Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (13 Viewers)

Grendel

Haha, who knows. There’s been loads of chat on social media though, clubs weren’t happy so the message was out there

It was claimed on the Marr show.60% of 16 and 17 year olds have had the jab

shmmeee

Haha, who knows. There’s been loads of chat on social media though, clubs weren’t happy so the message was out there

Clubs will be even less happy if they have to close for lockdown again. I think it’s a mistake, take up for U40s is still very low:

1631440821778.png

Sick Boy

You wonder if this was the plan all along to encourage younger people to get jabbed. If so, probably not a bad shout.
I highly doubt it considering their track record.
It’ll be interesting to see how thing progress compared to Italy and the rolling out of the green pass in more and more places. The UK currently has around 8 or 9 times the number of daily cases.

CCFCSteve

Clubs will be even less happy if they have to close for lockdown again. I think it’s a mistake, take up for U40s is still very low:

View attachment 21752

Yeah, it’s a tough one. I’ve said before I’m against mandating/coercing people to take the vaccine (surely the data should be enough for any sane person !!!) however until you can do immediate test results on entrance, passports appear to be the only way to minimise transmission in clubs. I understand the argument that a negative test on the day is the same/possibly even better than double vax but current ones aren’t 100% accurate and rely on honesty of the public !

I’m totally on the fence on this but as you say if clubs have to close again then they’ll wish they supported and encouraged passports

chiefdave

Friday Dowden says they're definitely introducing vaccine passports. 8:30am today Javid says they're yet to make a decision. 9:45am Javid says they defiantly aren't being introduced.

Glad we spent money developing a vaccine passport app and running a pilot event scheme to prove they worked.

A lot of venues and events are vaccinated / proof of test anyway, as the guidance from the government 'encourages' them to do, but as Boardmasters festival showed without an official process its easy to provide 'proof' when you aren't vaccinated and / or haven't had a negative test. Just seems a way for the government to abdicate responsibility.

What happens now to the millions of CEV who have been advised to avoid places where the unvaccinated may be present?

David O'Day

Friday Dowden says they're definitely introducing vaccine passports. 8:30am today Javid says they're yet to make a decision. 9:45am Javid says they defiantly aren't being introduced.

Glad we spent money developing a vaccine passport app and running a pilot event scheme to prove they worked.

A lot of venues and events are vaccinated / proof of test anyway, as the guidance from the government 'encourages' them to do, but as Boardmasters festival showed without an official process its easy to provide 'proof' when you aren't vaccinated and / or haven't had a negative test. Just seems a way for the government to abdicate responsibility.

What happens now to the millions of CEV who have been advised to avoid places where the unvaccinated may be present?
It's a shambles and makes me worry that we are slowly sliding towards a winter lockdown

chiefdave

It's a shambles and makes me worry that we are slowly sliding towards a winter lockdown
Somethings got to give. While we shouldn't be concentrating on cases anymore hospitalisations and deaths are both increasing. Deaths have increased over 25% in the last week alone.

Hospitals are also warning they are already approaching capacity before we factor in the annual winter crisis and the expected rise in covid cases.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah, it’s a tough one. I’ve said before I’m against mandating/coercing people to take the vaccine (surely the data should be enough for any sane person !!!) however until you can do immediate test results on entrance, passports appear to be the only way to minimise transmission in clubs. I understand the argument that a negative test on the day is the same/possibly even better than double vax but current ones aren’t 100% accurate and rely on honesty of the public !

I’m totally on the fence on this but as you say if clubs have to close again then they’ll wish they supported and encouraged passports
It's also the knock-on effect elsewhere. Was reasonably confident Mrs Wisdom being placed in a situation with no restrictions if there'd been a passport for clubs etc, as her passing clientele would then have all ended up vaccinated. Now, however...? Let's hope vaccines *do* actually hold up for a significant length of time past six months, eh...

And that would be OK if you could ensure people would act with consideration towards others. As we see, most do... but there's a significant number who think liberties involve doing what the hell they feel like, and fuck anybody else.

In a general philosophical sense I'd be against a passport but, as it stands, if there's a significant %age who don't give a fuck about their fellow human beings, then I don't see why they should have the right to restrict others' liberties.

But what's most annoying is the leaking to guage reactions. Even worse, I suspect they seek the reactions they want to find, so it's not just populist, but selectively populist!

shmmeee

It's also the knock-on effect elsewhere. Was reasonably confident Mrs Wisdom being placed in a situation with no restrictions if there'd been a passport for clubs etc, as her passing clientele would then have all ended up vaccinated. Now, however...? Let's hope vaccines *do* actually hold up for a significant length of time past six months, eh...

And that would be OK if you could ensure people would act with consideration towards others. As we see, most do... but there's a significant number who think liberties involve doing what the hell they feel like, and fuck anybody else.

In a general philosophical sense I'd be against a passport but, as it stands, if there's a significant %age who don't give a fuck about their fellow human beings, then I don't see why they should have the right to restrict others' liberties.

But what's most annoying is the leaking to guage reactions. Even worse, I suspect they seek the reactions they want to find, so it's not just populist, but selectively populist!

It’s not populist, public support has been pretty constant the last six months.

