Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (48 Viewers)

chiefdave

All eyes on the central belt in Scotland where there has been a partial lockdown which is equivalent to a Level 3 Lockdown in England for a while now.

Doesn't look like there has been any changes in reversing the course of the virus just slowing it down in the areas which are most affected.
Which is exactly what the experts have been saying would be the outcome of local lockdown while they have pushed for a national lockdown. Of course they've also been pushing that a national lockdown needs to happen ASAP to be effective, and that started weeks ago.

You could argue that making a complete mess of it the first time can be, at least partially, excused this time round there's nothing that lets the government off the hook.

Ian1779

The north is fucking angry

They should be angry with the Tories for the way they’ve abandoned them. They should be angry with Labour for abandoning the mandate of democracy last year, and they should be a little angry with themselves for trusting Tories in the first fucking place. The ideology of Brexit laid the way for this clusterfuck.

CCFCSteve

Ridiculous. Lending rates are rock bottom. Even the IMF are saying austerity now is insane. Accidentally adding too much demand into the economy right now would not be the worst thing.

If you won’t spend now, in the middle of a pandemic, when will you? Now is not the time for ideology.

Again, unsurprising on here... a comment being taken out of context. I’d said local lockdowns should be properly/better supported (and thought Burnham was right to push for more for Manchester) however, I don’t agree with a national lockdown...which he weirdly also supported.

By the way though, if we moved to a national circuit break/lockdown and put everyone in certain sectors even on 80%, rather than maintaining properly supported local lockdowns (which I have advocated if you read the posts) that actually takes demand out of the economy (As many people will get 80% rather than 100% of their salaries). So does closing restaurants, bars etc etc in areas that have low transmission rates, some of which may not reopen, people lose jobs etc etc.

We’ve borrowed 200bn in six months so far this year and there’s more to come. It will be the younger generation (low risk and having their lives disproportionately disrupted, in some cases ruined) paying this back. I have no issue with borrowing more, especially at such low rates, hence me also commenting that I’ve written to Andy Street twice regarding additional support for certain sectors, but it’s still got to be used effectively/wisely ...that’s not ideology, that’s common sense !

Ps Unfortunately this thread has just become a bit of an echo chamber, spreading misery and whipping each other up into a weird frenzy (thought that only used to happen on match day threads !!!). Unless you fall 100% in line, forget it. It’s bizarre !

NorthernWisdom

Where have low rates? I just tried Devon and Suffolk (traditionally low rates) and they're heading up to and beyond 50 per 100k... which was a high rate vefore we reclassified!

I can find a small pocket of Somerset that's 24.

OK, it's stabbing randomly, but there aren't exactly many places with a low rate... until the scales have been re-jigged to suit the current narrative.

David O'Day

Where have low rates? I just tried Devon and Suffolk (traditionally low rates) and they're heading up to and beyond 50 per 100k... which was a high rate vefore we reclassified!

OK, it's stabbing randomly, but there aren't exactly many places with a low rate... until the scales have been re-jigged to suit the current narrative.

cornwall and the isle of wight are in the 20s for the whole counties

Whats going on in Derry and Strabane with it's over 800 cases per 100k

CCFCSteve

You must be furious with some of the contracts the government has handed out since March?

yeah, the track and trace isn’t working and probably should follow a more localised approach (which I’ve said before). I’ve also said before that Hancock and Harding should’ve gone.

David O'Day

Again, unsurprising on here... a comment being taken out of context. I’d said local lockdowns should be properly/better supported (and thought Burnham was right to push for more for Manchester) however, I don’t agree with a national lockdown...which he weirdly also supported.

By the way though, if we moved to a national circuit break/lockdown and put everyone in certain sectors even on 80%, rather than maintaining properly supported local lockdowns (which I have advocated if you read the posts) that actually takes demand out of the economy (As many people will get 80% rather than 100% of their salaries). So does closing restaurants, bars etc etc in areas that have low transmission rates, some of which may not reopen, people lose jobs etc etc.

