Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (57 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

TBH from what I’m hearing from my own family yes brexit is a concern especially as my family mostly live in border towns and those that don’t work south of the border work in industries that rely on cross border trade but for the younger generation especially on the larger national scale they don’t want to be governed by dinosaurs and see the south as a beacon of hope in that respect.

They may wish to be reminded of which side of the sea legalised gay marriage first and which tends to be less socially conservative.

NorthernWisdom

Why on earth is it compulsory to wear a mask in shops, but not for the shop workers? Not like they aren't coming into contact with people.

And why on earth can I go in a museum or library, and that is apparently OK without one?!? They're still indoors!

Ian1779

Why on earth is it compulsory to wear a mask in shops, but not for the shop workers? Not like they aren't coming into contact with people.

And why on earth can I go in a museum or library, and that is apparently OK without one?!? They're still indoors!
I’m wondering why in a month I have to return to indoor work with over 1000 kids but I can’t wear one... I don’t even get the option.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I remember one of my friends in the Czech Republic telling me that she no longer had to wear a face mask, this was literally months ago.

Look at us just starting to do it. Interesting that some retailers say they won't enforce it.

We should have had this months ago along with shutting the borders. Bringing in masks now is like the quarantine thing they did. Absolutely pointless and far too late.

fernandopartridge

I remember one of my friends in the Czech Republic telling me that she no longer had to wear a face mask, this was literally months ago.

Look at us just starting to do it. Interesting that some retailers say they won't enforce it.

We should have had this months ago along with shutting the borders. Bringing in masks now is like the quarantine thing they did. Absolutely pointless and far too late.
It's late but isn't completely pointless, the virus is still circulating so it might help to avoid a catastrophic second spike. That said, pretty illogical really when pubs are open.

ajsccfc

I think most people will do so but whether it will be enforced with people who don't, I'm not convinced. It was about 50/50 between people wearing masks and not in the supermarket today, although maybe it being the first day you can allow for people needing to get into the habit

clint van damme

report out today says it's unlikely you can get Covid19 twice.
I think most people will do so but whether it will be enforced with people who don't, I'm not convinced. It was about 50/50 between people wearing masks and not in the supermarket today, although maybe it being the first day you can allow for people needing to get into the habit

I just nipped to my local shop with no mask on, totally forgot until I was paying. Apologised to the lady and said I'd remember for next time.

NorthernWisdom

It's late but isn't completely pointless, the virus is still circulating so it might help to avoid a catastrophic second spike. That said, pretty illogical really when pubs are open.
Pretty illogical when it's only certain public spaces too. I understand that a face mask is a pointless thing if you're eating, but if I'm looking at a painting...?!?

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Thing is, there's no real point unless everybody does it, who's able to do it. Otherwise you're just heroically protecting the people who can't be arsed from yourself, and they're still a risk to you!

chiefdave

Sainsbury and Asda have said they won't be enforcing the facemask rule so that's two places to avoid.

Don't really get the people who are complaining because they don't know how long the rule will stay in place. As far as I'm concerned not really massively bothered if its permanent as long as the science backs that up. Asian counties have kept using them since the SARS outbreak and it doesn't seem to stop them doing anything.

Would be interesting to see if the numbers for things like colds and flu have dropped in those countries where mask wearing has become the norm in the last few years.

fernandopartridge

I went to my local Aldi this morning and only saw one person without a mask

ajsccfc

Thing is, there's no real point unless everybody does it, who's able to do it. Otherwise you're just heroically protecting the people who can't be arsed from yourself, and they're still a risk to you!

That's all you can do really, do your bit and just hope you avoid enough dickheads to steer clear of it. Even when it first started and arguably seemed a lot more terrifying, the amount of people you'd see not giving a single shit about it was depressing

clint van damme

Sainsbury and Asda have said they won't be enforcing the facemask rule so that's two places to avoid.

Don't really get the people who are complaining because they don't know how long the rule will stay in place. As far as I'm concerned not really massively bothered if its permanent as long as the science backs that up. Asian counties have kept using them since the SARS outbreak and it doesn't seem to stop them doing anything.