More likely it’s concerns about a further rebellion from the libertarian side of the party/donors after the NI rise.

shmmeee

In terms of health risk I agree, i was talking in terms of potentially helping to stem the flow/transmission

Yeah same here. Being cold frankly if people get ill now that’s their lookout, but if not getting more people vaccinated is stopping us from beating this thing as a whole we should be using every lever we have to encourage people to get the jab.

Honestly though I don’t know how much a role that plays compared to reduced vaccination efficacy over time and the need for boosters at this point.

Grendel

Somethings got to give. While we shouldn't be concentrating on cases anymore hospitalisations and deaths are both increasing. Deaths have increased over 25% in the last week alone.

Hospitals are also warning they are already approaching capacity before we factor in the annual winter crisis and the expected rise in covid cases.

Aren’t hospitals at about 30% of what they were at the peak - it’s 8,000 versus 34,000 isn’t it?

NorthernWisdom

It’s not populist, public support has been pretty constant the last six months.

More likely it’s concerns about a further rebellion from the libertarian side of the party/donors after the NI rise.
Well, maybe I explained it badly. They throw things out to guage reaction and, when the people they choose to listen to don't like it (and let's face it, the louder voices will be dissenting too, if you're scouring for reaction - that's the case whatever you moot) then that's it, about turn. Crazy, don't even suggest it in the first place if you're not going to do it, and you save half of this waste of all ours' time banging back and forth about what--ifs and maybes.

Grendel

Well, maybe I explained it badly. They throw things out to guage reaction and, when the people they choose to listen to don't like it (and let's face it, the louder voices will be dissenting too, if you're scouring for reaction - that's the case whatever you moot) then that's it, about turn. Crazy, don't even suggest it in the first place if you're not going to do it, and you save half of this waste of all ours' time banging back and forth about what--ifs and maybes.

Vaccine passports are a stupid idea - impossible to police and from an employment perspective potentially discrimination - if the vaccine works its the people who aren’t vaccinated who are mainly at risk. It’s a policy to force vaccinations so just make it illegal not to have it rather than a stick approach by liberty restrictions.

NorthernWisdom

Honestly though I don’t know how much a role that plays compared to reduced vaccination efficacy over time and the need for boosters at this point.
tbf that's what I'd like to hear about, what their long-term plan is. Frankly, I ended up getting mine damned close to their day of freedom, so I ought to be OK this winter regardless. Bit more concerned about Mrs. Wisdom who has health issues, but hopefully (again) any waning is just in whether you catch the thing or not first and foremost.

Next year though, what's their plan? Do it like the flu, where over 50s get it and others can pay for it if they want it? That seems sensible to me at least but... bugger knows if that's an option or not.

Still want to know where the antivirals are, mind you!

And of course if vaccines do end up wearing off and there's no plan to boost *everybody*, then that makes it a bit pointless asking people to get it in the first place, really... unless you are buying time for something else to come along, be it effective anti-viral drugs, or the utopian weak, easily transmissable version of the thing.

skyblue1991

Not sure if posted somewhere on the thread but are there any figures since the 19th July (i.e restrictions lifted in England) of those that have died of Covid as follows

No vaccine
Single jab
Double jabbed

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

PVA

Not sure if posted somewhere on the thread but are there any figures since the 19th July (i.e restrictions lifted in England) of those that have died of Covid as follows

No vaccine
Single jab
Double jabbed

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Yes it was discussed a few days ago, they have now started releasing that data.

Latest figures are in the link in this tweet 👍🏻

shmmeee

The problem is it does have a knock-on in terms of treatment for other illnesses and, as mentioned, vulnerable people etc.

If it was isolated (no pun intended!) they get ill and that's it, then fine... but it's not.

Fair point. Though being even colder I’d be happy to refuse them treatment if they’ve turned down the vaccine at this point. Same as people who refuse to quit smoking or lose weight for surgery.

PVA

This is no dig at shmmeee whatsoever, but how can he say that non vaccinated people should be refused treatment and no one says anything, but when I say they should only receive SSP when isolating I'm worse than Hitler? 😂

Sky Blue Pete

This is no dig at shmmeee whatsoever, but how can he say that non vaccinated people should be refused treatment and no one says anything, but when I say they should only receive SSP when isolating I'm worse than Hitler? 😂
I did. You can’t not treat where do you draw the line

Grendel

Fair point. Though being even colder I’d be happy to refuse them treatment if they’ve turned down the vaccine at this point. Same as people who refuse to quit smoking or lose weight for surgery.

Would you not treat people who haven’t had flu vaccines? STD with no contraception? People who’ve had a reaction to ecstasy they willingly took?

Not really a great way to go

shmmeee

Im not sure I’m serious TBH. But it’s incredibly frustrating that we might end up back in lockdown thanks to these clowns.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Here's what I think will happen:

- Another lockdown will happen in the next few months
- Government will point the finger at the unvaccinated
- Government will then mandate covid passports

clint van damme

Here's what I think will happen:

- Another lockdown will happen in the next few months
- Government will point the finger at the unvaccinated
- Government will then mandate covid passports

Spot on. I wonder if they'll get Nigel Farage to point at the unvaccinated like he does at dinghies in the channel when they scapegoat immigrants?

Evo1883

Nah I think his opinion is fucking woeful , he already knows I think that though so there's no point in going over it

Users who are viewing this thread