Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

clint van damme

They've also disinguinshed between pubs, restaurants and hospitality

I get that though, and I can see the point in separating colleges from schools, but primary from secondary? Do they really fall in to separate categories?

Brighton Sky Blue

I get that though, and I can see the point in separating colleges from schools, but primary from secondary? Do they really fall in to separate categories?

I would say yes because they’re organised in very different ways with well over 1000 on a secondary school site and perhaps a few hundred at primary. Doesn’t alter that they shouldn’t have been open mind you

shmmeee

Apparently track and trace says people are catching it most in Supermarkets.
  • Supermarket - 18.3%
  • Secondary school - 12.7%
  • Primary school - 10.1%
  • Hospital - 3.6%
  • Care home - 2.8%
  • College - 2.4%
  • Warehouse - 2.2%
  • Nursery preschool - 1.8%
  • Pub or bar - 1.6%
  • Hospitality - 1.5%
  • University - 1.4%
  • Manufacture engineering - 1.4%
  • Household fewer than five - 1.2%
  • General practice - 1.1%
  • Gym - 1.1%
  • Restaurant or cafe - 1.0%

Huge jump down to Hospital.

Is that just a percentage of a total or normalised for number of people in those settings?

I mean, everyone goes to supermarkets and there’s thousands of them. A huge chunk go to schools, a lot fewer to hospitals etc.

shmmeee

I would say yes because they’re organised in very different ways with well over 1000 on a secondary school site and perhaps a few hundred at primary. Doesn’t alter that they shouldn’t have been open mind you

From what I’ve seen in my girls primary they can bubble more effectively and control the kids more too. My daughter barely changes room, even to eat. I imagine in secondary that’s a lot harder with subject teachers and lunches and everything. Also teenagers are fucking disgusting at the best of times.

Brighton Sky Blue

From what I’ve seen in my girls primary they can bubble more effectively and control the kids more too. My daughter barely changes room, even to eat. I imagine in secondary that’s a lot harder with subject teachers and lunches and everything. Also teenagers are fucking disgusting at the best of times.

I am sticking in my box but they can do whatever they want with each other. So let me out the fucking box!

David O'Day

Like how they split out education into multiple categories. Probably keen to avoid any questions about why they're still open. Total them up and that's 26.6%

I'd say supermarkets are higher but you are going to only catch the cases were people have the app as supermarkets have masses of people are no attempt at tracking and tracing.

CCFCSteve

Like how they split out education into multiple categories. Probably keen to avoid any questions about why they're still open. Total them up and that's 26.6%

The data has been manipulated throughout this whole mess Dave. The amount of times I’ve seen hospitalisation and death data/graphs where they break down the ages into 10 year increments but then usually do something like lump 18-64 in together. Most accept it as it suits their position/stance or just don’t realise.

Ps shmmeee is right to point out the regularity of attendance of certain places though. Also, I’m still not convinced they can accurately tell where someone has caught it

fernandopartridge

Apparently track and trace says people are catching it most in Supermarkets.
  • Supermarket - 18.3%
  • Secondary school - 12.7%
  • Primary school - 10.1%
  • Hospital - 3.6%
  • Care home - 2.8%
  • College - 2.4%
  • Warehouse - 2.2%
  • Nursery preschool - 1.8%
  • Pub or bar - 1.6%
  • Hospitality - 1.5%
  • University - 1.4%
  • Manufacture engineering - 1.4%
  • Household fewer than five - 1.2%
  • General practice - 1.1%
  • Gym - 1.1%
  • Restaurant or cafe - 1.0%

Huge jump down to Hospital.

No, that is not what it says at all. This is just listing places commonly visited by somebody who has contracted the virus. Unsurprisingly, suipermarkets are high on the list given that most people use them and use them regularly.

The M.E.N. has just said it means you've got an 18% chance of catching it at the supermarket. No wonder the country is going down the pan with that level of comprehension.

Brighton Sky Blue

The data has been manipulated throughout this whole mess Dave. The amount of times I’ve seen hospitalisation and death data/graphs where they break down the ages into 10 year increments but then usually do something like lump 18-64 in together. Most accept it as it suits their position/stance or just don’t realise.

