Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (9 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Keep pubs, restaurants and gyms shut till after January 4th

chiefdave

We don't learn do we? Things got opened up after the last lockdown and it all went to shit. Now there's people wanting to open up because its Xmas.

Is the virus having a break for the holidays?

Liquid Gold

We don't learn do we? Things got opened up after the last lockdown and it all went to shit. Now there's people wanting to open up because its Xmas.

Is the virus having a break for the holidays?
You think we should have stayed locked down since March? If that's what they asked of people then nobody would be listening anymore. A country our size with the population and population density isn't going to eliminate it so we need to manage it, part of that is making restrictions reasonable so that people comply.

Grendel

You think we should have stayed locked down since March? If that's what they asked of people then nobody would be listening anymore. A country our size with the population and population density isn't going to eliminate it so we need to manage it, part of that is making restrictions reasonable so that people comply.

Well said. Dave thinks he can stay at home for months and months and keeps wanting the government to daily wipe his arse. He also of course wants food and has no issue with other people taking chances as long as Dave is alright

NorthernWisdom

We were frustratingly close from suppressing it to a proper low last time out though, would have probably only taken a couple more weeks. That could have given us more leeway this time out, made it far easier to relax for Christmas.

Wouldn't you say a bit longer / tougher restriction in exchange for releasing them for longer / releasing more restrictions is a fair exchange?

It'd be pretty careless to open everything up early for Christmas if the consequence of that was we all shut down forever and a day afterwards, wouldn't it?

Grendel

We were frustratingly close from suppressing it to a proper low last time out though, would have probably only taken a couple more weeks. That could have given us more leeway this time out, made it far easier to relax for Christmas.

Wouldn't you say a bit longer / tougher restriction in exchange for releasing them for longer / releasing more restrictions is a fair exchange?

It'd be pretty careless to open everything up early for Christmas if the consequence of that was we all shut down forever and a day afterwards, wouldn't it?

Do you honestly think any countries leaders in Western Europe agree? Why has all major countries shown the same trend of infections regardless of the dates of lockdown? This just suppresses before another rise. Other than Germany show one country in Europe thats dating better

NorthernWisdom

Do you honestly think any countries leaders in Western Europe agree? Why has all major countries shown the same trend of infections regardless of the dates of lockdown? This just suppresses before another rise. Other than Germany show one country in Europe thats dating better
If we look at deaths per million population, the answer is just about everybody.

And we're being caught up by the likes of Italy because they've not gone as strict or reacted so quickly this time around.

chiefdave

Not at all. But I think the science should have led the way. Obviously we put ourselves if a difficult position to start off with by locking down late the first time round. But once the numbers started dropping opening things up was fine. Not sure I'd have let people jet off on holiday, that seemed asking for trouble.

The issue is we keep ignoring the experts. All summer there was one after another coming out saying if we're going to insist on opening up education something else would need to close to offset it. That was ignored and the numbers started shooting up. Then we had weeks of the experts saying a two week lockdown was needed immediately to stop numbers rising. Ignored again.

Now without even knowing what impact the current lockdown is having people are talking about having minimal restrictions in place for Xmas. This would mean we'd have to rely on people being sensible and that seems unlikely to work.

Grendel

Not at all. But I think the science should have led the way. Obviously we put ourselves if a difficult position to start off with by locking down late the first time round. But once the numbers started dropping opening things up was fine. Not sure I'd have let people jet off on holiday, that seemed asking for trouble.

The issue is we keep ignoring the experts. All summer there was one after another coming out saying if we're going to insist on opening up education something else would need to close to offset it. That was ignored and the numbers started shooting up. Then we had weeks of the experts saying a two week lockdown was needed immediately to stop numbers rising. Ignored again.

Now without even knowing what impact the current lockdown is having people are talking about having minimal restrictions in place for Xmas. This would mean we'd have to rely on people being sensible and that seems unlikely to work.

What country hasn’t done what we have done across Western Europe?

I would say have a day off but I think you’ve had far too many days off

Also get real everyone is ignoring it across Europe now anyway and at Christmas will totally rebel

Grendel

If we look at deaths per million population, the answer is just about everybody.

And we're being caught up by the likes of Italy because they've not gone as strict or reacted so quickly this time around.

Other than Germany the curve is the same and unless you want people arrested for having Christmas dinner with their families we need to move on as most people will just say fuck off

Liquid Gold

We all knew this lockdown was on its way and I think they delayed that one too much too. I'd have put a 6 week lockdown in probably 2 or 3 weeks earlier than the Gov did which would have hopefully surprised it enough so that we can try and enjoy ourselves for a few weeks ready to bunker down again in the new year.

We have to do what we can to protect people but we also have to do what we can to stop life being so fucking depressing.

shmmeee

Just running this thought up the flagpole as the cunts say. Schools and football snd the like seems especially bad as it’s the same people meeting regularly in large numbers. Too late to figure out the stats but surely that makes contact more likely than more random encounters?

Liquid Gold

Just running this thought up the flagpole as the cunts say. Schools and football snd the like seems especially bad as it’s the same people meeting regularly in large numbers. Too late to figure out the stats but surely that makes contact more likely than more random encounters?
Even if they started letting some clubs have fans in we'd be back of the queue as they wouldn't want to be seen to be encouraging thousands of people to go form one city to another, mingle in pubs and then a stadium and head back to another city.

Grendel

Even if they started letting some clubs have fans in we'd be back of the queue as they wouldn't want to be seen to be encouraging thousands of people to go form one city to another, mingle in pubs and then a stadium and head back to another city.

Yeah we’d be banned whatever

NorthernWisdom

We all knew this lockdown was on its way and I think they delayed that one too much too. I'd have put a 6 week lockdown in probably 2 or 3 weeks earlier than the Gov did which would have hopefully surprised it enough so that we can try and enjoy ourselves for a few weeks ready to bunker down again in the new year.

We have to do what we can to protect people but we also have to do what we can to stop life being so fucking depressing.
I don't disagree. I'd also argue go hard go fast would be better both for the economy, and for life. Waiting and waiting before reluctantly implementing just draws out the misery.

Users who are viewing this thread