Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (10 Viewers)

Ian1779

I do think they’re prioritising teachers. God knows though. Just saw an MP on Twitter saying the same as me and saddlebrains had: nothing at all online but empty test centres that won’t take you unless you book online.
I don’t think this is the case round my neck of the woods. Don’t seem to be tests available for anyone, key worker or not, and Northampton is supposed to be one of the at risk areas.

shmmeee

I don’t think this is the case round my neck of the woods. Don’t seem to be tests available for anyone, key worker or not, and Northampton is supposed to be one of the at risk areas.

It might be pure chance what happened with my ex then. Silly me for expecting some level of sophistication from the system TBF.

xcraigx

Are the testing problems being mirrored across Europe? The UK has tested twice as many as France & Italy, 50% more than Germany too so how are we being so swamped? My facebook feed is full of people getting upset because they can't get a test and i'm in an area where we had 26 cases out of a population of 150,000 last week.

A neurotic population? A population scared silly by the media? Or is it really spreading more than the numbers suggest?

Brighton Sky Blue

Are the testing problems being mirrored across Europe? The UK has tested twice as many as France & Italy, 50% more than Germany too so how are we being so swamped? My facebook feed is full of people getting upset because they can't get a test and i'm in an area where we had 26 cases out of a population of 150,000 last week.

A neurotic population? A population scared silly by the media? Or is it really spreading more than the numbers suggest?

It’s because we’re approaching a time where people are getting ill with actually symptomatic illnesses

Ian1779

It might be pure chance what happened with my ex then. Silly me for expecting some level of sophistication from the system TBF.

Who’s to say it’s isn’t just that variation from place to place. Northampton hasn’t been a particular bright spot for organisational excellence over the last 12 months....

xcraigx

It’s because we’re approaching a time where people are getting ill with actually symptomatic illnesses

Then in which case we're buggered really. There's no hope testing will be able to cope with everyone who has a cough a month or so from now. Cases where people actually have COVID will not be discovered and it'll run rampant throughout the population.

clint van damme

Then in which case we're buggered really. There's no hope testing will be able to cope with everyone who has a cough a month or so from now. Cases where people actually have COVID will not be discovered and it'll run rampant throughout the population.

Don't worry, with the rule of 6, covid Marshalls and our world class testing we'll be fine

Brighton Sky Blue

As will the common cold and the flu, which to be blunt will in all probability do me and the people I teach more harm.

fernandopartridge

How do you know that? The gov still doesn't publish the number of people tested

David O'Day

"Rule of six" question.

Does it apply to businesses as well? I need to go the barbers soon and by barbers have 4 chairs. that means there could possibily be up to 8 people in there? Is this allowed?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I'm beginning to wonder if all this testing is something of a red herring. If there was no problem in getting a test would cases be on the rise again ? There's nothing to suggest they wouldn't.
They can test people for fun but if we as a population aren't being careful it's all a waste of time.

Sick Boy

So, what’s the general feeling around the current situation in the UK and outlook over the next few months?

Selfishly I’ve not been able to come back to see family all year and am really hoping I can come back for a few weeks at Christmas. Trying to get a feeling for how realistic that is
Same for me, was talking to my parents earlier and it seems like a different world compared to here right now. I was supposed to be going back in October but that’s doubtful - I reckon next Spring is realistic - psychologically it’s very tough.

robbiekeane

Same for me, was talking to my parents earlier and it seems like a different world compared to here right now. I was supposed to be going back in October but that’s doubtful - I reckon next Spring is realistic - psychologically it’s very tough.
Totally get you.
I don’t think I can wait until next spring to be honest - if it impacts my current job then so be it. Can’t see how it would as worst case scenario I’ll just work shitty hours from the UK.
I’ll come back at Christmas, get a test as soon as I’m back and hang in a hotel for a couple days until I get the result I think.

Saddlebrains

Cheers shmmeee but personally I've given up now. Basically put the onus on work, sent them the screenshots of being unable to book a test, said to them i cant afford to miss 10 days so either i come in and they break government advice and potentially have me infect others,which of course i would take further, or i stay at home as i should do and they pay me

You can imagine the response i got.... looked at my schedule which now says 'authorised paid absence- covid shielding'.

