Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (31 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

But again, that's only because they've rijigged their scales, because they don't want to have a lockdown.

That's not following the science, that's manipulating the statistics.

Agreed. From memory additional restrictions got implemented in Birmingham after going over 100 or 150 per 100,000. This was 10pm curfew non mixing of households. I think Bolton was over 250 when bars were closed (and could only serve takeaways).

my comparison was between very high risk ie Liverpool/Manc, requiring lockdown and closure of hospitality, gyms etc (now looks like around 400-500+) and various areas of the country substantially below that. I’ve said I don’t agree with locking down those other areas yet (and didn’t know why Burnham did either, which upset David 😊)

CCFCSteve

It is interesting though previous to this second wave 20 per 100000 was a cause for concern it’s now not a concern up to 150 or even 170 as in coventry

Yeah, never understood the 20 per 100000 to be added to UK quarantine list. Looks a bit silly when we’re at current numbers !!

ps think the Cov numbers are a concern, guess they will be moved to Tier two (no household mixing) in coming days if they’ve not been already. It’s all levels as confusing as it might be....I didn’t make the rules

chiefdave

my comparison was between very high risk ie Liverpool/Manc, requiring lockdown and closure of hospitality, gyms etc
Don't speak too soon
But it doesn't really matter what the restrictions are if they aren't enforceable.
Police chiefs say they are “struggling” to enforce the latest Covid-19 restrictions which have brought “greater confusion”.

Progress in aligning the law with guidance has been plunged into reverse by Boris Johnson’s new three-tiered system, the National Police Chiefs’ Council said.

It means that, in tier 2 and 3 areas, the regulations bar people from separate households from meeting in a pub, or other indoor setting – but police guidance still says that is allowed.

“Introducing them in the way that we have done has introduced greater confusion – that’s exactly the crux of the issue here,” admitted Owen Weatherill, from the NPCC, adding: “We are all struggling with that.”

Mr Weatherill revealed the NPCC had pleaded with the government for clearer rules, telling MPs: “That is what I thought was going to happen 10 days ago.”

Kieranp96

The people getting triggered about Burnham wanting an extra 10/20m are the same people that have essentially glossed over giving 12b to Serco for nothing.

No credibility whatsoever.
You say that but I just got my covid test results back, that I had done via the NHS a d guess what I entered the # given to me on the track and trace and it worked, it also gave me an alert that my friend tested positive after she got her results back after I spent a little bit of time with her.

Took 2 days to get the results back. Not bad for a system that doesn't work.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It is a shame Labour have been so shit for such a long time. If they had some decent competition we wouldn't have these inept twats in power now. There needs to be a third fresh option I think.

If there was a general election tomorrow I actually think Boris and his cronies would be in for defeat.

Brighton Sky Blue

Where have low rates? I just tried Devon and Suffolk (traditionally low rates) and they're heading up to and beyond 50 per 100k... which was a high rate vefore we reclassified!

I can find a small pocket of Somerset that's 24.

OK, it's stabbing randomly, but there aren't exactly many places with a low rate... until the scales have been re-jigged to suit the current narrative.

When London was leading the infections the whole country had to close. When the North leads them, it should be localised-hmmm

Kieranp96

It is a shame Labour have been so shit for such a long time. If they had some decent competition we wouldn't have these inept twats in power now. There needs to be a third fresh option I think.

If there was a general election tomorrow I actually think Boris and his cronies would be in for defeat.
I agree there's noone in labour that's worth shit atm, but disagree I actually think Boris would still stay in.

CCFCSteve

When London was leading the infections the whole country had to close. When the North leads them, it should be localised-hmmm

I’d imagine with hindsight, London would’ve gone in and out of lockdown sooner and North later. Who knows though. The fact that we exited at the same time is apparently part of the issue with the Norths virus resurgence

....having said all that the London palladium was open last week, looking busy with mainly higher risk aged people....yet we can’t have (limited capacity) football in an outdoor arena ?!

chiefdave

Back in June there was criticism from SAGE that the effectiveness of track and trace was being hit by a failure to deliver results within 24 hours. Johnson promised that by the end of the month all results would be given within 24 hours.

