Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (31 Viewers)

skybluesam66

Currently much fewer dying than of normal flu or pneumonia
Yet social distancing etc should also prevent normal flu
I am the ever optimist and do believe by February we will all be through this, and baby steps until then

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I just don't buy it that a virus has mutated so quickly, I'd like to but just can't see it

I can. If you look at how quickly stuff like this replicates and each replication is the equivalent of a new 'generation' the virus will have gone through millions of 'generations' during that time which in human terms would be like us not having evolved(mutated) from prehistoric times.

NorthernWisdom

but cases up in several parts of the region, it definitely seems to have lost some of its venom for whatever reason. Hopefully that carries on.
I'd have thought the hotter weather helps, immune systems up. If we get to October/November and things are still under control, then happy days. Can't see that though and, until that, got to make sure people don't get complacent and allow it a way in.

clint van damme

I'd have thought the hotter weather helps, immune systems up. If we get to October/November and things are still under control, then happy days. Can't see that though and, until that, got to make sure people don't get complacent and allow it a way in.

it could be that, or as I put in a post yesterday it could be that people are being infected with lower viral loads just to the precautionary measures that they're taking. Either way, as you say, far too early to let the guard down.

NorthernWisdom

it could be that, or as I put in a post yesterday it could be that people are being infected with lower viral loads just to the precautionary measures that they're taking. Either way, as you say, far too early to let the guard down.
Yup, we're all lacking contact with, well... anybody!

As an aside, I've ended up with an infection. How is this even possible?!? My house (and me!) have never been so well scrubbed and disinfected!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If it were down to low viral loads it would bring the potential of using an active vaccine, esp in younger age groups. But that would rely on immunity being reasonably long lasting, which isn't certain at this stage.

shmmeee

I can. If you look at how quickly stuff like this replicates and each replication is the equivalent of a new 'generation' the virus will have gone through millions of 'generations' during that time which in human terms would be like us not having evolved(mutated) from prehistoric times.

Mutations happen every time any organism reproduces. It’s just chance whether they make it fitter for purpose and proliferate. As you say, more reproduction = more mutations = quicker fitness.

That BBC report suggests the dominant mutation makes it more contagious but not more or less deadly.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Mutations happen every time any organism reproduces. It’s just chance whether they make it fitter for purpose and proliferate. As you say, more reproduction = more mutations = quicker fitness.

That BBC report suggests the dominant mutation makes it more contagious but not more or less deadly.

Makes sense really. A strain that can be caught more easily will inevitably end up infecting more people than another less contagious one. Plus if it's less deadly a single person will be able to move around more and survive longer, thus spreading it for a longer period and in more places.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

One thing I had a thought over this. Is there a correlation between people who've had their tonsils removed and how seriously they get infected? They are after all there as a kind of early defence mechanism.

Brighton Sky Blue

As a consequence of his awful handling of the outbreak, support for Scottish Indy is now almost +10 in a series of polls. Mr ‘One Nation Tory’ is on course to be the last PM if he keeps it going. Those who told us we were scaremongering about the Union after the election take note

Saddlebrains

As a consequence of his awful handling of the outbreak, support for Scottish Indy is now almost +10 in a series of polls. Mr ‘One Nation Tory’ is on course to be the last PM if he keeps it going. Those who told us we were scaremongering about the Union after the election take note

They've had their chance at independence amd never do. They always shit the bed. All mouth from the sweaties

fernandopartridge

They've had their chance at independence amd never do. They always shit the bed. All mouth from the sweaties
They've had one go at it, 6 years ago since then a lot has changed. It was 55:45 in favour of remaining part of the union then. When the implications of no deal Brexit start to be felt who knows what will happen.

shmmeee

Had to laugh listening to Brandon Lewis talk about both independence and Brexit this morning.

I don’t know why more interviewers don’t pick up on the inherent hypocrisy.

“Scotland is stronger in a Union because of the close economic ties and cooperation”

“Polls don’t mean anything, they’re a snapshot in time ... we had a poll and it’s settled for a generation”

clint van damme

Had to laugh listening to Brandon Lewis talk about both independence and Brexit this morning.

