way down or there’s people who know better but spread bullshit for cash/political gain. If it’s the former I have some sympathy, the latter can get fucked though.

hill83

I can’t decide if it’s idiots all the way down or there’s people who know better but spread bullshit for cash/political gain. If it’s the former I have some sympathy, the latter can get fucked though.

Difficult to know either way. But if they are true it’s hardly surprising. Pandemic going on and that.

PVA

It’s still a shame though. There’s was one where all 6 members of the family died.

I don't think it is a shame with her tbf, as she's an appalling c**t:

E_c2-IaVgAIkGY4

Sick Boy

So.. face coverings in a crowded area among strangers help reduce the spread... but not mandated. That reassures for train journeys, eh.

And what the hell is the rest of the bollocks he's spouting?!?
I didn’t realise covid didn’t spread amongst people who see each other often.

Users who are viewing this thread