Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (25 Viewers)

BodicoteSkyBlue

The new variant has been detected in Belgium. So presumably it'll be fucking everywhere by now or in the very near future.

Hopefully it's not as bad as some are saying.

I’m currently working in Belgium, here until the 8th December. I hope it’s not as bad as some are suggesting too!!

Kieranp96

Already evidence is starting to come. Out of south africa that its still inly rhe invaccinated endi g up in hospital, also all vaccinated cases, all were picked up during routine test not symptoms, only Belgium case was picked up due to symptoms outside SA

fernandopartridge

Genuine question - is it even a semi-regular occurrence for viruses to become more deadly over time?
From what I've read it's a myth that viruses necessarily become weaker over time. There is not currently the evidence to say with any authority that this new variant is more deadly than any previous one.

Brighton Sky Blue

From what I've read it's a myth that viruses necessarily become weaker over time. There is not currently the evidence to say with any authority that this new variant is more deadly than any previous one.

With asymptomatic transmission for COVID being so prevalent, there is no difference to it in how lethal it is. All that really matters for its natural selection processes is transmissibility

SBAndy

With asymptomatic transmission for COVID being so prevalent, there is no difference to it in how lethal it is. All that really matters for its natural selection processes is transmissibility

Tried reading this a few times and can’t process what you’re trying to say, could you explain?

Brighton Sky Blue

Tried reading this a few times and can’t process what you’re trying to say, could you explain?

Unlike other viruses you can pass this on before symptoms show. So, what happens to you once infected is less important because you will probably have infected others regardless of whether you become seriously ill or not.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Genuine question - is it even a semi-regular occurrence for viruses to become more deadly over time?

Logically they should become less deadly over time because the quicker it kills you the less time is has to spread. So the longer you stay alive the more it will spread and then the body's immune system has more time to learn how to fight it and then if it mutates the body at least has a basic idea of what to do against it.

It should be most deadly when it first crosses species, because it's total alien to our defences and it has possibly infected a dead-end host.

But I'm sure there would be some exceptions.

Philosorapter

I’m currently working in Belgium, here until the 8th December. I hope it’s not as bad as some are suggesting too!!

Spent one dreary New Year's Eve in Belgium. It is as bad as everyone says.

Highlight though, I did get tear-gassed on the Champs-Élysées by the Arc de Triomphe on another New Year's Eve celebration.

Keep safe!

Last edited:

Kieranp96

Sounds good, especially that its starting to come out that very little symtoms if any of this new omicron.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127_175934_com.twitter.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20211127_175934_com.twitter.android.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 34

Kieranp96

BJ Just announced they will be asking for a reduxtionnin time frame between 2nd and 3rd aswell as face mask and stuff being implemented.

skyblue1991

Sounds good, especially that its starting to come out that very little symtoms if any of this new omicron.
I still don't know why this isn't announced in the wide stream media along with the daily figures, that would prompt me to get vaccinated ASAP if I weren't

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AOM

PVA

Masks mandatory in shops and on public transport too

I was in Spain a few weeks ago and they had these rules. Felt weird coming home and not having to wear masks again!

Sick Boy

Masks mandatory in shops and on public transport too

I was in Spain a few weeks ago and they had these rules. Felt weird coming home and not having to wear masks again!
Its the same in Italy, I was in London in October and it felt really surreal over there.

ajsccfc

Seems harsh that they stopped variants being named Indian, South African or whatever to avoid those countries having the negative connotations, and now they're all Greek instead

Nick

Administrator
It's getting tedious now. It's literally never going to end.

Anybody died from this new variant yet?

Kieranp96

Same here, only booked flights a few days ago as well.
I lost £200 in planned flights back to the uk, £120 in train tickets and £20 in a lft, next issue is shipping my laptop to my girlfriends so i can work from home, as i wont return to the uk now not until they scrap pcr testing and isolstion,

Users who are viewing this thread