“Scotland is stronger in a Union because of the close economic ties and cooperation”

“Polls don’t mean anything, they’re a snapshot in time ... we had a poll and it’s settled for a generation”

George Galloway makes me laugh, want independence for everyone except Hong Kong and Scotland!

Brighton Sky Blue

You can argue for or against both, but arguing for one and against the other is logically inconsistent

skybluetony176

You can argue for or against both, but arguing for one and against the other is logically inconsistent
Standard for a Tory. Clap for the NHS, vote against the NHS. You must wear masks in shops, you don’t have to wear masks in certain shops now a government minister has been caught out not wearing a mask in a shop, you must stay at home and self isolate, unless you’re a government advisor in need of an eye test. Etc etc. All governments in my lifetime have demonstrated hypocrisy from time to time but this government has turned it into a full time occupation.

Brighton Sky Blue

Standard for a Tory. Clap for the NHS, vote against the NHS. You must wear masks in shops, you don’t have to wear masks in certain shops now a government minister has been caught out not wearing a mask in a shop, you must stay at home and self isolate, unless you’re a government advisor in need of an eye test. Etc etc. All governments in my lifetime have demonstrated hypocrisy from time to time but this government has turned it into a full time occupation.

My lifetime Tory voting dad said ‘they’re making it up as they’re going aren’t they, flipping useless’. He’ll still vote for them in ‘24 though.

The guidance about masks and takeaways is that you don’t have to wear one if you’re eating in but do if you’re taking it away. So you don’t have to wear one when in there for longer but do if you’re popping in and out. 6 months in and the messaging is still piss poor

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But I reckon the goalposts have moved significantly.

After the last indy ref when all these promises were made to them to stay and the second they did it turned into a "what does this mean for England" it caused a massive upsurge in interest. 2010GE only had 6 SNP, 2015GE 56SNP. Part of that will also be down to the collapse of the LD, but normally you'd have expected most to go to Labour. Instead they pretty much all went with a party with one overriding policy.

Brexit is seeing them leave the EU against their will because England has a much higher population and thus drowns them out.

Now you've got a load of Tory (who they despise) charlatans who give the impression they see the other home nations as second/third class turning everything they touch to shit and with such a huge majority likely to remain there for the next decade.

If you gave the Scots and Welsh indy votes tomorrow overwhelmingly they'd leave.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

My lifetime Tory voting dad said ‘they’re making it up as they’re going aren’t they, flipping useless’. He’ll still vote for them in ‘24 though.

The guidance about masks and takeaways is that you don’t have to wear one if you’re eating in but do if you’re taking it away. So you don’t have to wear one when in there for longer but do if you’re popping in and out. 6 months in and the messaging is still piss poor

I guess it is difficult to eat with a mask on though.

shmmeee

After the last indy ref when all these promises were made to them to stay and the second they did it turned into a "what does this mean for England" it caused a massive upsurge in interest. 2010GE only had 6 SNP, 2015GE 56SNP. Part of that will also be down to the collapse of the LD, but normally you'd have expected most to go to Labour. Instead they pretty much all went with a party with one overriding policy.

Brexit is seeing them leave the EU against their will because England has a much higher population and thus drowns them out.

Now you've got a load of Tory (who they despise) charlatans who give the impression they see the other home nations as second/third class turning everything they touch to shit and with such a huge majority likely to remain there for the next decade.

If you gave the Scots and Welsh indy votes tomorrow overwhelmingly they'd leave.

I thought there wasn’t much appetite in Wales,mostly thanks to the large contingent of retiredEnglish people. Has that changed?

Now NI...

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I thought there wasn’t much appetite in Wales,mostly thanks to the large contingent of retiredEnglish people. Has that changed?

Now NI...

Certainly much less than in Scotland. But the handling of coronavirus and the fact the Tories are likely to be in power for ages would swing it in a 'can't be any worse can it?' way.

NI - really don't want that to gain momentum purely for the fact it'd kick everything off again. In NI those that want to stay REALLY want to stay and those that want independence REALLY want independence. So either way it'd cause problems.