Ian1779

I don’t agree sadly - Brexit hasn’t been done, and for that alone he will get a free ride, because he’d claim he’s still got a job to do...

Skybluefaz

It would also help if people didn't hoover up the lies from the Tories like a line of Columbia's finest. I think people are starting to see the oven ready shit for what it is now. It is too late for a lot of people unfortunately. Agree to an extent about Labour. They have made it easier than it should have been.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’d imagine with hindsight, London would’ve gone in and out of lockdown sooner and North later. Who knows though. The fact that we exited at the same time is apparently part of the issue with the Norths virus resurgence

....having said all that the London palladium was open last week, looking busy with mainly higher risk aged people....yet we can’t have (limited capacity) football in an outdoor arena ?!

With hindsight a lockdown of London initially would have made more sense and be a lot easier to enforce tightly. But Boris knows that the North is expendable as the votes he got there aren’t essential

NorthernWisdom

I’d have Starmer over Boris in an instant
Yeah it's a ridiculous thing to say isn't it. Whatever your misgivings over policy, demeanour etc. there's somebody with a proven track record of competence in his career, over a bumbling magalomaniac who doesn't do detail.

The choice is betwen having a vacuous posh boy full of hot air, or not. I'll take the not, thankyou very much.

And that also applies to wanting May, Cameron (through gritted teeth), Hague, Major in there instead. While we're at it, Jeremy Hunt etc. can come above too.

It's a nonsense to say that this is the best option, because it patently isn't.

Ian1779

You say that but I just got my covid test results back, that I had done via the NHS a d guess what I entered the # given to me on the track and trace and it worked, it also gave me an alert that my friend tested positive after she got her results back after I spent a little bit of time with her.

This is what I mean... the glossing over the fact it’s still a mediocre app at best, has been littered with fuck ups - but obviously still more beneficial to give £12b to a private company than to the people that will end up jobless and homeless.

CCFCSteve

With hindsight a lockdown of London initially would have made more sense and be a lot easier to enforce tightly. But Boris knows that the North is expendable as the votes he got there aren’t essential

Think they’re probably needed for a majority though. This messy situation with the North is bad for Tories

NorthernWisdom

Think they’re probably needed for a majority though. This messy situation with the North is bad for Tories
Ah but Brexit, ah but Covid. It's a perfect circle that'll somehow end up without responsibility falling at the feet of those in charge.

Incidentally (and again, ignoring policy) it was refreshing to hear Sturgeon say yesterday that the buck for decisions ultimately stopped with her. That's such an obvious truth it shouldn't need saying, but somehow our prime minister gets to avoid responsibility.

David O'Day

Why can't people grasp the basic concept that a short sharp break is better economically than drifting towards most of the country being perpetual tier 3 restrictions.

NorthernWisdom

Why can't people grasp the basic concept that a short sharp break is better economically than drifting towards most of the country being perpetual tier 3 restrictions.
Alas, we've missed the slot for a short, sharp one.

Jonathan Van-Tam said:
It is a kind of scientific feature of the effect of a lockdown that, if disease levels are higher when you effect the lockdown, the effect will be less, overall, than if the lockdown is inflicted at a point when disease level is much lower,

I wouldn't expect the same magnitude of effect if it were done now as if it were done early in September or mid-September.

fernandopartridge

The level of 'borrowing' is way below what the OBR forecast was to date in any case:

Why is Sunak closing the Furlough Scheme again?

chiefdave

China, the first country to see an outbreak of coronavirus, is beginning to see the roll out of its emergency Covid-19 vaccine to members of the public ahead of the winter months.

It’s big news today in the country that the city of Shaoxing in eastern Zhejiang province, which has a population of around five million people, is now allowing non-priority groups to apply online for a Covid-19 vaccine.

They must be aged 18-59, and the vaccine is being priced at an affordable 200 yuan (£23; $30) per dose. There is an additional inoculation fee of 28 yuan.

Earlier this week, other cities in Zhejiang including Yiwu and Jiaxing unveiled plans for local residents to receive vaccinations. However, state media stress that these systems are being carefully managed to prioritise high-risk groups.
Wonder what they're injecting people with?

Users who are viewing this thread