Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

David O'Day

So what was different that the people who voted for him two years earlier wouldn't vote for him then?

Other than Brexit policy (which was almost certainly the biggest factor and would've seen them vote that way regardless of the person at the helm) what else had changed?

I reckon it was people had got familiar with him, just like they do everytime. Clegg was a 'breath of fresh air' then people quickly went off him. Same would happen to Starmer. Once the 'new' veneer wears off they'd have the same complaints, as they would with any of the other candidates for the leadership.

one strange thing i noticed was how much the AS claims had an effected in 2019. Being told by folk who relly couldn't give a rats about AS they could vote for him because it was weird

wingy

I'm fairly sure this has been going on for a while tbf .
Watch charity in hillfields has been taking Gregg's unsold product to distribute lo visitors.
Bigger player's have been redistributing supermarket produce as far as I'm aware.

clint van damme

He’s being doing the rounds on TV this morning and it’s been an absolute car crash. He’d have been better of just deleting the series of tweets and issuing an apology by way of a statement. When you’re in a hole stop digging.

tried to deny tweeting something that millions of people had read and that thousands had screen shotted.
Then I remembered his boss is a serial liar who tried to deny saying something that he was filmed saying by the UK media so I see where he got his inspiration from.

shmmeee

So what was different that the people who voted for him two years earlier wouldn't vote for him then?

Other than Brexit policy (which was almost certainly the biggest factor and would've seen them vote that way regardless of the person at the helm) what else had changed?

I reckon it was people had got familiar with him, just like they do everytime. Clegg was a 'breath of fresh air' then people quickly went off him. Same would happen to Starmer. Once the 'new' veneer wears off they'd have the same complaints, as they would with any of the other candidates for the leadership.

The Russia response and antisemitism basically:YouGov: Corbyn popularity plummets after anti-Semitism row

pipkin73

Talking of Supermarket food waste, i had the roof down on my Jeep a while back and when i got back to it one of the Hyperdino supermarkets by me had put a sack of food in my back seat (it's was parked on the way to the bins). Shit loads of steaks, pork and Chicken etc.... never found out which one but it fed me and my neighbours for about 2 weeks. Just shows how it can help if they don't dump the food.

chiefdave

The one thing I am finding a little encouraging is that I've noticed that various experts are increasingly talking about when, not if, we will be rolling out the vaccine. Have also seen several talk about it starting to be rolled out by Xmas. That's a big change from the way they were talking about a potential vaccine at some unspecified point in the future a few weeks ago. Is there something behind that? Probably just wishful thinking.
Seems that staff at George Eliot have received a memo from the chief exec, Glen Burley, regarding vaccinations:
Our Trust, alongside NHS organisations nationally, has been told to be prepared to start a Covid-19 staff vaccine programme in early December.

The latest intelligence states a coronavirus vaccine should be available this year with NHS staff prioritised prior to Christmas.
Fingers crossed there is something to this and not just a case of crossed wires. Think knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel would be great for people. Might also help persuade people to stick to the rules if they know there's an end in sight.

chiefdave

I believe due to supply issues
Don't think anyone expected to have it rolled out to everyone by Xmas. Not even Johnson has claimed that has he? If they're planning to start this year I'd take that as good news as I was thinking next spring was looking optimistic.

Would think that if you can cover NHS workers, elderly and vulnerable by the start of the summer then as the percentage of people vaccinated increases things can gradually start opening up and going back to normal.

No doubt there will be an option to queue jump for those with the money. Given that there was talk of tests costing £200 plus when you couldn't get an appointment wouldn't be surprised if queue jumping the vaccine came with a price tag in the thousands.

Kieranp96

Seems that staff at George Eliot have received a memo from the chief exec, Glen Burley, regarding vaccinations:

Fingers crossed there is something to this and not just a case of crossed wires. Think knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel would be great for people. Might also help persuade people to stick to the rules if they know there's an end in sight.
In Boris Johnsons last press conference they were mentioning People would likely be receiving vaccines by Xmas and then it will be rolled out in bigger numbers in spring.

wingy

Here he is two months ago.
Also exposes the hypocrisy on t&t when the emphasis on free meals for kids is best served through LA's but t&t nationally through a private body.
Anyhow.

There were chaotic scenes at airports and ferry terminals across Europe this summer as Brits rushed to get home before quarantine rules – sometimes announced just hours before taking effect – kicked in.
One group of holidaymakers even chartered a boat across the Channel to beat the deadline for arrivals from France after missing the last ferry.
As it stands, anyone arriving in the UK from overseas must isolate for two weeks when they get here. If you’re symptom-free at the end of that time, you can end isolation – and you don’t need to take a coronavirus test.
Passengers from some countries are exempt, but that list is constantly changing as the government gets new information about local outbreaks overseas.
It was reported in late August that airline bosses had written to the Health Secretary Matt Hancock to say that the current quarantine policy is hampering the economic recovery and “leaves those who have travelled abroad unable to return to work, prevents business travel, and suppresses inbound tourism.” They called instead for a much shorter quarantine period, bookended by testing.
And there is some evidence – including from the government’s own modelling – that shorter isolation periods combined with testing could be just as effective as the current regime.
So why is the government sticking with the 14-day quarantine

djr8369

because people like Cummings etc are actually shit at politics outside of their culture war bubble
I think this is a culture war play. Plays into the benefit scrounges and handouts narrative. Look at how many Tory MPs took the same line about FSM vouchers going towards drugs etc. It’s an horrendous, cynical game to drive another wedge in the population.

David O'Day

I think this is a culture war play. Plays into the benefit scrounges and handouts narrative. Look at how many Tory MPs took the same line about FSM vouchers going towards drugs etc. It’s an horrendous, cynical game to drive another wedge in the population.

nah kids are a terrible culture war target and it's not driving a wedge anywhere apart from between tories and voters

It's just a government who can't be seen to let Labour win anything even if it will starve kids

shmmeee

January will be interesting. That 40% Brexit vote has stuck rigidly to the Tories so far. I wonder what will happen when they finally get Brexit done, or if we’ll have perpetual Brexit to keep voters scared and onside 🤔

Brighton Sky Blue

January will be interesting. That 40% Brexit vote has stuck rigidly to the Tories so far. I wonder what will happen when they finally get Brexit done, or if we’ll have perpetual Brexit to keep voters scared and onside 🤔

The parties have been tied for a while now which tells me a well aimed strike at the right time by Starmer could put Labour ahead, or that a vaccine will put the Tories back ahead. Think Covid trumps Brexit still

djr8369

nah kids are a terrible culture war target and it's not driving a wedge anywhere apart from between tories and voters

It's just a government who can't be seen to let Labour win anything even if it will starve kids
Agreed it’s a terrible target but I think this government are best understood by looking at their decisions through the culture war lens. As you point out yourself it’s the only game Cummings knows. They end up U-turning on everything eventually so letting labour win doesn’t seem a viable explanation. Look at the situation with Burnham. All those negotiations and the support turns up anyway, the whole thing was an orchestrated charade to create some scape goats.

chiefdave

While getting results quickly is obviously a good thing the cynic in me fears we're a step away from a £120 a time charge for attending events, seeing family etc.

shmmeee

Think they'll push for the latter.

Thats what I’m thinking:

December: Last minute thin gruel deal achieved and hailed as massive success by press.

Jan: Say we need to negotiate full deal and this will be proper Brexit, should last the next five years.

Users who are viewing this thread