Brighton Sky Blue

The SNP used to do best in rural areas but is now the party of the central belt and Dundee. Those rural areas are now back to Tory/LD because they are mostly socially conservative and the SNP wants to portray everyone in Scotland as a woke leftie.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The SNP used to do best in rural areas but is now the party of the central belt and Dundee. Those rural areas are now back to Tory/LD because they are mostly socially conservative and the SNP wants to portray everyone in Scotland as a woke leftie.

Still got 48 seats last time and went up after a fall in 2017. Nothing from the govt since will have done anything to quieten that down.

skybluetony176

Certainly much less than in Scotland. But the handling of coronavirus and the fact the Tories are likely to be in power for ages would swing it in a 'can't be any worse can it?' way.

NI - really don't want that to gain momentum purely for the fact it'd kick everything off again. In NI those that want to stay REALLY want to stay and those that want independence REALLY want independence. So either way it'd cause problems.
The next assembly elections will be a big test. If Sinn Fein take control of the assembly either on it’s own or as part of a republican alliance a referendum has to take place under the terms of the GFA. I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens. Northern Ireland has been quietly been going through a political revolution for a while now and brexit is far from the biggest factor. You now have a generation of voters who didn’t live through the troubles but are educated on them enough to know that they can’t return to them and see a united ireland as a way of achieving that so the historical allegiance of voting based on religion has gone. You also have the small issue of LGBT rights and pro choice for women, people look to both the rest of the U.K. and Ireland and see Northern Ireland in comparison as backward and not looking likely to change why dinosaurs such as Foster are in charge. The only way they can change this is with a United ireland. Traditional party loyalties are becoming a thing of the past.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The next assembly elections will be a big test. If Sinn Fein take control of the assembly either on it’s own or as part of a republican alliance a referendum has to take place under the terms of the GFA. I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens. Northern Ireland has been quietly been going through a political revolution for a while now and brexit is far from the biggest factor. You now have a generation of voters who didn’t live through the troubles but are educated on them enough to know that they can’t return to them and see a united ireland as a way of achieving that so the historical allegiance of voting based on religion has gone. You also have the small issue of LGBT rights and pro choice for women, people look to both the rest of the U.K. and Ireland and see Northern Ireland in comparison as backward and not looking likely to change why dinosaurs such as Foster are in charge. The only way they can change this is with a United ireland. Traditional party loyalties are becoming a thing of the past.

I get that but I also think those that haven't lived through the Troubles fully appreciate the potential a united Ireland has in reigniting them. It'd bring the absolute nutjobs out of the woodwork.

I'm not saying it won't happen but I very much doubt it'd be a peaceful process.

Brighton Sky Blue

Still got 48 seats last time and went up after a fall in 2017. Nothing from the govt since will have done anything to quieten that down.

I agree the Tories just keep making it worse, but you can’t conflate the (densely populated) central belt with the largely conservative rest of the country. I suspect the Borders would vote heavily to stay in the UK, as would Orkney and Shetland. In which case there would be a strong case to move the border north and keep the islands. That is if Ms Sturgeon really means what she says about self determination.

skybluetony176

I get that but I also think those that haven't lived through the Troubles fully appreciate the potential a united Ireland has in reigniting them. It'd bring the absolute nutjobs out of the woodwork.

I'm not saying it won't happen but I very much doubt it'd be a peaceful process.
Brexit is already doing that. Look what’s happening in Derry. Republicans are going to be fighting for more than one cause and some of those causes cross religion and the loyalists are a dying breed even amongst there own traditional community. The orange order is in a massive decline and that’s mostly down to no new fresh blood coming through.

Brighton Sky Blue

Brexit is already doing that. Look what’s happening in Derry. Republicans are going to be fighting for more than one cause and some of those causes cross religion and the loyalists are a dying breed even amongst there own traditional community. The orange order is in a massive decline and that’s mostly down to no new fresh blood coming through.

I think polling on both sides have shown that Brexit will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. COVID probably amplifies it further

skybluetony176

I think polling on both sides have shown that Brexit will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. COVID probably amplifies it further
TBH from what I’m hearing from my own family yes brexit is a concern especially as my family mostly live in border towns and those that don’t work south of the border work in industries that rely on cross border trade but for the younger generation especially on the larger national scale they don’t want to be governed by dinosaurs and see the south as a beacon of hope in that respect.

Users who are viewing this thread