Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (5 Viewers)

skyblue1991

Yes it was discussed a few days ago, they have now started releasing that data.

Latest figures are in the link in this tweet 👍🏻

Thanks for this.

I expected better with the death rates. For example, there were 1119 deaths in the 80+ range but only 150 of those haven't been vaccinated. Isn't that a concern?

PVA

Thanks for this.

I expected better with the death rates. For example, there were 1119 deaths in the 80+ range but only 150 of those haven't been vaccinated. Isn't that a concern?

No it's not too much of a concern because so many of the 80+ range have been vaccinated. Is it 95% or something?

So case wise its almost a 50/50 split between vaccinated and non vaccinated, but the vaccinated have a much higher survival rate

Vaccinated: 391 cases per 100,000 people. Of which 36 died.

Non vaccinated: 427 cases per 100,000 people. Of which 121 died.

👍🏻

chiefdave

It's almost like they don't know what they are doing.
From The Times today
Downing Street has insisted that vaccine passports are still a “first-line defence” against a winter wave of Covid-19 after the health secretary said plans to introduce them had been scrapped.

No 10 said checks on the vaccine status of people going to nightclubs and other crowded events remained a crucial part of the government’s winter Covid plan due to be unveiled by the prime minister tomorrow.

hill83

Assuming the only options are close things down or vaccine passports. It’s vaccine passports for me.

Edit: They shouldn’t be the only options but here we are

NorthernWisdom

What I really don't get is why we're talking nuclear options of shutdowns already, before we've even gone for the moderate measures.

And if we're already talking about potential shutdowns, why the hell is just about everybody returning to work in their offices now? Isn't that a bit counter-intuitive to do that right now, while the chat is about stopping people doing other things!

Sick Boy

It’s more to massage figures and increase vaccines - it would make more sense to either distribute elsewhere or hold back for booster requirements. There isn’t really any logic to have 12 year olds jabbed
Blimey, so you think the UK government is now attempting to massage its figures then.

Grendel

Blimey, so you think the UK government is now attempting to massage its figures then.

it’s what Europe are doing by vaccinating children to use quantities and if we go the same route then clearly yes.

Grendel

Not all European countries are vaccinating 12 year olds?

many arw
Not all European countries are vaccinating 12 year olds?

From what I see all major countries - Germany, France, Netherlands, Italy Spain are which is the bulk of the population. in fact very few I can find aren’t

Liquid Gold

Spent the weekend with some friends who have now tested positive so I'm probably next up.

Done a lateral flow that was negative though, got a PCR coming to be sure.

Grendel

So it’s not something that ‘Europe’ is doing then.

Well I’ve now checked some more and the only one in Western Europe I can see that has some restrictions is Sweden

skybluetony176

There’s only one reason we and other countries are having to face vaccinating children. Herd immunity. Not enough adults are getting vaccinated. It takes pretty much 100% of the adult UK population to get vaccinated to achieve the numbers required for herd immunity. If “adults” in any numbers refuse the vaccine you have to look at other options. We’ve tried moving the goalposts from over 18’s to over 16’s still not enough. That only leaves 2 options. “Adults” refusing the vaccine grow the fuck up and take some responsibility for society or we move the goalposts again to catch a larger percentage of the population.

wingy

There’s only one reason we and other countries are having to face vaccinating children. Herd immunity. Not enough adults are getting vaccinated. It takes pretty much 100% of the adult UK population to get vaccinated to achieve the numbers required for herd immunity. If “adults” in any numbers refuse the vaccine you have to look at other options. We’ve tried moving the goalposts from over 18’s to over 16’s still not enough. That only leaves 2 options. “Adults” refusing the vaccine grow the fuck up and take some responsibility for society or we move the goalposts again to catch a larger percentage of the population.
It's a great tool to keep kids in school.
Apparently.

Edit:- is there really any value in one jab?

Does a child who's had it benefit as they've already got antibodies, probably a hell of a lot of them.
Or is it one as a result of likely having infection related antibodies?

wingy

Would a government be thankful that a margin of society wouldn't take a vaccine just in case ten years down the line everyone's chromosomes go on the blink Lol.
Tin hat on.

PVA

giphy.gif

skybluetony176

It's a great tool to keep kids in school.
Apparently.

Edit:- is there really any value in one jab?

Does a child who's had it benefit as they've already got antibodies, probably a hell of a lot of them.
Or is it one as a result of likely having infection related antibodies?
It possibly is a great tool to keep children in school given the adult population isn’t going to allow us to reach herd immunity.

There’s clearly some value in getting one vaccine but not nearly as effective as two. My guess is that they’ll see what effect one vaccine is having on the school population and the spread of the virus before U turning and rolling out a second.

Sick Boy

Don’t really understand why vaccine passports are such a big issue for some. If you don’t want to get vaccinated just get tested and make that valid for 48-72 hours.

Grendel

Boosters to be announced which overall I think is good but AZ have been suggesting it’s not yet necessary other than elderly

clint van damme

Don’t really understand why vaccine passports are such a big issue for some. If you don’t want to get vaccinated just get tested and make that valid for 48-72 hours.

I can't understand why vacinne passports are such a big issue for some but voter ID cards aren't.

COV

Nor me... must be missing something, if people want to get info on you they'll do it anyway- companies/ authorities know everything there is to know anyway, what difference does a vaccine passport make?

chiefdave

Looks like we're back to all CEV, CV and over 50s getting boosters rather than just CEV.

They are saying the plan is still to do them at the same time as flu jabs but there's no start date for the boosters and flu jabs have already started :confused:

jimmyhillsfanclub

TV news this morning stated that boosters would be a single shot of pfizer for all over 50s administered 6 months after their 2nd original jab....

NorthernWisdom

TV news this morning stated that boosters would be a single shot of pfizer for all over 50s administered 6 months after their 2nd original jab....
You over 50 yet? ;)

tbh we're late enough this time around we're probably OK for the coming year (especially if AZ are more confident) and they are saying it'll be an annual programme like flu... which I assume will allow for people pushing 50 but not quite there to pay for one, going forward from 2022!

chiefdave

tbh we're late enough this time around we're probably OK for the coming year (especially if AZ are more confident) and they are saying it'll be an annual programme like flu... which I assume will allow for people pushing 50 but not quite there to pay for one, going forward from 2022!
There's some promising results from tests of a combined flu and covid booster jab. Would be handy if that proves effective.

Users who are viewing this thread