Macca1987

There doesn't seem to be any joined up approach. Talking to my sister last night, most of the family have come down with coughs and colds, 111 said they all have to be tested, admittedley they managed to get tests, all came back negative, now the great nephew has a cough, my niece phoned the school and said we've all been tested and have the same bug and we are all clear, school told her he still had to be tested and if she sent him in and he coughed more than two or three times in an hour they would send him home. Yet the government are complaining running out of testing capacity because people who haven't got the right symptoms are being tested

Sky Blue Pete

There doesn't seem to be any joined up approach. Talking to my sister last night, most of the family have come down with coughs and colds, 111 said they all have to be tested, admittedley they managed to get tests, all came back negative, now the great nephew has a cough, my niece phoned the school and said we've all been tested and have the same bug and we are all clear, school told her he still had to be tested and if she sent him in and he coughed more than two or three times in an hour they would send him home. Yet the government are complaining running out of testing capacity because people who haven't got the right symptoms are being tested
New continuous cough is one of the symptoms though isn’t it? But I understand what you’re saying and the frustration and confusion and the school managing the risk as it presents

Macca1987

New continuous cough is one of the symptoms though isn’t it? But I understand what you’re saying and the frustration and confusion and the school managing the risk as it presents
Don;t blame the school at all, they are following guidelines, but there doesn't seem to be a sensible joined up approach from all of the agencies and it just frustrates the hell out of people. I luckily haven't experienced anything myself in my household yet,

Sky Blue Pete

Don;t blame the school at all, they are following guidelines, but there doesn't seem to be a sensible joined up approach from all of the agencies and it just frustrates the hell out of people. I luckily haven't experienced anything myself in my household yet,
Same although my symptoms were runny nose and sneezing. I think if one of my kids had gone in they may well have been sent home. Feel much better this morning. Used the only quiz and it said look yourself and don’t bother getting a test so I said ok

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
This is the trouble though, the symptoms are so varied people will inevitably think they've got 'it' whereas last year with the same symptoms, people would have just put it down to a cold and gone into school/work fine.

This combined with asymptomatic people spreading Covid obliviously, it's a perfect shit storm.

CCFCSteve

If they’re running at lab capacity (anyone know what this is, I know it says 380k but that can’t be right for the labs ?) then there’s not a lot we can do for the time being. If we’re not, then Hancock and the lady running it need to go as it’s unacceptable. Hancock should just come out and explain clearly the numbers of requests every day, the capacity and what they are doing to increase capacity (think new labs due to go live soon).

People are understandably nervous so are getting tested when they almost certainly won’t have it (as numbers suggest). Unfortunately as BSB alluded to, this is now cold/flu season so it’s going to keep happening with ever larger numbers (which no country, not even a Germany could probably handle)

Brighton Sky Blue

If they’re running at lab capacity (anyone know what this is, I know it says 380k but that can’t be right for the labs ?) then there’s not a lot we can do for the time being. If we’re not, then Hancock and the lady running it need to go as it’s unacceptable. Hancock should just come out and explain clearly the numbers of requests every day, the capacity and what they are doing to increase capacity (think new labs due to go live soon).

People are understandably nervous so are getting tested when they almost certainly won’t have it (as numbers suggest). Unfortunately as BSB alluded to, this is now cold/flu season so it’s going to keep happening with ever larger numbers (which no country, not even a Germany could probably handle)

Hospitals and other essential services won’t be able to run if staff are all off waiting for tests. Then again the government could easily have foreseen this scenario and they did a half arsed job.

Saddlebrains

Might start kicking off at UHCW now.

Cardiology mate had first confirmed case that was on a ward. Always the potential for that kind of thing to spread like wildfire 😳

fernandopartridge

I am fairly sure that NHS labs have got capacity but Hancock and Harding insist on the tests from Pillar 2 to go to a selection of private labs ('the lighthouse laboratories').

Users who are viewing this thread