Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (13 Viewers)

Kieranp96

They turned down more apparently. I quite like Burnham and he’s right to stand up for Manchester, however, he’s been all over the shop over the past few days. The way I read it, he was happy for the whole country to be lockdown down but not for Manchester to go into Tier three and has then subsequently accused the government of manipulating hospital admissions stats to I increase worry/panic (ie suggesting they aren’t that bad) - probably correct ! Which one is it mate ?!

If it’s true that the city’s confirmed cases are decreasing and dependent on hospital capacity (if he’s right and it’s running at similar levels to normal for this time of year) I’d side with Burnham on this....without the bullshit efforts to drag the rest of the country into a lockdown. He can’t have it both ways though
Feel free to ask anyone in Cov hospital admissions are flying up.

CCFCSteve

Feel free to ask anyone in Cov hospital admissions are flying up.

Yeah, no doubt they’ll be increasing everywhere. Its gaging capacity. I think Burnham was indicating there wasn’t an immediate capacity issue (whilst the government was)....if there was as NW says fannying around for a week ‘negotiating’ wasn’t in anyone’s interests. I don’t know who’s right.

Kieranp96

Yeah, no doubt they’ll be increasing everywhere. Its gaging capacity. I think Burnham was indicating there wasn’t an immediate capacity issue (whilst the government was)....if there was as NW says fannying around for a week ‘negotiating’ wasn’t in anyone’s interests. I don’t know who’s right.
Both right, shouldn't be no negotiation should be a set figure for certain a mount of people, the goverment will be bailing most people out with wages anyway well 60%.

CCFCSteve

Both right, shouldn't be no negotiation should be a set figure for certain a mount of people, the goverment will be bailing most people out with wages anyway well 60%.

Think it’s getting additional support for businesses (grants etc.) for those that have to close - which should be being provided

skybluetony176

They turned down more apparently. I quite like Burnham and he’s right to stand up for Manchester, however, he’s been all over the shop over the past few days. The way I read it, he was happy for the whole country to be lockdown down but not for Manchester to go into Tier three and has then subsequently accused the government of manipulating hospital admissions stats to I increase worry/panic (ie suggesting they aren’t that bad) - probably correct ! Which one is it mate ?!

If it’s true that the city’s confirmed cases are decreasing and dependent on hospital capacity (if he’s right and it’s running at similar levels to normal for this time of year) I’d side with Burnham on this....without the bullshit efforts to drag the rest of the country into a lockdown. He can’t have it both ways though
So because he turned it down the government are punishing the people of Greater Manchester? Sounds very childish and irresponsible bordering on dictatorship.

CCFCSteve

So because he turned it down the government are punishing the people of Greater Manchester? Sounds very childish and irresponsible bordering on dictatorship.

Dont know the detail. Would be surprised if they don’t end up getting the same package as elsewhere (Liverpool etc)

shmmeee

Fuckloads to hide. There’s only one way to get a grip on this virus escalating and yet they remain in denial about doing it.

The sooner they admit that exams can’t be done fairly for all the better. Put all that energy and time into creating an adequate system and then scrutinising the input from school in a comprehensive manner.

And hire exam markers to help!

skybluetony176

I was told today that the only reason Liverpool has gone into tier 3 is because the Carillon hospital is still waiting to be finished meaning that Liverpool has missing capacity. Any truth in this?

shmmeee

Agreed, but I get why they are negotiating can't give somewhere with say 300k population the same as somewhere with 5m population.

Surely you arrange a package of measures for each restriction. Bars closed? Furlough for hospitality kicks in. Etc etc.

There seems to be some weird effort to penny pinch and play politics on this issue when the government can do what it wants. Just grow some balls and take some decisions.

NorthernWisdom

Surely you arrange a package of measures for each restriction. Bars closed? Furlough for hospitality kicks in. Etc etc.

There seems to be some weird effort to penny pinch and play politics on this issue when the government can do what it wants. Just grow some balls and take some decisions.
It is, tbf, in response to the criticism that they weren't consulting.