We’ve borrowed 200bn in six months so far this year and there’s more to come. It will be the younger generation (low risk and having their lives disproportionately disrupted, in some cases ruined) paying this back. I have no issue with borrowing more, especially at such low rates, hence me also commenting that I’ve written to Andy Street twice regarding additional support for certain sectors, but it’s still got to be used effectively/wisely ...that’s not ideology, that’s common sense !

Ps Unfortunately this thread has just become a bit of an echo chamber, spreading misery and whipping each other up into a weird frenzy (thought that only used to happen on match day threads !!!). Unless you fall 100% in line, forget it. It’s bizarre !

It's not weird that Burnham supports a wider lockdown, he has said this all the way.

We can afford to pay back whatever we need to spend and most of it will be borrowed from the BoE anyway so will never need to be paid back.

The irony of attacking people for not agreeing with you as well

CCFCSteve

relatively low rates....as in insufficient to justify closing everything down in a location. People quote numbers without thinking about them (not necessarily you NW) like billions being thrown around like it’s nothing. 50 or 100 people per 100,000 !!!! That means in a city the size of coventry, about 160 or 320 people. Yep, close it down.

ps I know Coventry has a higher rate ! I also agree that as numbers creep up in areas additional measures should be taken, as the virus is likely to start to spread more rapidly, especially if there are hospital capacity issues.

Last edited:

Ian1779

We can afford to pay back whatever we need to spend and most of it will be borrowed from the BoE anyway so will never need to be paid back.

How often does this point get ignored/played down/hidden.

There doesn’t have to be a massive debt for future generations to pay off.

CCFCSteve

It's not weird that Burnham supports a wider lockdown, he has said this all the way.

The irony of attacking people for not agreeing with you as well

Not attacking anyone, talking about the thread. I’m just saying it’s bizarre.

So burnhams happy for people in lower transmission areas to potentially be put out of work and/or receive a lower proportion of their salary (some of which may be struggling already). Yeah, makes sense

Last edited:

Ian1779

So burnhams happy for people in low transmission areas to potentially be put out of work and/or receive a lower proportion of their salary (some of which may be struggling already). Yeah, makes sense
Isn’t his entire point that no one should be struggling..... because the Government support should be adequate to stop this being the case?

David O'Day

How often does this point get ignored/played down/hidden.

There doesn’t have to be a massive debt for future generations to pay off.

Because people like to spout off about magic money trees, well kids there is a magic money tree and it's the BoE.

David O'Day

The people getting triggered about Burnham wanting an extra 10/20m are the same people that have essentially glossed over giving 12b to Serco for nothing.

No credibility whatsoever.

Same folk who'll defend giving over 100 million to a company only found weeks before

tisza

They should be angry with the Tories for the way they’ve abandoned them. They should be angry with Labour for abandoning the mandate of democracy last year, and they should be a little angry with themselves for trusting Tories in the first fucking place. The ideology of Brexit laid the way for this clusterfuck.
maybe a little bit angry at themselves as it's there where many of these high rates have been for a consistent period of time?

fernandopartridge

I'd suggest you read 'The Deficit Myth' by Stephanie Kelton. There is no 'debt' pass down to anybody, that's a myth. The UK government 'borrowing' money solely denominated in £ sterling could 'repay' it all tomorrow.

Sky Blue Pete

So burnhams happy for people in low transmission areas to potentially be put out of work and/or receive a lower proportion of their salary (some of which may be struggling already). Yeah, makes sense
There are only medium areas there are no low areas

CCFCSteve

I'd suggest you read 'The Deficit Myth' by Stephanie Kelton. There is no 'debt' pass down to anybody, that's a myth. The UK government 'borrowing' money solely denominated in £ sterling could 'repay' it all tomorrow.

Will have a read

David O'Day

But again, that's only because they've rijigged their scales, because they don't want to have a lockdown.

That's not following the science, that's manipulating the statistics.

aye the lowest places have levels where a month ago they would have been placed under further restrictions

Users who are viewing this thread