Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (17 Viewers)

shmmeee

Looks a bit different to the positions on the Political Compass website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah not sure what PC bases it’s positions off. This is the source for the animation, never heard of them before but was retweeted among political data Twitter so happy to trust it until given reason not to.

Chesdata

djr8369

Yeah not sure what PC bases it’s positions off. This is the source for the animation, never heard of them before but was retweeted among political data Twitter so happy to trust it until given reason not to.

Chesdata

Seems to drag everyone slightly left compared to PC and maddening use of colours. Interesting though.

clint van damme

Resign from what?? You want him to stop being an MP? I don’t think anyone’s asked for Cummings to stop being an advisor or Jenrick to stop being an MP, just that they lose their role in government.

Jenrick has just got away with costing the tax payer 40 million on a dodgy property deal and none of the Tories gave said a word- that's hypocrisy.

He owes George Floyd a pint.

clint van damme

Im not moving anything - I just see a great big dose of hypocrisy. Some on here tried to claim Mr Cummings trip was responsible for a spike in Durham deaths. I don’t think those same people have said Mr Gardiber should resign unless I missed something. I’ll have a look

No one can prove Cummings was responsible for the spike in Durham- no one can prove he wasn't.

But we do know he travelled with symptoms, against his own rules.

tisza

What is the relevance of June 15th as a date for all these UK measures atm?
See public transport etc. masks compulsory from June 15th. why not from today or even better from the beginning?
One of the 1st measures here was masks for public transport and no overcrowding either.

NorthernWisdom

See public transport etc. masks compulsory from June 15th. why not from today or even better from the beginning?
One of the 1st measures here was masks for public transport and no overcrowding either.
In this case, I assume the delay in implementing from today is to give people a chance to get / make them.

skyblue1991

Only correlation is the non-essential shops opening on the 15th June I believe. Also gives people time to obtain them in some way

PVA

Grant Shapps embarrassing himself (again) on the radio this morning.

Even gave it the 'we've only been in government since December' defence.

Just pathetic. That's the excuse that Karen and Barry on facebook use to defend their precious Boris, not an excuse you'd expect to hear from a cabinet minister ffs.

wingy

Just pathetic. That's the excuse that Karen and Barry on facebook use to defend their precious Boris, not an excuse you'd expect to hear from a cabinet minister ffs.

They were still locked in a honeymoon coital embrace .
The eyes were under the duvet ,not on the road ahead .

fernandopartridge

Indeed, but the point is that it resonates with the Karens of this world. I've seen a few posts on facebook of people saying its unprecedented, as if it is only the UK for whom this was unprecedented. People just see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. The brexit and subsequent election campaigns, from the Tory side have built this bizarre siege mentality "It's us or them" type thing and people for some reason do not see through it, or like somebody said, they don't want to reflect on what a fool they were for swallowing the crap.

skybluetony176

Just goes to show that being positive about this government ain’t worth a wank. When they said earlier in the week that it would be the end of June before the track and trace would be up and running I said that means August then. Which at the time was taken as a negative comment, turns out it was a positive comment given they’re now saying it’s going to be September. Which probably means October if you want to be positive.

NorthernWisdom

Indeed, but the point is that it resonates with the Karens of this world. I've seen a few posts on facebook of people saying its unprecedented, as if it is only the UK for whom this was unprecedented. People just see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. The brexit and subsequent election campaigns, from the Tory side have built this bizarre siege mentality "It's us or them" type thing and people for some reason do not see through it, or like somebody said, they don't want to reflect on what a fool they were for swallowing the crap.
What I don't get is you can still be for the general concept of what the Tory party stands for, you can still be for Brexit... but you can still accept that the messaging around this whole thing has been pretty awful from our side.

That doesn't invalidate your other points of view (although there may be arguments to be made about how if this is how they manage this particular area, how are they going to manage the rest... but let's start by moving a little first, eh ;))

tisza

What I don't get is you can still be for the general concept of what the Tory party stands for, you can still be for Brexit... but you can still accept that the messaging around this whole thing has been pretty awful from our side.

That doesn't invalidate your other points of view (although there may be arguments to be made about how if this is how they manage this particular area, how are they going to manage the rest... but let's start by moving a little first, eh ;))
It's still a Govt that was going on about being able to take strong, decisive measures on areas like Brexit and other policy areas but has failed at the 1st hurdle with COVID.
If you base your leadership on advising rather than insisting/forcing the necessary steps on dealing with this particular issue then you've failed.
You don't advise people not to carry guns or deal drugs or similar things are detrimental to public safety - you tell them through necesssary legislation and enforcement

NorthernWisdom

It's still a Govt that was going on about being able to take strong, decisive measures on areas like Brexit and other policy areas but has failed at the 1st hurdle with COVID.
As I said, there's certainly an argument to be made... but the 'art' as it were, is to get moving towards a consensus, surely?