But how do you consult on this? We're closing everything down Andy. Alright.

To be clear, they should be consulting with the local health officuals, and following the science!

Kieranp96

I wonder if they extended furlough for another 6 months or so would of been cheaper than negotiating packages for every local council.

NorthernWisdom

It is a kind of scientific feature of the effect of a lockdown that, if disease levels are higher when you effect the lockdown, the effect will be less, overall, than if the lockdown is inflicted at a point when disease level is much lower.

I wouldn't expect the same magnitude of effect if it were done now as if it were done early in September or mid-September

Sky Blue Pete

My mate 5 days in hospital so far certainly no worse so that’s good. Still on oxygen. Update was he was in the gym and swimming the night before. Came on overnight like a truck

CCFCSteve

It is, tbf, in response to the criticism that they weren't consulting.

But how do you consult on this? We're closing everything down Andy. Alright.

To be clear, they should be consulting with the local health officuals, and following the science!

my understanding from what I’ve read, gov said you’re going into tier 3 and heres the support packaging similar to Liverpool, AB rejected saying he won’t support unless they get more, gov concerned that without local mayor support lockdown won’t be enforced/adhered to, continued negotiations, negotiations failed.

a load a politics chucked in but think that’s the long and the short of it.

chiefdave

They turned down more apparently.
Where have you seen they turned down more? Most of the reports I've seen suggest they were getting close to a deal only for the government to move the goalposts.

Burnham and Leese (leader of Manchester Council), put out a joint statement saying.
We went into today's meeting with the government with a positive and unanimous view amongst Greater Manchester leaders that we should seek a resolution as soon as possible.

We had been encouraged by earlier discussions at an official level where the idea of a Hardship Fund, to top up furlough payments and support the self-employed, had been tabled by the government.

It was both surprising and disappointing when this idea was taken off the table by the secretary of state.
I quite like Burnham and he’s right to stand up for Manchester, however, he’s been all over the shop over the past few days. The way I read it, he was happy for the whole country to be lockdown down but not for Manchester to go into Tier three and has then subsequently accused the government of manipulating hospital admissions stats to I increase worry/panic (ie suggesting they aren’t that bad) - probably correct ! Which one is it mate ?!
Its all of the above and I don't think that view is inconsistent. He isn't against lockdown, his point is you can't force businesses to close and not support them and their employees.

The thing about hospitals was that No 10 were pushing to the press that Manchester hospitals are imminently going to be overwhelmed but they seem to be doing that without actually consulting with the hospitals who say they ICU occupancy is comparable to this time last year.

clint van damme

my understanding from what I’ve read, gov said you’re going into tier 3 and heres the support packaging similar to Liverpool, AB rejected saying he won’t support unless they get more, gov concerned that without local mayor support lockdown won’t be enforced/adhered to, continued negotiations, negotiations failed.

a load a politics chucked in but think that’s the long and the short of it.

he should have asked Dido Harding to take over from him, they'd have sent Manchester billions.

chiefdave

It looked like a well orchestrated hit job on Burnham. Besides that it showed the data reflecting that students and school kids have passed the virus on to the older age groups so admissions now rising in the latter. Students still are the highest new case demographic
Have they finally given up on claiming schools have no impact on the spread?

CCFCSteve

Where have you seen they turned down more? Most of the reports I've seen suggest they were getting close to a deal only for the government to move the goalposts.

Burnham and Leese (leader of Manchester Council), put out a joint statement saying.

Its all of the above and I don't think that view is inconsistent. He isn't against lockdown, his point is you can't force businesses to close and not support them and their employees.

The thing about hospitals was that No 10 were pushing to the press that Manchester hospitals are imminently going to be overwhelmed but they seem to be doing that without actually consulting with the hospitals who say they ICU occupancy is comparable to this time last year.

in most press about 60m being offered

ps they’ll get that anyway. It’s all just politics bollocks from both sides

Users who are viewing this thread