Ps shmmeee is right to point out the regularity of attendance of certain places though. Also, I’m still not convinced they can accurately tell where someone has caught it

I'm sure I saw on some hospitalisation graphs they had to lump in as much as all under 45s into one category because the individual ones are so low.

CCFCSteve

I'm sure I saw on some hospitalisation graphs they had to lump in as much as all under 45s into one category because the individual ones are so low.

Exactly. Unless you lump in groups, numbers are tiny (comparatively) and if people see that theyre less likely to follow measures (kind of understand why they do it but don’t agree with it)

shmmeee

Exactly. Unless you lump in groups, numbers are tiny (comparatively) and if people see that theyre less likely to follow measures (kind of understand why they do it but don’t agree with it)

It’s a tough one because getting across that personal risk doesn’t matter when you’re trying to stop transmission is really hard as it is.

Really hard with data or words to strike that balance between alertness and fear as well.

This pandemic has really shaken my “information wants to be free, speech should be totally free” beliefs and turned me into the CCP 😂

shmmeee

Why the fuck does the pharmacist, the fucking *pharmacist*, wear her mask under her nose?!?

You’d be amazed how many healthcare workers are conspiracy nuts or anti vax too.

One girl at the hospital wears a mask all day for work then takes it off when she leaves to get on the bus home and says to the driver she can’t wear them. 🤦‍♂️

NorthernWisdom

You’d be amazed how many healthcare workers are conspiracy nuts or anti vax too.

One girl at the hospital wears a mask all day for work then takes it off when she leaves to get on the bus home and says to the driver she can’t wear them. 🤦‍♂️
The security guard was wondering up and down with no mask, too. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and accept he has a reason, but if so, wtf are they doing putting him in the role where he covers most space, with less screens between him and everyone else.

Not the most comfortable of experiences!

Still, at least I can see a dentist this time. Shame I have to endure the pain until Monday...

SBT

No, that is not what it says at all. This is just listing places commonly visited by somebody who has contracted the virus. Unsurprisingly, suipermarkets are high on the list given that most people use them and use them regularly.

The M.E.N. has just said it means you've got an 18% chance of catching it at the supermarket. No wonder the country is going down the pan with that level of comprehension.

The Sun is also reporting it as "Supermarkets are most common place to catch Covid", which is crazy. It's one thing for Nick to get mixed up, but quite another for the Health Reporter at the country's best-selling newspaper to screw it up that badly.

fernandopartridge

The Sun is also reporting it as "Supermarkets are most common place to catch Covid", which is crazy. It's one thing for Nick to get mixed up, but quite another for the Health Reporter at the country's best-selling newspaper to screw it up that badly.
I can see the headline

"YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE. Data from boffins at the Test and Trace service shows that 100% of those infected had slept within the previous 24 hours"

CCFCSteve

As the posting on this thread appears to have dropped (to coincide with the more positive news ?!). A little update...

7 day confirmed case average is down (supported by separate surveys/sampling) - it appears this was at least levelling off before the national lockdown

Hospital (Covid) occupancy is down three consecutive days for the first time in weeks/months

ICU (Covid) occupancy has levelled off

Vaccine appears to be close to roll out - us gambling on early/pre ordering of six vaccines appears to have been a wise move.

Sadly deaths are still relatively high at an average of 400-500 per day over the week (but nowhere near the 4k per day doomsday scenario and actually overall deaths are not dissimilar to usual/average for this time of year ie I’m guessing covid will unfortunately have a disproportionate effect on those over a certain age/health that would ordinarily be susceptible to seasonal flu)

Good news all round. Fingers crossed it keeps coming

Ps if anyone’s interested about the modelling/the scientific advice then the programme on bbc2 (Lockdown) is worth a watch.

Brighton Sky Blue

Better and more positive. Take it as you see it though

Best case scenario for me would be 'normal' teaching allowed to resume in the spring and an unrestricted wedding in the summer. Worst case teaching in a box with no practicals all year and wedding restricted. Could very much do with something to look forward to.

Grendel

I think I’m going to puke

wingy

So what absolute no per 100000 do we think or expect to be sensible or viable for a carefree Christmas in 5 week's time .

Edit:- bearing in mind 10 week's ago it was down to 3 per 100000k when it all kicked off again.

Users who are viewing this thread