The consensus on this pandemic is that the government needs to improve its messaging, and develop a strategy. If it does that it has a positive knock on effect for other things. If not, we need to be united that it's not good enough and that we as a people deserve better.

fernandopartridge

What's increasingly clear though that these issues are just symptomatic of what the Tory party stands for, and it is anything but the interests of Karen, Barry or anybody else.

Brighton Sky Blue

As I said, there's certainly an argument to be made... but the 'art' as it were, is to get moving towards a consensus, surely?

The consensus on this pandemic is that the government needs to improve its messaging, and develop a strategy. If it does that it has a positive knock on effect for other things. If not, we need to be united that it's not good enough and that we as a people deserve better.

When you swallow the sound bites and easy answers, and rub it in everyone’s face, you don’t have a right to complain. It’s incumbent on those with better and more popular policies and ideas to get better at electioneering.

Ring Of Steel

When you swallow the sound bites and easy answers, and rub it in everyone’s face, you don’t have a right to complain. It’s incumbent on those with better and more popular policies and ideas to get better at electioneering.

You are dead right. If it was only the communication and message that the government got wrong then that wouldn't have been so bad, but when you make huge blunders of everything and then compound it with nonsensical communication & lies then you really do have a recipe for a complete catastrophe.

At the start we had people saying "not the time to call them out", "they are listening to scientists", parking all logic in some kind of act of blind faith (hope?), and in fact getting pretty wound up that some in the media/ elsewhere were pointing out the glaringly obvious mistakes, as if it was somehow in bad taste. As it turns out, surprise surprise, it was actually dead right to call out the mistakes that were being made. All this stupidity of putting unquestioning faith in what the govt said was always going to be a disaster- I mean look at them, incompetent, patently dishonest & pathetically inept- it was obvious from day one they were going to end up top of the pile for "worst handling of the virus", and thats exactly how it has turned out. Too many people happily consuming the soundbites & reassuring words, looking for a bit of hope which blinded them to reality, which is that these people have killed thousands while telling you that you should be proud of how they have handled it. Unbelievable stupidity, political loyalties or just desperate for hope, who knows, but if there is one thing to come out of it then I hope its that people stop swallowing all the bullshit from the govt and call it out as it is. Like you say- if you keep swallowing it then you're the mug, you're behaving exactly as they want you to and you have zero right to complain.

wingy

There was a question posed to Sadiq Kahn ( I think) this morning .
How would it have panned out under Jeremy Corbyn ?

djr8369

The amount of times somebody has told me “they couldn’t have seen this coming”

@#%*!

1) There have been several readiness exercises for pandemics, even specifically for a novel coronavirus.

2) A pandemic is inevitable given a long enough duration of time.

3) The last 2 decades we’ve had several that could have become worse but were contained or didn’t spread.

4) As much as this applies to us it applies to every country and most are objectively doing better.

djr8369

This is why many people condoned the culture war and populism bit of course we were shouted down.

Brighton Sky Blue

You are dead right. If it was only the communication and message that the government got wrong then that wouldn't have been so bad, but when you make huge blunders of everything and then compound it with nonsensical communication & lies then you really do have a recipe for a complete catastrophe.

At the start we had people saying "not the time to call them out", "they are listening to scientists", parking all logic in some kind of act of blind faith (hope?), and in fact getting pretty wound up that some in the media/ elsewhere were pointing out the glaringly obvious mistakes, as if it was somehow in bad taste. As it turns out, surprise surprise, it was actually dead right to call out the mistakes that were being made. All this stupidity of putting unquestioning faith in what the govt said was always going to be a disaster- I mean look at them, incompetent, patently dishonest & pathetically inept- it was obvious from day one they were going to end up top of the pile for "worst handling of the virus", and thats exactly how it has turned out. Too many people happily consuming the soundbites & reassuring words, looking for a bit of hope which blinded them to reality, which is that these people have killed thousands while telling you that you should be proud of how they have handled it. Unbelievable stupidity, political loyalties or just desperate for hope, who knows, but if there is one thing to come out of it then I hope its that people stop swallowing all the bullshit from the govt and call it out as it is. Like you say- if you keep swallowing it then you're the mug, you're behaving exactly as they want you to and you have zero right to complain.

We are also in this position because of the failure of those with the right ideas to get their messaging and election strategy right. G was right about one thing, the Tories are experts at winning elections because they know how to play the game. Now when they're in, they're a mess because they're a) incompetent and b) working with a busted ideology, but that doesn't matter when you switch into gear every 5 years. I hope behind the scenes that Starmer and co are planning how to beat these people at their own game.

tisza

It's not about an ability to deliver messages all the time. In this specific case it's about delivering definite, enforced rules, not advisable guidelines. Advisable guidelines don't work - eg pictures of the beaches etc. last few weeks, unclear fining systems and so on.
Nearly every other country (regardless of political persuasion of govts) produced clear rules/procedures with clear consequences if they weren't followed.

Users who are viewing this thread