Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (48 Viewers)

David O'Day

my understanding from what I’ve read, gov said you’re going into tier 3 and heres the support packaging similar to Liverpool, AB rejected saying he won’t support unless they get more, gov concerned that without local mayor support lockdown won’t be enforced/adhered to, continued negotiations, negotiations failed.

a load a politics chucked in but think that’s the long and the short of it.
couldn't be more wrong

CCFCSteve

couldn't be more wrong

Just saying that’s what I’d read. What’s wrong ? AB wanted more money, government didn’t want to give more support.

ps if you read earlier posts I said I supported his position by the way (apart from that he said he wanted a national lockdown/circuit break which would’ve meant paying off certain sectors of the whole country furlough (whether that would be his 80% or governments 60%) even in areas where there’s low case numbers. Which we can’t afford. I’d rather focus on local lockdowns and support properly. I’ve already written to Andy Street twice about additional support needed for certain sectors

Brighton Sky Blue

Have they finally given up on claiming schools have no impact on the spread?

The line is now ‘schools are essential to children’s well-being’ because the ‘save the economy’ line fails if you’re forcing large numbers to stay home anyway.

fernandopartridge

Just saying that’s what I’d read. What’s wrong ? AB wanted more money, government didn’t want to give more support.

ps if you read earlier posts I said I supported his position by the way (apart from that he said he wanted a national lockdown/circuit break which would’ve meant paying off certain sectors of the whole country furlough (whether that would be his 80% or governments 60%) even in areas where there’s low case numbers. Which we can’t afford. I’d rather focus on local lockdowns and support properly. I’ve already written to Andy Street twice about additional support needed for certain sectors
You talk about Andy Burnham as if he represents a private entity looking for a contract, not the mayor of the second biggest metropolitan area and largest city region economy outside London.

NorthernWisdom

The line is now ‘schools are essential to children’s well-being’ because the ‘save the economy’ line fails if you’re forcing large numbers to stay home anyway.
If it's as dangerous as they say, when does the argument actually get noticed that bringing it back to parents / grandparents ain't great for their wellbeing...?

CCFCSteve

You talk about Andy Burnham as if he represents a private entity looking for a contract, not the mayor of the second biggest metropolitan area and largest city region economy outside London.

FFS, I can’t win ! I’ve said I support what he was trying to do Fernando, I was texting briefly whilst trying to cook my tea so I can watch the match, sorry if I didn’t present the position in greater detail/more clearly 🤷‍♂️😂

David O'Day

Who was trying to get the poorest in his region a deal they can live on. It also has fuck all to do with politics as there are some quite right wing tories fighting the same fight with him.

Brighton Sky Blue

If it's as dangerous as they say, when does the argument actually get noticed that bringing it back to parents / grandparents ain't great for their wellbeing...?

Also, and I don’t know if I’ve mentioned, the ‘teaching’ they are getting is some bastardised form delivered from a box

chiefdave

Surely you arrange a package of measures for each restriction. Bars closed? Furlough for hospitality kicks in. Etc etc.

There seems to be some weird effort to penny pinch and play politics on this issue when the government can do what it wants. Just grow some balls and take some decisions.
That's certainly your starting point. Although it then gets more complicated as you deal with suppliers and businesses indirectly impacted by forced closures.

Part of the problem seems to be that other countries have been able to tweak already in place systems where we've had to quickly come up with something from scratch. Maybe after all this is over we'll stop saying a life on benefits is an easy ride and look at putting something better in place.

I don't understand how its so random. They were offered £60m and said that wasn't enough so now they get £22m. Its also being reported, although not sure its confirmed, the £22m is all for test and trace, no support for people and businesses impacted.

CCFCSteve

Who was trying to get the poorest in his region a deal they can live on. It also has fuck all to do with politics as there are some quite right wing tories fighting the same fight with him.

Of course it’s politics, all politicians want to even seen to be fighting for their constituents, whatever party they belong to. I also can’t see the government not giving Manchester what was previously offered (if what all reports are saying is correct). As i say, a lot of politics thrown in

chiefdave

I know the government seem to be able to do anything and people still support them but surely people have to now start asking questions.

chiefdave

Would love to know how they've worked out £22m. It has all the appearance of exactly what Burnham said, the least they can get away with.

Manchester regions gets £22m for 2.8m people. Lancashire got £42m for 1.5m people and Merseyside £44m for 1.5m people.

chiefdave

Remember a month ago when Whitty was accused of scaremongering for saying we could hit 200 deaths a day by November without taking action? 213 in England alone today.

shmmeee

Ridiculous. Lending rates are rock bottom. Even the IMF are saying austerity now is insane. Accidentally adding too much demand into the economy right now would not be the worst thing.

If you won’t spend now, in the middle of a pandemic, when will you? Now is not the time for ideology.

Philosorapter

Remember a month ago when Whitty was accused of scaremongering for saying we could hit 200 deaths a day by November without taking action? 213 in England alone today.

Yes, was just coming on here to post 241 reported deaths for today. A huge jump from the previous figures.

I personally feel we are already past the last roll of the dice to stop a major loss of life in this.

All eyes on the central belt in Scotland where there has been a partial lockdown which is equivalent to a Level 3 Lockdown in England for a while now.

Doesn't look like there has been any changes in reversing the course of the virus just slowing it down in the areas which are most affected.

It is still too early to see if a lockdown has had any effect but the rate of infection is still going up and increasing in the neighbouring local authorities next to the ones which are causing concern making an even bigger area of concern.

I just believe they are trying to put off a national lockdown for as long as possible.

This can't continue for much longer.

When people are dying and it is just statistics then you need to worry.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes, was just coming on here to post 241 reported deaths for today. A huge jump from the previous figures.

I personally feel we are already past the last roll of the dice to stop a major loss of life in this.

All eyes on the central belt in Scotland where there has been a partial lockdown which is equivalent to a Level 3 Lockdown in England for a while now.

Doesn't look like there has been any changes in reversing the course of the virus just slowing it down in the areas which are most affected.

It is still too early to see if a lockdown has had any effect but the rate of infection is still going up and increasing in the neighbouring local authorities next to the ones which are causing concern making an even bigger area of concern.

I just believe they are trying to put off a national lockdown for as long as possible.

This can't continue for much longer.

When people are dying and it is just statistics then you need to worry.

As long as they keep schools open it’s not going to get better. Then they will ruin everything else and wonder why the cases keep going up

Users who are viewing this thread