Would be interesting to see if the numbers for things like colds and flu have dropped in those countries where mask wearing has become the norm in the last few years.

On 5live it said there were some asdas giving out masks on entry
Maybe they're telling staff not to challenge anyone who belligerently refuses to wear one

fernandopartridge

That's all you can do really, do your bit and just hope you avoid enough dickheads to steer clear of it. Even when it first started and arguably seemed a lot more terrifying, the amount of people you'd see not giving a single shit about it was depressing
There are plenty of people who will remain like that until it directly affects them, but I think on the whole most people take it seriously.

chiefdave

There are plenty of people who will remain like that until it directly affects them, but I think on the whole most people take it seriously.
Its an odd attitude. Don't really understand the whole 'you can't tell me what to do' thing. That's exactly what the laws of the land are for. Try going into the supermarket with no clothes on and I bet you wouldn't get very far.

NorthernWisdom

Its an odd attitude. Don't really understand the whole 'you can't tell me what to do' thing. That's exactly what the laws of the land are for. Try going into the supermarket with no clothes on and I bet you wouldn't get very far.
I do have a certain sympathy with the argument that we've effectively been put under house arrest for a few months, and that's a dangerous precedent to give the state so much control.

That being said, masks are nothing compared to everything else that's happened, so it seems a very strange thing to get hung up on! Sure, they're uncomfortable and a bit awkward, but I'll get used to it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ask not what the c*nts can do for you, ask what you you can do for the c*unts

skyblue1991

Did a food shop tonight, Morrisons in Binley.

Fucking weird seeing everybody wearing masks. There were one or two not adhering mind but nothing the staff can do I don't think

CCFCSteve

Johnson changed his mind and is ordering all civil service departments to escalate getting back into their offices. Knobhead

Not really Pete, we need to try to get back to some kind of normality so why shouldn’t they go back to their offices ? It’s been ok for supermarket workers, NHS workers etc etc to work through the peak and be around vast numbers of people who might have covid but not ok for people to go back to offices (who are likely to be following various distancing/prevention measures) when current infection numbers are low ?

I’ve avoided the misery of this thread for a while as any bit of good news is usually like finding a needle in a haystack but thought Id post just to bring some perspective to the numbers, horrific as they are.

• Theres at least one pre existing health condition in over 90% of Covid deaths
  • If you are obese you are three times more likely to die from covid and seven times more like to need a ventilator
  • Up to 31 May, there were zero deaths in the age range 0-14 years where Covid was the underlying cause
  • Out of every 100 people who die from Covid between 85-90 are over the age of 65
  • Only around two out of every 100 deaths are under the age of 50
There are also a number of social, cultural and ethnic impacts on the numbers some of which are unlikely to impact a vast number of people

I’ll let far brighter people on here than me crunch the numbers any which way they want but we live in a population of say 70m, they reckon anywhere between 3m-6m have probably had Covid, yet only say 5k-6k of working age population have died from it, a vast majority of which have had at least one pre existing condition and/or were obese.

There will always be heart breaking anomalies, as there are with many unfair early deaths but people who want to stop the country getting back to some kind of normal need to take a reality check, by doing so, far more people will have their lives damaged/destroyed. If you are young and relatively healthy then the chances of you dying from Covid appear tiny.

Protect/shield the elderly and those most at risk, continue to take precautions (face makes in confined spaces) and wash your hands regularly but most really should just start living their lives again

...you won’t be surprised to hear I’ll be off down the boozer again later....just doing my bit ; )

Sky Blue Pete

Not really Pete, we need to try to get back to some kind of normality so why shouldn’t they go back to their offices ? It’s been ok for supermarket workers, NHS workers etc etc to work through the peak and be around vast numbers of people who might have covid but not ok for people to go back to offices (who are likely to be following various distancing/prevention measures) when current infection numbers are low ?

I’ve avoided the misery of this thread for a while as any bit of good news is usually like finding a needle in a haystack but thought Id post just to bring some perspective to the numbers, horrific as they are.

• If you are obese you are three times more likely to die from covid and seven times more like to need a ventilator
  • Up to 31 May, there were zero deaths in the age range 0-14 years where Covid was the underlying cause
  • Out of every 100 people who die from Covid between 85-90 are over the age of 65
There are also a number of social, cultural and ethnic impacts on the numbers some of which are unlikely to impact a vast number of people

I’ll let far brighter people on here than me crunch the numbers any which way they want but we live in a population of say 70m, they reckon anywhere between 3m-6m have probably had Covid, yet only say 5k-6k of working age population have died from it, a vast majority of which have had at least one pre existing condition and/or were obese.

There will always be heart breaking anomalies, as there are with many unfair early deaths but people who want to stop the country getting back to some kind of normal need to take a reality check, by doing so, far more people will have their lives damaged/destroyed. If you are young and relatively healthy then the chances of you dying from Covid appear tiny.

Protect/shield the elderly and those most at risk, continue to take precautions (face makes in confined spaces) and wash your hands regularly but most really should just start living their lives again

...you won’t be surprised to hear I’ll be off down the boozer again later....just doing my bit ; )
Mainly cos there’s no need to take the risk. But there’s also the optimism and positive thinking aren’t the answers in this. Science and risk management are

CCFCSteve

Mainly cos there’s no need to take the risk. But there’s also the optimism and positive thinking aren’t the answers in this. Science and risk management are

hence the numbers quoted. Look at the high streets, we’re taking about hundreds of thousands of jobs/livelihoods (directly/indirectly attached to retail, leisure and hospitality) that are currently at risk. There is a need and the risk is currently minimal.

if there’s a spike then of course additional steps need to be take again but currently more people need to be returning to work/offices and normality

shmmeee

What business is it of the governments if I want to continue working from home?

fernandopartridge

My god, you're an intelligent person but your slavish towing of the Tory line is ridiculous. How is the 'need' to get back to 'normality' i.e. Thousands commuting rather than working from home for no productive reason greater than the need to protect public health?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

hence the numbers quoted. Look at the high streets, we’re taking about hundreds of thousands of jobs/livelihoods (directly/indirectly attached to retail, leisure and hospitality) that are currently at risk. There is a need and the risk is currently minimal.

if there’s a spike then of course additional steps need to be take again but currently more people need to be returning to work/offices and normality

The point for me is it's shown how fragile the way we work the economy is and reliant on the status quo. So for me what that means is a rethink on how things work, how we can change and adapt to those changes and become more robust. Instead it's just 'let's get back to the way things were'.

It's a massive opportunity missed. This could well be the defining moment where we had the chance to pull away from self-destruction and said "nah, fuck it"

CCFCSteve

My god, you're an intelligent person but your slavish towing of the Tory line is ridiculous. How is the 'need' to get back to 'normality' i.e. Thousands commuting rather than working from home for no productive reason greater than the need to protect public health?

Nothing to do with following anyone’s line Fernando. Unfortunately, that’s the stock response to anyone who doesn’t agree with peoples arguments on here.

I’m not saying everyone needs to go back into work, in actual fact I think one of the few benefits of this whole shitstorm will be more people WFH which is better for the environment and people’s work/life balance. However, there is no need for a vast majority of the population to be WFH all the time. Cities are currently ghost towns as I’d imagine only 5-10% are going in (I’ve been into Birmingham a couple of times in the week recently). Many businesses are/will soon be on there knees. I know of at least three independent bars/restaurants that have already closed and that’s with furlough scheme in place.

If guidelines are followed and workplaces are safe why shouldn’t employers ask staff to return? Even if it’s on a rota of 50% in one week and 50% the next to allow for social distancing/minimise risk further.

If employers want their staff to WFH, then again, that’s fine, but let’s not make this about the risks attached to Covid for most people.

I’ve put my view forward backed up by facts surrounding the limited risks involved for a majority of the working population. If people want to stay at home still that’s their prerogative but I for one, will try to live my life as best/normally as I can (that’s nothing to do with towing the Tory line, that’s just how I view life)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread